Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop shut down issue  (Read 2652 times)

Bou

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Laptop shut down issue
    « on: December 24, 2011, 01:02:32 AM »
    I have an ASUS laptop, running Windows 7, and recently I've started having a minor problem closing my laptop. As far as I recall, it started out of nowhere. I have my power settings configured so my laptop is supposed to sleep when I close it, but instead it shuts all the way down. When I start it back up again, I get that message telling me there was an unexpected shutdown. Does anyone know what's up with this?

Daisymae70

Beginner

• IowaMrs70 Blog
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Laptop shut down issue
    « Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 05:35:19 AM »
    Lately, I have been googling a lot about the sleep functions with Windows 7. And what I have discovered isn't very promising.  I have changed various sleep settings to get my computer to "stay" asleep until I wake it up and haven't figured out how yet.  It randomly wakes up in the middle of the night and has nothing to do with updates.  One post on this forum, person has windows 7 going to sleep and she has it set to never go to sleep.  So unless someone posts who has won this battle I guess we will just hope for the best.  Sounds like it is a glitch with Win 7 sleep functions.
    The Truth is the Truth whether you believe it or not.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Mulreay

Egghead
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Space and Science
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Laptop shut down issue
    « Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 09:16:59 AM »
    One option is to look in your BIOS settings

Usually, you must press a key (such as F2, F12, Delete, or Esc) or a key combination immediately after you turn on your computer before Windows starts. For more information, check the information that came with your computer or go to the computer manufacturer's website.

When in BIOS change your 'suspend ACPI options'. If it's set to S1 and S3 or just S1 then change it to S3 only.

You can also try to change the settings in control panel
    Control panel - Power options - change when computer sleeps - advanced power settings and set the following options

Allow hybrid Sleep > Turn off
    Allow wake timers > turn on/turn off try both settings

USB selective suspend > Turn on

let us know how you get on.  :)
    For when the One Great Scorer comes
    To write against your name,
    He marks - not that you won or lost,
    But how you played the game.

Owner of www.spaceandscience.co.uk and YouTube partner http://www.youtube.com/user/mulreay