Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Downloading Ubuntu Linux Failiure  (Read 12357 times)

JJ 3000

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Downloading Ubuntu Linux Failiure
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 05:21:22 PM »
Try the text-based installer.
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Knowlege will take you further than any guide
    • Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 12:36:08 PM »
I believe i had tried the text-based installer at one point, however, where are the other sources for that file?
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

JJ 3000

Egghead
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.

JJ 3000

Egghead
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 09:20:37 PM »
On the copy of Ubuntu Linux i got, it does not provide a "Graphic Safe Mode" it is version 11.10, newest version from the download website.

I'm sorry for giving you the wrong info. I've had next to no experience with Ubuntu 11. The safe graphics mode was an option on previous versions, so I assumed it would be available on 11.  :-[  I just booted an 11.10 live CD and the option wasn't there.

What you want to do at the boot options screen is press F6 for other options. Choose nomodeset. See here:

When you finish the Ubuntu installation you will be asked to reboot. If you get the black screen again after booting into your new installation, do this:

Reboot the computer and hold down the Shift key as the computer is starting to bring up the GRUB menu. The top line of the menu should be your new install. With that line highlighted press e to edit the entry. Use the arrow keys to move down to the next to last line. Change the text after quiet splash to nomodeset as I've done in the screenshot here:

then press CTRL-X to boot into Ubuntu

If you had to do that second step, you will want to set this as a permanent boot option to avoid having to change it at every reboot. To do that:

Open terminal. Type gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub and press enter. This will open a text editor and you should see this on the screen:

Move down to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

Change "quiet splash" to "quiet splash nomodeset".

Click File > Save, then exit the text editor.

Back in terminal type sudo update-grub and press enter.

That should do it. Good luck.

I tried Lubuntu on some of the older machines, it works on one, and another laptop has a faulty CD Drive.

If that laptop's BIOS supports booting to USB, you can install from a flash drive. You can use a program like Unetbootin to put the ISO on a flash drive. See here:

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Since you've already got the Lubuntu ISO, you will want to follow the instructions here:

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/#other
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.

Raptor

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 03:38:28 AM »
Choose nomodeset. See here:

That was in the link I gave him ...

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 05:54:45 PM »
I have tried booting to nomodeset several times now, ant it still leaves me to the same result. This is now starting to confuse me beyond confusion on why in the world of computers it will not work at all. It is not an old system at all, The only thing old about it is the monitor i am using. Howeverm the monitor still should work fine, and i have tested with other monitors.

I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

JJ 3000

Egghead
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 09:12:34 PM »
That was in the link I gave him ...

Ah, so it was! I should have clicked that before replying...

I believe i had tried the text-based installer at one point, however, where are the other sources for that file?

No luck with that?
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 10:41:13 PM »
I have had no luck with anything thus far. I have erased the disk to make sure i have capacity even though it probably did not cause a problem in the first place.

Everything i have tried has led to the black screen with the blinking underscore.

Raptor

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 04:56:54 AM »
Have you tried booting from a USB stick? Or alternatively, from a CD .. Maybe the copying process was corrupted.

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2012, 08:09:31 AM »
Will try this afternoon. thanks.