Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows 98 resolution problems  (Read 54285 times)

Raptor

Re: windows 98 resolution problems
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2005, 08:37:22 AM »
FED
I went to that site but still don't know what i have to install or download...sorry for being such an idiot...help please....ty also i posted a list of some of the drivers available but it wouldn't let me post them all...thank you again :-[

Try the following:

1. Click on Search on the left of driverguide.com
2. Select Graphics & Video Adapter
3. Click on the S for S3.
3. Copy  S3 Trio64 V2/DX/GX (86c775/86c785) into the search bar
4. Try the only driver available by that search result. It is for Windows 98SE, but it may work for Windows 98 as well.

It is a case of trial and error with those older videocards.

Can you verify one thing for me?

When you go to the device manager as I explained earlier on

1. Right click on My Computer -> 2. Properties -> 3. Hardware tab -> Device Manager

Can you tell me if your videocard is present in that list? Or is there an 'unknown device'?

freespirit

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2005, 08:51:22 AM »
here is what is in the device manager
cd rom, disc drives, display adapters, floppy disc  controllers, hard disc controllers, keyboard, modem, monitor, mouse, network adapters, ports(lpt&com),sound video and game controllers,system devices,universal serial bus controllers.  each one has a + sign by it and has things in it. in display adapters it says---S3 Trio64V2-DX/GX(775/785)..but didn't see anything unknown.

Raptor

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2005, 09:56:57 AM »
That does mean that the videocard is detected and recognized.

Simply changing the resolution did not work you said? In what way does it not work?

freespirit

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2005, 10:02:32 AM »
i go to control panel, then to display, then to settings, then to screen area...then i change it...and it says i must restart my computer...and when i do this it just goes back to the way it was...also in my taskbar there is a computer and when i put my cursor on it it says 649X480 16 color and if i click on it it says adjust display properties and if i click on that it takes me to the same thing (screen area and color) and if i change it again i have to restart the computer and again it just goes back to they way it was.

Raptor

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2005, 10:06:50 AM »
Attempt to adjust the resolution without restarting the computer. This option may also be available.

If this option is not available, enable it from the advanced menu. Go to the settings tab and then to advanced.

I can not give you precise instructions, I do not have Windows 98 installed or set up at the moment.  
« Last Edit: September 10, 2005, 10:08:47 AM by Raptor »

freespirit

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2005, 10:11:31 AM »
i went into adbvance and selected apply new settings without restarting and tried it again with still no success... :'(  thank you for all your help

Raptor

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2005, 10:17:28 AM »
Can you recall what has caused this to happen?

freespirit

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2005, 10:23:58 AM »
no i can't...this computer was given to me and it has been like this since i recieved it...the person that had it before me has passed away and the family doesn't know if it was always like this or just started

Raptor

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2005, 10:43:40 AM »
no i can't...this computer was given to me and it has been like this since i recieved it...the person that had it before me has passed away and the family doesn't know if it was always like this or just started

You have scanned for Viruses, Trojan Horses and Spyware?

freespirit

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2005, 10:45:59 AM »
i am using Norton and it didn't find anything...any other suggestions...sorry and thanx for trying

Raptor

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2005, 10:51:51 AM »
i am using Norton and it didn't find anything...any other suggestions...sorry and thanx for trying

Plenty. Choose one from each list.

If all the scans come out clean, we can remove the drivers and reinstall them. But first we've got to rule out the chance that your problem is caused by malware.

Virus scanners
AVG Free
-- Anti virus scanner
Trend Micro Housecall
-- Online anti virus scanner.

Anti spy/malware
Spybot Search & Destroy
-- Anti spyware scanner
Adaware SE Personal
-- Anti spyware scanner

Firewalls
Use both a hardware and software firewall.
Be advised as dual software firewalls may cause problems

ZoneAlarm Free
-- Free firewall - more user friendly
Sygate Personal
-- Free firewall - more configuration options

freespirit

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2005, 11:05:26 AM »
i am installing those things now...the virus scanner, the firewall, and spybot...this may take a while though...just to let you know if i have to reinstall anything i don't have any of the discs or anything for the video card...if i need them

freespirit

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2005, 11:14:35 AM »
oh yea i forgot to ask after i install the new things do i have to shut down or exit the norton program?

Raptor

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2005, 11:27:30 AM »
oh yea i forgot to ask after i install the new things do i have to shut down or exit the norton program?

Depends on which program you want to keep, it is unadviseable to run more than one software firewall or virus scanner at the same time.

If Norton has expired, remove it and keep AVG Free.

You might need to get used to using a Firewall, it is not a scanner. It helps you control what programs access the Internet and warns you when someone is attempting to access your computer. Not quite relevant at the moment, but useful to have none the less.

Once you are done using the scanners (Such as Spybot and AVG Free) report back and tell me if they found anything.

I also advise you to install Adaware SE, as this program detects more than Spybot S&D.

freespirit

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2005, 04:17:13 PM »
ok i finally finished downloading everything...and avg found Sobig worm in c\windows\msccn32.exe...whatever that is but it got rid of it...and the ad aware program found 49 objects..Alexa or something like that and fixed those..then i tried to change my resolutions again ...but still no luck...i have to go out for a bit...but will check back when i get back...thank you again for all your help