Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7 freezes at Starting Windows screen  (Read 14876 times)

sjn2009

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Windows 7 freezes at Starting Windows screen
    « on: January 20, 2012, 10:31:32 PM »
    Hello all. This is a friends computer that he has asked me to take a look at. He purchased it at Walmart 13 months ago, and is no longer covered under warranty as I understand it. The problem started a few days after installing Pro Tools. When you started the computer it went through the emachines logo screen, to the windows is starting screen, and right after the first red dot appeared it would freeze. After waiting hours to see if it would move we decided to reformat the drive. That didn't solve anything and was a bad idea in retrospect. So I put the hard drive into my computer and re installed windows 7 using my disc. However, this has not solved the problem and it still occurs in the emachine. I've also tried refitting all the cables and air-dusted around the heatsink and mobo.
    If you try to enter in safe mode, use a windows disc, or run Ubuntu off usb it all freezes eventually. So I'm wondering if it's a power issue or perhaps the CPU.

Computer Specs:
    eMachines model #EL1850G-42W
    Processor: Intel Celeron E3400 2.60GHz
    Memory: 2GB DDR3 SDRAM
    Hard Drive: 320GB 7200rpm SATA
    OP Drive: DVD SuperMulti drive
    Graphics: Integrated Intel GMA X4500HD
    Power Supply: 220W

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows 7 freezes at Starting Windows screen
    « Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 01:12:35 AM »
    Yes. formatting the hard drive was a bad idea. The version of Windows 7 on that machine was for just that machine.
    ... try to enter in safe mode, use a windows disc, or run Ubuntu off usb it all freezes eventually. So I'm wondering if it's a power issue or perhaps the CPU.
    Please elaborate. Ubuntu can run from the CD or can be installed on the hard drive. Which did you do?
    No, not likely the CPU or Power supply. It is the hard drive. A bad power supply would not even let you run Ubuntu. And a bad heat sink on the CPU would not let you get twenty minutes of use. A bad hard drive can lock the system at anytime. Most often in a few minutes. But to be sure, run some test on the drive in another machine. As a slave drive.

Western Digital and Se agate both have drive diagnostics on  their respective sites.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/

sjn2009

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 01:32:58 AM »
      Well like I said, when I plug his hard drive, a hitachi, and replace it with mine it works just fine. I've also tried putting my WD HDD into his computer, but I ended up having the same freeze at windows starting screen. Except when my hard drive was in it, it went into a reboot loop.

Please elaborate. Ubuntu can run from the CD or can be installed on the hard drive. Which did you do?
      To clarify, I have the latest ubuntu saved on a flash drive. I used the option to run ubuntu from the usb, not install. I was under the impression though that this only uses the RAM for short term storage. What froze in this method was after chosing "Run ubuntu" it goes to a screen with lines of code that freezes after scrolling a few lines down.

Took your advise and ran a diagnostic tool. I used Drive Fitness Test that I found on Hiatchi's website, and it came back with no errors (Disposition Code 0x00). In case it helps here's more information about the hard drive:
      Device: ATA
      Model: HD5721032CLA362
      Serial: HE1DSTAT
      Cache: 14112 KB
      Capacity: 320.07 GB

Thanks
      « Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 02:29:22 AM by sjn2009 »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 06:36:35 AM »
      A badly corrupted hard drive will freeze the system. Even with software that does not even depend of the hard drive.
       Ubuntu will try to identify the drive. When the drive does not respond normally, it can make the system electrically unstable* .The drive must be replaced. Otherwise, rebuilt  by a company that does that sort of thing. The cost is prohibitive for the average user. So you just buy a new drive.

*Electrically unstable. The electronics on the drive board makes the drive do something very abnormal. It ins a malfunction. Normal software does not anticipate this.Nor should it have to.

JJ 3000

Egghead
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 06:51:01 AM »
      we decided to reformat the drive. That didn't solve anything and was a bad idea in retrospect.

Why? What happened?

So I put the hard drive into my computer and re installed windows 7 using my disc

Why did you have to swap the hard drive into your computer to install? Does his not have a CD drive?

Did you get any errors during the install?

If you've wiped the recovery partition you can order a recovery disk from Emachines. http://us-store.emachines.com/rcd/

Try this:
      Boot to the Ubuntu live USB and hold down the shift key as it's starting. This will bring up more boot options. Choose test memory. This will take a very long time to run. Report back if it finds any errors.
      Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.
      http://www.petfinder.com/

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 09:04:32 AM »
      So I'm wondering if it's a power issue or perhaps the CPU.

Computer Specs:

Power Supply: 220W

220W is definitely at the lower end of the power supply spectrum.  Could possibly be an issue.

sjn2009

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 01:34:59 PM »
        Why did you have to swap the hard drive into your computer to install? Does his not have a CD drive?

Did you get any errors during the install?
        I swapped his hard drive into mine because if you put the Windows 7 Installation disc into his pc it freezes at the exact same spot as I've described before.
        This even happened if you try any other type of booting for windows. It will always freeze, on his machine.

I did not get any errors during the installation, nor after while opening random processes trying to see if it would freeze/crash.

Try this:
        Boot to the Ubuntu live USB and hold down the shift key as it's starting. This will bring up more boot options. Choose test memory. This will take a very long time to run. Report back if it finds any errors.
        I believe i ran this test after Ubuntu failed, and I don't remember if any errors came up. So I am running it again now and I will come back with any problems.

sjn2009

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 05:23:19 PM »
          Just thought I'd post an update on the memory test. After running for 4 hours, it ran 7 tests and found no errors. I still have it running though and will continue to until I notice something.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 05:40:55 PM »
          4 Hours is plenty...if zero hours then the RAM is fine...
          You can turn it off now.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

sjn2009

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 06:16:52 PM »
            Okay thank you. So I guess the problem is indeed the hard drive then, I'll have to consult with him and see if he's ready to buy a new one. I was hoping I could give him one of my old ones that still work fine, but they're all IDE.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 08:37:53 PM »
            For your earlier post you indicate that the drive works in an other PC, but fails test. Therefore the replacement of the drive is need, even though the PSU is wimpy. A bigger power supply is not a cure for a defective drive. The drive should only take about 35 watts.  Or less. Some hard drives will suck current went the go bad. Depends on the type of failure.

sjn2009

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 11:36:26 PM »
              The hard drive didn't fail any tests though. It just won't work in his computer, but works fine in mine. I hope that's what you were referring to, otherwise please explain.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              « Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 09:25:45 AM »
              I think I misread your descriptions.
              Took your advise and ran a diagnostic tool. I used Drive Fitness Test that I found on Hiatchi's website, and it came back with no errors (Disposition Code 0x00).
              So this error was not in the alternative nPC?  If the drive is clean in the alternative PC then I was giving you wrong advice.
              If ,it is not a case of drive failure then a fair guess either Power Supply or Motherboard. You hope it is not the motherboard.
              You van try another PSU. May cost you about $35 far a standard 450 watt unit. Hard to believe it was only 220 watts. Make sure it has the cables for your motherboard. But that should not be a problem.

Amway., a spare PSU is always handy thing to have.

sjn2009

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 11:07:12 AM »
                Ah that makes a little more sense. Well is there a way I can check the motherboard in the same way I've checked the HDD and RAM? I also dread if this will turn out to be a PSU issue, because the case size is as newegg puts it, "Small Form Factor".

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                • Geek After Dark
                  • Gekk9pm bnlog
                « Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 11:33:51 AM »
                "Small Form Factor".
                What? Why didn't you say that before?   ::)
                Now I would recommend a daily dose of Prosac.