Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Epson r200 printer  (Read 3954 times)

davecabezo

Topic Starter

Beginner

Epson r200 printer
    « on: November 22, 2011, 03:52:38 AM »
    Hi,
    I have 2 Epson R200 printers, 1 of which I keep as a spare. I haven't used the printer for about a week and when I switched on the printer went through it's normal cycle but then the 2 red lights flashed and the printer wont go any further. I've tried everything I can including holding down different combinations of the 3 buttons but I still get the same result!
    I then got out my spare Epson R200 and I can't even get it to switch on, the carriage seems to be locked as it will not move at all manually, it's just my luck that both printers decide to go awol together. Another problem is that I live in Tenerife so there isn't any service people I can turn to.

Help please,

Dave

mylogon

Beginner

• Yes
      • Coundon Computers
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Epson r200 printer
    « Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 08:14:15 AM »
    Hi Dave,
    Just a daft one, but have you checked that there is definitely nothing jamming the printer ie small bit of paper etc. Otherwise...

It appears that is a problematic printer. It could be down to 2 things. Firstly try following this http://www.resetters.com/download/r200-ap.zip?osCsid=ab829996c33c98f4adbe0d9d147c6e1 link to which it will download a zip file with an EXE file to run. Unfortunately I can't test this as I don't have the same problem, or the printer  :-\ This is supposed to be a program that resets some of the software on the printer to make it show error signs when it is not supposed to.

If this does not work, then there is another fix that might work. There is a conflict with XP SP2 with this printer. If you have XP SP2 then this i meant to be the fix for it:
    FOLLOWING http://HTTP://TINYURL.COM/6QG39
    Solution
    Download the DOS Application Patch for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (part number 6945970000). After downloading the file, double-click it and follow the on-screen instructions to install the patch, which will restore the missing file needed for running DOS-based programs and processes in Windows XP.
    TURN OF COMPUTER RESTART THEN RE INSERT PRINTER DISC AND RE INSTALL

I under stand that these solutions are both a bit risky with being EXE files from the internet, so if you have any anti-virus software I would check it. But I found to mention of problems. If these do not fix the problem, then try a bit of Google. It is littered with this kind of thing.

Top tip: I recommend a Canon printer next time. I've never had a problem with them - even the budget ones. I can't say the same about Epson though.

Luke
    "Give thanks upon thou who help thee the most on computerhope" - Shakespeare

davecabezo

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 08:37:17 AM »
      Many thanks Luke.
      I have already checked the items you mention and I now have both units on my bench in the garage. I've dismantled 1 of them but even with a service manual which I downloaded I'm still having problems knowing what I'm looking for. All I can do is check 1 against the other but I don't have much faith. What makes it worse is that I've about 200 cartridges for the printers which looks like I'm going to have to try and sell on ebay but a bit more difficult from Tenerife re postage etc. I must have a printer which also prints cd's so that narrows the field somewhat.

Regards,

Dave

mylogon

Beginner

• Yes
        • Coundon Computers
      « Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 08:50:55 AM »
      have you tried lightscribe? i've not tried that in years, but im sure it has come a long way. or is that a bit of a daft question?

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 09:18:28 AM »
      How old are these printers?  Has the spare one been used much?  How long since it was last used?  Why would anyone buy 200 or more ink cartridges at once?  Do you do a very high volume of printing?  Based on your comments, I don't get that impression.
      « Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 09:35:49 AM by soybean »

mylogon

Beginner

• Yes
        • Coundon Computers
      « Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 09:24:10 AM »
      Did they all fall off the back off a wagon? ;) But seriously. Good question. Are you starting up some kind of printing service? If you are, then they don't sound like the most reliable printers to rely on.

davecabezo

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 09:43:19 AM »
        If you must know I print a lot of photographs with photoshop but also print a lot of DVD's. I bought the second printer as a standby when I found a supplier of cartridges on ebay who was very cheap. 1 printer is approx 9 years old and the 2nd possibly 6.

Dave

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 10:59:26 AM »
        I live in Tenerife so there isn't any service people I can turn to

Desde el 2002, año de nacimiento de Mantenimientos Informáticos Tenerife, hasta hoy, la empresa a evolucionado a la vez que las necesidades de nuestros clientes. Nuestro personal técnico, con más de 15 años de experiencia, la calidad de nuestros productos y un servicio profesional adaptado a sus espectativas, hacen de Mantenimientos Informáticos Tenerife una opción que responde a todas y cada una de las necesidades informáticas

Con la finalidad de ofrecer soluciones integrales al cliente o empresa, hemos ampliado la oferta de servicios.

Reparación de ordenadores portátiles
            Implantación de redes inalámbricas
            Venta de equipos informáticos
            Punto de venta o Partner de ASUS, Acer, HP, Epson, LG, Conceptronic, Benq y Microsoft
            Recuperación de datos
            Hosting y diseño web
            Presencia en internet

Para más información llámenos al 922 26 41 33.

http://mitcanarias.com/servicio-tecnico/

Mind you, the r200 is a cheap printer first sold in 2004. Not really worth paying much when you think what today's much more advanced printers cost. Still those guys might have an idea how to get them going.