Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Online videos play choppy. It's getting worse, and I don't know how to fix it.  (Read 45522 times)

Starbreeze

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    OK.  I removed the extra anti-virus'.  I just downloaded them to make sure that my computer was clean.  Yes.  It is only at 100% when watching videos.  I believe the graphics card is called VIA/S3G unichrome IGP.  I wasn't completely sure if that is what you're talking about or not.  Yes.  I have disabled every add-on for firefox.  Yes, I got the updates on the official site. 
    ~*sulum somnium est viaticus absentis *~

Raptor

Did you examine the programs  I mentioned?

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
      • Programming Blog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    VIA/S3G unichrome IGP

That is your problem. You will need a better graphics card. That card only supports up to DirectX 7. Can you post make and model of your system so we can figure out if you can upgrade your graphics?
    YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

Raptor

That is your problem. You will need a better graphics card. That card only supports up to DirectX 7. Can you post make and model of your system so we can figure out if you can upgrade your graphics?

Isn't flash mostly a CPU thing? And if it worked fine before, why would it stop working now? Videocard doesn't suddenly degrade.
    I also don't think Flash is in any way influenced by DirectX. If it was, it wouldn't work on Linux ...

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
      • Programming Blog
    I know. Just trying to get the point across that that graphics card is ancient.

Isn't flash mostly a CPU thing? And if it worked fine before, why would it stop working now? Videocard doesn't suddenly degrade.

No the newer versions of flash use hardware acceleration. No it doesn't suddenly degrade. It could have gotten worse because of all the antivirus programs using up the CPU.
    YouTube

Raptor

I guess the question should then be "have you recently upgraded to a new version of Flash?"

Starbreeze

Topic Starter

Rookie

I have the latest version of flash

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      Try uninstalling spybot from your system.

Starbreeze

Topic Starter

Rookie

spybot is uninstalled.  Today, the problem has been the worst.  A 1:00 minute video on youtube in 240 quality will barely load, and when it does, it is so choppy that I have to stop it.  It seems to be getting worse by the day.

Raptor

spybot is uninstalled.  Today, the problem has been the worst.  A 1:00 minute video on youtube in 240 quality will barely load, and when it does, it is so choppy that I have to stop it.  It seems to be getting worse by the day.

You also seem to ignore that list of programs that I mentioned earlier.. Thrice.

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
          • Programming Blog
        How much CPU is being used while doing nothing? If it's pretty much between 0% and 5%, that's good.

Could you please list the specs of your comp? Right now I am about 90% sure your graphics card is not sufficient and that's the problem.

@Raptor: I looked up that graphics card and found that it was DX7. The reason I said that is because any card that only supports DX7 and a max res of 1440x900 is really old. I mean "Quake" old, before youtube was even invented!
        YouTube

Raptor

What kind of CPU is installed, any way? If it's as old as the videochip, I suppose you're onto something.

Starbreeze

Topic Starter

Rookie

You also seem to ignore that list of programs that I mentioned earlier.. Thrice.

I'm sorry.  I did check out the programs that you listed, and they all seem legit. 

Something that I should have pointed out that it probably really obvious now is that I have limited computer knowledge, so sometimes I don't fully understand what you guys are asking me to do.  For example, I would like to know what you mean by listed my "computer specs" what information do you need to know?

When doing nothing, CPU is usually between 0% and 5%

I bought my computer in 2005, and the only hardware that I've upgraded was a CD Drive (because mine went out) and I upped the RAM from the 197mb that it came with, and installed 2 500mb ones.  I was told that was the most my (piece of junk) computer could hold.

Another thing that I would like to say is Thank You to everyone who has been helping me.  Nearly 100% when I ask a question to anyone about anything I receive no reply, so it really means a lot when someone has repeatedly come back to help me, so thank you.  :)

Raptor

I'm sorry.  I did check out the programs that you listed, and they all seem legit. 

O.K, I have my doubts but if you think they should be there, they should be there.

I would like to know what you mean by listed my "computer specs" what information do you need to know?

The total amount of RAM, the type and speed of CPU, the total wattage of the power supply installed and any other parts you might be able to identify.

You can use http://www.gtopala.com/ to help you with that.

It sounds to me that Linux711 was onto something. Your computer might be a little too old to handle the latest versions of Flash properly.
          Have you right scaling down the quality of the flash videos? You can do so if you right click on 'm.

Another problem with older computers is that their capacitors might start to give in, resulting in performance penalties across the board. Could you check your mainboard for any drooping silver containers? Do a google search on leaking capacitors if you need a reference.

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
            • Programming Blog
          The total amount of RAM, the type and speed of CPU, the total wattage of the power supply installed and any other parts you might be able to identify.

If you are not able to identify this, you can just give the company and model of your comp (if it is not custom built).
          YouTube