Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to get online in "Safe Mode"?  (Read 10184 times)

Fordtruckmaniac

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
How to get online in "Safe Mode"?
« on: September 01, 2005, 01:35:34 AM »
I am wanting to know how to get online in safe mode. I was given a "built" computer that has XP Pro for the OS. Of course it had crashed, that was why it was given to me.

I got into it in safe mode and cleaned a ton of stuff out, games, AOL stuff out the wazoo, Yahoo, etc. The problem it had was things were just manifesting by themselves. It had an old Spybot 1.2 edition in it. I ran it without it being on-line, because at the time it would not even connect. I ran Mcaffe Stinger trough it in safe mode with the system restore shut off. It found nothing, 3 times ( I just wanted to make sure ). It also had an acient Adaware it too. I downloaded CCleaner to a floppy and ran it through it too. That was the break where I could get online. I finally managed to get a new Adaware in it and Spybot. The first run of Adaware with update caught 1195 critical issues. I got AV Personal finally loaded in it. It caught 50 some trojans and a worm.

I am also working on getting Microsoft updates loaded in to it. The history showed it had never had an update loaded into it.

My problem is I can't get online while in safe mode. I tried "Safe mode with Networking" and it does not respond. I would like to be able to use safe mode because some of the downloads get right to the finish line and then freeze up. XX!#%#!, after you have sat for an hour or more getting a download.

I wanted to put Avast in it for an AV but it freezes right at the bell. I can't get Spybot updated because it too freezes at the bell.  I can't get Firefox to load, same thing. Same with trying to load Microsoft IE 6.

Sorry for the letter, just trying to get as much info in here as possible.

Any ideas???

Thanks much.

Also now, just now and again it has a single window open by itself. Its shopping junk.  And, no disks came with it. I myself have ME but it came with my Gateway.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 01:39:11 AM by Fordtruckmaniac »
 Fordtruckmaniac

Raptor

Re: How to get online in "Safe Mode"?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 07:58:14 AM »
I would consider the system compromised beyond recognition. You are better off reformatting and reinstalling.

You can go online in safe mode by selecting safe mode with network support during the F8 menu. This may only be supported by Windows XP.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 09:13:18 AM »
    My safe mode (w2k) with networking doesn't load modem drivers so if you're on dialup you're probably screwed.

Fordtruckmaniac

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    « Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 01:21:04 AM »
    Yes I am figuring its time to throw in the towel on it.

And yes, I am on dial up. I noticed when I went in and checked the internet connection using the wizard, it would only allow for DSL or Broadband, while in "Safe Mode with networking".

So can a person reload a program in it from software from another computer that I own?

I have ME that came with my Gateway that I bought new in 2000.

The previous owner did not give me the XP Pro disks with the computer. It is a custom build computer, no brand name.

What do you have to do to reload a program into a computer? Where do you go into the computer to do this? The local computer guy wants $160.00 for XP Home with a license and to install it completely. I can't go that. Getting skinned bad enough at the gas pumps.

This seems like a good computer if I could get it lined out.

I am not a whiz, but I can follow directions well.

Thanks much.
     Fordtruckmaniac

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 01:46:45 AM »
      Fordtruckmaniac......I would try going back to where you got the free pc and ask to borrow the Xp Pro disk.......

When you scan it with Ad-aware SE personal and SpyBot ...is it coming up clean now ?

Have you been able to install a updated anti virus app ?

dl65 ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Fed

• Sage
        « Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 02:27:27 AM »
        w2k RULES!

Fordtruckmaniac

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
        « Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 03:25:40 PM »
        I am checking if the PO has the XP Pro disk. My son's girlfriend's family had it, and Its hard to say. They bought a new computer when this one puked and gave it me to tinker with.

And yes it is pretty much staying clean now. But I can't download some things such as updates, it freezes right at the bell.

Am I out of luck trying to use the ME software in it?

Where can I find out about wiping an OS and reinstalling a new one.
         Fordtruckmaniac

Fed

• Sage

Fordtruckmaniac

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
          « Reply #8 on: September 03, 2005, 04:20:24 PM »
          Well the PO thinks they do still have the XP Pro disk, they have to dig it up.

I have not read the link above yet, I just jumped on here real quick to check for any new replies.

I will read it later tonight.

Thanks.
           Fordtruckmaniac

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2005, 10:18:28 PM »
          Legally the Gateway disks will not work, and practically, they probably wouldn't anyway as most of these OEM's install tricks to make sure they only go on the machine they were sold with.

Best to cough up the cash if you want a usable machine (you could probably install it yourself) OR use Linux which is free - all you have to do is download it. If you are doing dialup, that may be a stumbling block, depending on what kind of modem is in there and who the ISP is. If nothing else you may want to try one of the live CD's to try. It won't make your situation worse!

Mac

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2005, 02:22:27 PM »
          Well the PO thinks they do still have the XP Pro disk, they have to dig it up.

I have not read the link above yet, I just jumped on here real quick to check for any new replies.

I will read it later tonight.

Thanks.

Let's wait for that! XP Pro is a real good OS if you can maintain it right.

My startup time is 60 seconds, shutdown is 10 seconds and that is with a 1000MHz PIII.

I was real impressed with this bit...

"I downloaded CCleaner to a floppy and ran it through it too. That was the break where I could get online. I finally managed to get a new Adaware in it and Spybot. The first run of Adaware with update caught 1195 critical issues. I got AV Personal finally loaded in it. It caught 50 some trojans and a worm."

So just wait to see if the XP CD turns up and then tell us if it has SP2 on it already.

Give a little more info. Have you re-seated the RAM modules? If the computer was in transit it is always prudent to take a careful look inside to see if everything stayed in place, especially if it was placed in the transport with the motherboard at the top.

RAM modules are clipped in place but may need to be re-seated anyway as bad contact with the mobo is a common failing. Other PCB cards - can - fall out though and wiring can come loose if the plugs were not pushed fully home.

(Needs a 'This side up!' sticker on the opposite side.) :)

So let us know the specifications and drive size and if you right-click My Computer and open Properties you'll see Processor, RAM and Service Pack level.

Irrespective of getting the CD you can always make a drive image if what you have on there now is working half-right so you can get back to it.

If you get the XP CD, with the same service pack level as IS installed on the hard drive you can run - sfc /scannow - and replace system files.

You can also re-install IE6 if it isn't working right.

In the Run window type - %systemroot%\INF - and press Enter. Scroll down to - ie.inf - right-click on the file and choose - install - from the context menu.

Have you tried Safe Mode with networking?

Keep on tapping the F8 key whilst starting and choose from the menu.