Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Fax over DSL  (Read 4459 times)

jcmack

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    Fax over DSL
    « on: November 22, 2011, 06:56:36 AM »
    I'm getting rid of AT&T POT but retaining their DSL. The only problem is my stand alone fax machine will no longer work. Is there a COMBO printer available that can do FAX over DSL? I can't use one that will scan in to PDF or another format to be attached to an email.

Thanks, Jim

mylogon

Beginner

• Yes
      • Coundon Computers
    Re: Fax over DSL
    « Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 07:32:07 AM »
    im not familiar with american services, but is you mean DSL as in broadband, then have you tried attaching a telephone filter you your fax machine?
    "Give thanks upon thou who help thee the most on computerhope" - Shakespeare

jcmack

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 07:55:35 AM »
      I will no longer have telephone service (voice), just ADSL from AT&T over same line. Filter will not work anymore.

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 08:03:35 AM »
      I will no longer have telephone service (voice), just ADSL from AT&T over same line. Filter will not work anymore.

Fax machines work through the voice phone line. You will need active voice phone service to fax from the machine. That's how the machines work, they call, through the phone line, the receiving machine on the other end.

Other alternatives to send documents without a phone line would be to pay for an online faxing service to whom you can send documents and they will fax them for you at a cost, or to scan and email documents which is an alternative a lot of companies use now.

mylogon

Beginner

• Yes
        • Coundon Computers
      « Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 08:18:54 AM »
      Fax machines work through the voice phone line. You will need active voice phone service to fax from the machine. That's how the machines work, they call, through the phone line, the receiving machine on the other end.

Other alternatives to send documents without a phone line would be to pay for an online faxing service to whom you can send documents and they will fax them for you at a cost, or to scan and email documents which is an alternative a lot of companies use now.

We can't cancel our telephone service independently in the UK (as far as I am aware) so this is new to me. So yeah, I was about to say pretty much that.

I can't use one that will scan in to PDF or another format to be attached to an email.

How come?

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 08:24:52 AM »
      We can't cancel our telephone service independently in the UK (as far as I am aware) so this is new to me. So yeah, I was about to say pretty much that.

That varies with providers. Some providers require you to also pay for their voice service, however it's not actually necessary for DSL. As long as you're actually physically connected to the phone system, DSL will work even if you don't have phone service.

jcmack

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 08:32:16 AM »

How come?

There's only a couple recipients I fax to and even they, very rarely. They won't accept faxes attached to email.

mylogon

Beginner

• Yes
          • Coundon Computers
        « Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »
        have you tried over the internet services, such as
        http://www.freepopfax.com/

or try following this tutorial
        http://www.ehow.com/how_4550668_send-fax-over-internet.html
        hope this helps,
        luke

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 08:58:09 AM »
        I think your only solution may be software-based...
        SoftPedia has some Free and low cost software solutions listed at their site.

Best of Luck.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 09:34:48 AM »
        There's only a couple recipients I fax to and even they, very rarely. They won't accept faxes attached to email.
        I'm wondering why?  Do they not have a computer and an Internet connection?  If they have them, then why won't they accept faxes attached to email?

mylogon

Beginner

• Yes
          • Coundon Computers
        « Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 09:48:10 AM »
        I'm wondering why?  Do they not have a computer and an Internet connection?  If they have them, then why won't they accept faxes attached to email?

Simple, people are set in their ways, refusing to move with technology causing havoc for everyone else who has to compensate for them. A lot of companies, namely the public sectors, are the same - backwards.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 09:50:46 AM »
        Although that may be true the only logical reason i see for it...backwards or not is the fact that a signed FAX is legally binding...whereas an e-mail is not.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jcmack

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 09:52:42 AM »

They are associated with our state Government. They won't do anything outside of their job description. They are not involved in the least with anything classified, but since the system is set up fax only, it precludes any e mail problems.

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 09:58:19 AM »
          They are associated with our state Government. They won't do anything outside of their job description. They are not involved in the least with anything classified, but since the system is set up fax only, it precludes any e mail problems.
          Well, I think that's a real example of mylogon's comment:
          Simple, people are set in their ways, refusing to move with technology...
          Anyway, have you looked at http://www.freepopfax.com/ that mylogon suggested?  Looks to me like it is a good solution here.

jcmack

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 10:03:56 AM »
            I would be faxing some personal info. I don't know if I want a third party involved. It's worth reserching though and I REALLY appreciate the info.]

Jim

soybean

Genius
            « Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 10:18:44 AM »
            On rare occasions when I needed to fax (before I owned my current All-in_One printer), I've gone to the local Kroger store.  They have fax service for a small fee.  Other similar options might be available at Kinkos/FedEX, UPS stores, and Staples.