Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: problem with mbp 2006?  (Read 5205 times)

mylogon

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
    • Coundon Computers
  • Experience: Familiar
problem with mbp 2006?
« on: November 22, 2011, 06:44:21 AM »
hi guys.
im using a 25'' led external display with my 2006 mbp 1.1.
i am connecting through dvi - hdmi through an adaptor. this works pretty well, but there is one problem. it happens when a timer socket in the same room switches off. the backlight stays on, but the display goes blank for about 1 second. i have noticed this also happening when i go to plug in a 3.5mm jack to some external speakers. not only does this happen while im plugging it in, but if i touch it anywhere else on the laptop also.
the first thing that came to mind was some kind of earth problem, but i just don't know.
i am worried this will cause damage to my ex.monitor as the first one i had stopped reckognising hdmi devices and needed replacing from amazon.
do you think i am surging the display? i don't want another dead monitor to deal with.

if you think the problem lies within the laptop, then i have no qualms with dismantling as it is on its last legs anyway and probably worth less than the monitor!
im also pretty good with electronics so i should be okay.

help would be very well appreciated.

Thank you, all.
luke
"Give thanks upon thou who help thee the most on computerhope" - Shakespeare

billiehawkins

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Re: problem with mbp 2006?
    « Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 04:08:35 AM »
    If I am reading this correctly: You have something - a lamp or fish tank - on a timer. When the timer clicks on/off, the Laptop display flicks off for a second?

I'm pretty sure that is a Ground Fault. I would SERIOUSLY consider having your wiring checked, and using Surge protectors/supressors on all your electronic devices. Eventually, those flicks of electricity will fry all the devices on the circuit. It also sounds like the grounding on other devices in that room are getting surged consistently - plugging in speakers to the headphone port should NEVER alter the screen.

"Any short circuit finding at least some of its path to the earth by way of something other than the neutral wire. It is a "leaking" of current off of the intended path. Most shocks are an example."