Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help..cannot access hard drive...may have enabled microsoft BitLocker???  (Read 9404 times)

[email protected]

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    My 13 yr old daughter was on the laptop, we have a Dell Vostro 1500, when she said she needed help. 
    Now the screen says "Dell MediaDirect Express cannot access your hard drive.  This may be because you have enabled Microsoft BitLocker (Drive Encryption).  MediaDirect Express is not accessible when Microsoft BitLocker is enabled."
      I have no idea what she did.  She says she didn't do anything.  There is an exit button, and when you push it the computer turns off.  When you turn it back on it looks like its working, but then it goes to the same screen with the above message.   It never makes it to my homescreen.
      I have windows XP.  I use verizon as my internet provider.  If you could help please let me know.
    « Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 10:21:05 PM by [email protected] »

bacon buttie

Rookie
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Help..cannot access hard drive...may have enabled microsoft BitLocker???
    « Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 10:48:38 PM »
    Seems to be a comon problem with media direct,
    hold the "home" (media direct) button while pressing Power on button,this should force it to boot to XP.
    As for a permanent fix for the problem try a google search.
    You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me

I would list all my equipment, but I fear I will be burgled.

It said "To begin, please boot your computer". I now have a broken toe !!!!!.

[email protected]

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 11:14:18 PM »
      I tried that...  It beeped loudly and then went to same screen. I turned it off.   I tried it again, it beeped loudly but now there is a blue screen, it says:  a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.  There is more info. about disk space and drivers, and checking with hardware vendor.
        Technical information stop: 0x0000008e
                                              Nv4_mini.sys-Address f6cb8aeb..
        The end says:  beginning dump of physical memory
                                 Physical memory dump complete
                                 Contact your system administrator or tech support group for further assistance.

I did not type everything as it is very long.  But I can not turn the computer off now.

??????

bacon buttie

Rookie
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 11:32:19 PM »
      oh dear !!, remove the battery and un plug the mains power, this will cause the pc to shut down.
      do you have the dell re-instalation disk's that came with the pc?
      If you do then you need to do a "factory restore"
      This will restore the pc back to the condition it was in when new, unfortunatly when you do this you will loose all your personal files / photos / music / movies etc and any programes that you have installed.
      Look in your owners manual for a more detailed description of how to do it. If you don't have your manual go to the Dell web site where you can download it.
      This is the only other option I have been able to find to cure the problem.

**READ YOUR MANUAL BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT THE RESTORE**

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 11:56:29 PM »
      email address as screen name = much spam coming your way.

[email protected]

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 12:01:25 AM »
        I don't know how to fix it. 
        Any chance you read my problem?  Do you know what happened?  This is not my computer.  Is there a different way to fix it then what above person said?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 12:06:59 AM »
        I don't know how to fix it. 
        Any chance you read my problem?  Do you know what happened?  This is not my computer.  Is there a different way to fix it then what above person said?

In general, a complete re-install of Windows is the solution. Are you quite sure you have told us the whole story?

[email protected]

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 12:18:10 AM »
          I really can not think of anything else.  My daughter was using the computer all day for school.  We started an online school.  She was studying in her room when she asked for help.  When I came in the screen with the first message was up.  There was a little box with the word exit in the corner.  When pushed the computer shuts down.  Once there was another screen, black with a guy running, but it flipped so fast I could not see it.  My daughter said she had seen that screen before.  She insists she didn't hit anything.  As for the new directions,..the computer was off, I hit the on button and the button that says home.  It beeped loudly.  But it did the same thing .  When I tried it the second time I hit the same two buttons only hit home a couple times instead of holding it down.  That is all I can think of.  Did I totally wreck the computer?  As I said it is not mine, I am borrowing it for my daughters classes.

bacon buttie

Rookie
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 12:37:21 AM »
          Don't panic, computer is not wrecked ;D

Go tothis link  http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=DSN_181316&isLegacy=true

Scroll down to step 3 and follow the instructions

Also as Salmon Trout said change your screen name tosomthing else other than your email address, you are leaving yourself wide open to SPAM

[email protected]

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 12:49:22 AM »
            Oh boy....I think I am going to wait till morning.  I am going to ask the owner, my mom, if I can keep going.  She is going to be soooooo mad.  I can hear her already.  I will let you know when I try that link, and how it went.

[email protected]

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 08:39:24 AM »
              Thanks, that site worked!   :)