Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Toshiba Satellite L650 will NOT power on  (Read 10749 times)

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Toshiba Satellite L650 will NOT power on
« on: November 23, 2011, 06:08:53 PM »
alright. so im kinda the repair man here trying to fix this Laptop. here's the story. my friend was using her laptop when she spilled lemonade on it, which the computer kept working after wards. she used the computer for about another 45 minutes before she shut it down. After turning the computer off she claims it wouldn't start for her no more. WHen i looked at the computer it wouldnt do nothing until i plugged the power adapter in. At that moment the computer turned on but had a blank display. I turned it off and then on again and the same thing. Now once again like she said, it wont do NOTHING. the power lights still show it charging but wont turn on. is there a way to clear bios maybe or something to get it to at least post? thanks for the help. No idea on specs sorry.

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
Re: Toshiba Satellite L650 will NOT power on
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 07:01:56 PM »
i have taken the computer apart and there is NO decay from the drink, only the keyboard is dirty. so what is the issue?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 07:48:14 PM »
I would try removing the battery...wait 5 minutes and hit the power button a few times with nothing connected...
Then hook up to the mains...no battery and see...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 04:07:47 PM »
alright. i took the entire computer apart. nothing. now it turns on ever time with a blank screen, once i got it to the bios but then it disapeared again. im not even using the battery anymore.

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 07:00:02 PM »
Are you sure nothing leaked past the keyboard?

Remove the keyboard. Plug in a USB keyboard. Try again.

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 07:21:43 PM »
i already did this thanks for submitting it. at first i noticed i was able to boot the machine when hitting a bunch of keys on the keyboard. then realized when unplugging it the computer booted. must be the acid from the lemonade that connected all the circuits in the keboard

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 08:14:10 PM »
If it works with the laptop's keyboard disconnected and a USB keyboard connect, the laptop's keyboard is likely messed up. The lemonade is closing the circuits on the keyboard making it appear that keys are pressed when it's turned on. This same thing happened to two laptops I've worked on recently, one with soda water spilt on it and the other with coffee. Surprisingly, I was able to get the coffee keyboard working again, but the soda water one seemed to be permanently damaged as nothing I did to it would get it working correctly again. It ended up having to have the keyboard replace at a cost of $50 if I remember right.

If you can get under the keys and clean the keyboard, there's a chance you might be able to make it work again. The keys come off most laptop keyboards, but the plastic bits are very delicate and can easily break if removed too forcefully.

The reason it boots if you press other keys when booting is because it basically ignores the signal from the stuck key when another key is pressed and released. If you can do this to get into Windows, open Notepad and test all the keys (or download some keyboard testing software) to determine which keys are the culprits and see if you can clean them.