Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Choosing a new Graphics card  (Read 2450 times)

Bob_Smith

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Choosing a new Graphics card
    « on: December 03, 2011, 06:03:09 PM »
    I've had this hd 5670 1 gig for a while now and would like to get a slightly better one.
    This particular graphics card has been very bothersome. Not being able to update the drivers to anything later than about a year ago being the most annoying.
    So I've finally hit that point where being unable to update my drivers has hindered me a bit. (Assassin's Creed Revelations missing texture bug of sorts said to have been fixed in the latest driver)

I'm just looking for any advice on choosing a new one. I was thinking of just getting something along the lines of the 5700-5900 series even if it only improves performance slightly.

Asus M2N-E : Motherboard
    HD 5670 radeon 1 gig : Graphics Card
    athlon ii x4 955 be : CPU
    4 gigs of ram
    120 gig harddrive + 2 externals (1 tb & 750 gig)
    Windows XP Sp3
    600 watt : PSU

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Choosing a new Graphics card
    « Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 07:13:26 PM »
    You might want to consider the Radeon HD 6850, which currently has the best price/performance ratio of the high-end cards and costs $144 on Newegg. It only requires 1 PCI-E power connector and a 500W PSU.

The Radeon HD 6870s can be had for as little as $20 more than the HD 6850s:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=100006662&isNodeId=1&Description=Radeon+HD+6850&x=0&y=0
    HD 6850
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=100006662&isNodeId=1&Description=Radeon+HD+6870&x=0&y=0
    HD 6870

FYI it is a huge leap going from the HD 5670 to the 6850:
    http://www.hwcompare.com/5905/radeon-hd-5670-vs-radeon-hd-6850/
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Bob_Smith

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Choosing a new Graphics card
      « Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 10:14:56 PM »
      Ah well that does look like a fine card. Just one last question: Any particular brand you'd suggest for the card itself? My 5670 was an xfx and seemed to run alright.
      Is there a certain brand that's known to produce higher quality cards or is it more about just personal preference?

Thanks for the help didn't quite expect that much from one response.

Bob_Smith

Topic Starter

Rookie