Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: NVIDIA Geforce GT 220?  (Read 24721 times)

-Dragon-

NVIDIA Geforce GT 220?
« on: January 07, 2012, 09:41:46 AM »
Hey :)

I am not entirely sure if this is the right form but anyway, I'm looking for a Compatible Graphics Card for my pc, an Inspiron 530 which I have had for 4 or 3 years.

I have seen a Nvidia Geforce GT 220, and wondered if that was compatible because I need a graphics card that can play Sims 3 and all its EP's and SP's as well as the Harry Potter games and that card is in both their system requirments.  The card would must be used for gaming.

So basically, my questions are;

Is Inspiron 530 compatible with Nvidia Geforce GT 220?

Are there better graphics cards that are compatible with my Inspiron 530 and Sims 3 and The Harry Potter games?

And if I were to get it, would I need someone to fit it for me?

Thank you.

Just an additional question, is there any chance you can change your level of experience and what type of operating system you have, as I accidently didn't notice that at the start and I pressed ok?

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
    • Programming Blog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: NVIDIA Geforce GT 220?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 05:09:15 PM »
According to the site, it looks like you have a 300W power supply which is not very good for a fast graphics card. You should be able to get one that will support the games you want, but most likely no more than that.

A GeForce GT 240 should be good. It may be possible to get a GT 430, but you should check the amperage on your 12V rail to be sure. To do this, open up your comp and look at the power supply. There should be a sticker on it. Look for +12V it should then say how many amps (A) next to it. If you want the 430, it has to be bigger than 22A.
YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 06:26:37 PM »
You should contact Dell and ask them what videocards are compatible with your computer ...

I don't think you should be putting anything that generates as much heat as a gaming videocard in a computer case that small, though.
I also seriously doubt that your PSU will be able to handle the strain put on it by any modern videocard.

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
    • Programming Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 06:42:17 PM »
You should contact Dell and ask them what videocards are compatible with your computer

Not necessary if you know your amperage.
YouTube

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
    • Programming Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 06:47:02 PM »
Plus the people at dell most likely won't know of the fastest card that will work. They'll probably give you a few options from a list they have and who knows how old it is.

FYI: This would not be the case for CPUs though.
YouTube

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 06:50:08 AM »
Plus the people at dell most likely won't know of the fastest card that will work. They'll probably give you a few options from a list they have and who knows how old it is.

FYI: This would not be the case for CPUs though.

You don't even know what Dell will recommend, how can you already pass judgement? And there's no harm in asking now is there?
Once he has a list of videocards to work from, he can then see if there's room for adjustment.

Anyhow, the card in question has a minimum requirement of 300 Watt PSU which means your PSU is inadequate.
I also think the air-flow in that case is horrible. You should fix that first.

-Dragon-

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 02:23:31 PM »
Hi again,

sorry for being noob-ish but how exactly do I open my PC up?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 07:23:23 PM »
Hi again,

sorry for being noob-ish but how exactly do I open my PC up?

Never apologise for being newbish...it's just things you haven't learned yet...
We all started somewhere...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

-Dragon-

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 12:27:34 PM »
Okay, I opened up my computer and this is what I found;

160w MAX

+12v/ 18a
+5/17a
+3.3a/22a

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
    • Programming Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 09:47:53 PM »
+12v/ 18a
+5/17a
+3.3a/22a

Looks good for the GeForce GT 240 that's what I am running and I have the exact same on my Power Supply, so it should work well.

160w MAX

That part doesn't make sense and doesn't go along with what you listed above. It also doesn't go with what the site says (300W MAX).
YouTube

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 07:30:15 AM »
It's possible someone had worked on this PC before and swapped in a cheaper smaller PSU and kept the 300W...seen it before.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 07:50:13 AM »
If this guy wants to install a new videocard he has to play it safe and do two things: install a non-crap PSU of a minimum of 400W and provide a better airflow through the use of a PCI-exhaust fan (Because judging from the design, there's no rear fan capability) because as it stands, this computer is NOT suitable for gaming.

-Dragon-

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 11:31:39 AM »
Guy?

So any specific type of PSU? Or do I just buy any one?

Raptor

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 12:19:23 PM »
Guy?

So any specific type of PSU? Or do I just buy any one?

Shouldn't it have been drakaina, then?

Well, I'd recommend Cooler Master or Zalman. Some types come with a 5 year warranty. And a minimum of 400W.
PSU's that come with a 120MM fan (A big one on the bottom of the PSU) also help cool your computer. I know Cooler Master sells at least one type with an 80mm fan (The small one in the back of the PSU)

However; you own a Dell computer. You may not have a choice but to go Dell if you don't want to modify the case. They tend to make it very difficult to mount a non-Dell PSU. You might have to cut out or bend some metal pieces here and there. I'm not sure if they still do this as I actually haven't seen any recently developed Dell desktops.

I am not entirely sure what form factor your current PSU is but judging from a few image searches, it looks like ATX. Which is the standard you'd buy in stores. Anything I can identify your PSU by? A name and type?