Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows 98 resolution problems  (Read 54276 times)

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: windows 98 resolution problems
    « Reply #60 on: September 10, 2005, 10:54:09 PM »
    Yes, create a directory, C:\vdrive or whatever and save it to there.
    Then unzip the file & see what's in it.

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #61 on: September 10, 2005, 11:00:43 PM »
      Username = drivers
      Password = all

freespirit

« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2005, 10:04:10 AM »
      i went to the site you told me and the only 2 options i have for downloading is to my hard drive or i have to buy a driver guide cd....help.... :-[

Raptor

« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2005, 11:14:32 AM »
      i went to the site you told me and the only 2 options i have for downloading is to my hard drive or i have to buy a driver guide cd....help.... :-[

Download to Hard Disk Drive.

i just found out something else...i don't know if it is relevant or not...but some of sites i try to go to my computer screen just keeps flashing.  the page shows in between the fashes...one of the sites is one that my son goes to..neopets...this is a site that he visited often on our old computer...like i said i don't know if this has any relevance to my other problem or not...thank you again

Your drivers definitely need replacing.

Do you understand what you have to do now?

freespirit

« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2005, 11:31:00 AM »
      yes i think my only solution is to do the uninstall thing..but how or where do i get the new driver to install....sorry for being so computer illeterate

Raptor

« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2005, 11:38:33 AM »
      yes i think my only solution is to do the uninstall thing..but how or where do i get the new driver to install....sorry for being so computer illeterate

No need to apologize.

You first have to make certain you have downloaded the driver you need from driverguide.com (s3_64v2.zip)

(Additional: You need Winzip to unpack the driver)

You have to uninstall the videocard entry from the Device Manager as discussed in one of my previous posts.

Once that is done, the computer needs to be reset. Windows will normally load and tell you that new hardware is found. Either use the Windows 98 CD and go to the directories (If even prompted) I stated previously and let it do its work. If it can not find the drivers, you will have to cancel the wizard and install the drivers manually.

You will have an Internet connection and will be able to use your computer normally throughout the process. (Apart from when restarting, ofcourse) so if you need to, you can contact us on the forum. (The colours will look ugly, but that is temporary.)

freespirit

« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2005, 12:15:08 PM »
      ok i will try that tomorrow when i get my win98 cd