Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Vista, slow startup/shutdown, very slow out of nowhere  (Read 9675 times)

Jacobey7

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Windows Vista, slow startup/shutdown, very slow out of nowhere
    « on: January 21, 2012, 03:50:01 AM »
    okay well first off I'm running a Dell xps m1210 windows vista, its been a great laptop up until now.. i had a very bad virus that i had removed and fixed really recently, the virus was a system check worm or something that just really screwed my computer up, it was taken care of but now its been really slow after the virus was removed, i play a game online allot and it ran really good before the virus after its been really bad such as, slow loading, lag, bad fps, um the virus i had deleted my desktop and hid all of my files i had to start over and everything, i really wish i can get this fixed and I've posted a topic on www.bleepingcomputer.com but no reply i know it doesn't sound serious but i really would appreciate the help I'm willing to let someone remotely access my computer to check everything out and all, i can answer any questions i am really newer to computers, i also have a problem with my command prompt as well where it will not show up on my screen unless i maximize it I'm not so worried about that but yeah, Ive had a friend tell me that i should have a PC booster or PC cleaner, Ive tried to find one but all of them cost money, I've ran about 3-7 virus scans a day nothing is found I'm running the virus scans with malware bytes, i cannot use a disk defragment for some reason i click and it sat there for 15 hours and never finished twice now its set to auto run, i still have tons of harddrive left, and I've tried all the tips on this site, nothing is helping so if someone could please take time to help me figure this out and fix it back to the way it was i would really appreciate it like strongly thank you for taking the time to look this over and possibly help me thanks alot

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Windows Vista, slow startup/shutdown, very slow out of nowhere
    « Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 06:09:51 AM »
    i had a very bad virus that i had removed and fixed really recently

You had someone else remove it? Did you pay them? It sounds like you may have gotten ripped off...

i had to start over and everything

What does this mean? Did you reinstall windows? How did you start over and everything?

I've posted a topic on www.bleepingcomputer.com but no reply

That's probably due to your grammar. Your post here is almost impossible to read. It's one long run-on sentence. Try using more punctuation than just commas.

I'm willing to let someone remotely access my computer to check everything out and all

You shouldn't be so trusting. Don't let anyone that you don't know and trust remotely access your computer. You're asking for trouble.

Ive had a friend tell me that i should have a PC booster or PC cleaner

Windows has it's own disk cleanup program. Click start, type cleanmgr.exe into the search box and press enter to start it up.

If you really want a third party utility to do do a disk cleanup, you could try CCleaner. It's free.

Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

Jacobey7

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 07:16:28 AM »
       im sorry for my grammer. and i had someone fix my computer yes i paid 45$ to have the virus removed. and by when i said to start it all over i mean as in where it was before now its just like it wont run correctly it takes atleast 10-15 minutes to start up or shut down. i have tried to clean it with the computers defragment and it will just say running but never finish i let it sit for atleast 12 hours or more at one period of a time the "clean up" tool you said thats on the computer runs smoothly but something must be wrong with it other then that. i cannot figure it out, thank you for replying though really means alot.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 07:23:46 AM »
      It's possible the system is still infected, but let's check a few things first. Let's start with the hd:

To run checkdisk, right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type: chkdsk /r  (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 07:23:49 AM »
      I hate these stories where someone spent good money and got basically noyhing in return...
      What was the "Cleanup Tool " the shop installed ? ?

In the meantime Start Here  and follow the guide for posting your logs....start a new topic over there don't post the logs here and let's have the Experts take a looksee.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Jacobey7

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 07:27:32 AM »
        It's possible the system is still infected, but let's check a few things first. Let's start with the hd:

To run checkdisk, right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type: chkdsk /r  (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.
        allan a problem with my computer is that my command prompt wont work correctly as i click it and it will not show up i have to maximize my display settings then lower them i have no idea why, and i just recently moved to the us so i have a bit of trouble knowing what somethings mean. =[ i am sorry but will you help me a bit more with understanding what you mean?

Jacobey7

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 07:30:32 AM »

wait okay i have recently done what you are saying when i was reading the tips for begginers on this site i did that and it finished and nothing came up.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 07:34:23 AM »
          What do you mean "nothing came up"?

Jacobey7

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 07:37:02 AM »
            What do you mean "nothing came up"?
            well it was at a black screen and said it was processing the items, and which it never really finished the first or second row of them. it said ... step 1-3 complete and never went up, but it turned my laptop on after the screen went all black.

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 07:42:05 AM »
            I really don't understand. Follow the instructions in my post and try it now.

Jacobey7

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 07:44:52 AM »
              I really don't understand. Follow the instructions in my post and try it now.
              okay ill report back to you when it finishes. i am sorry for the confusion.

Jacobey7

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 09:18:43 AM »
                after the diskcheck you asked me to do here are the results i received.

310976 files processed
                891 large file recorded processed
                0 bad file records processed
                2 EA file records processed
                45 Reparse records processed

371098 index entries processed
                0 unidexed files processed

310976 security descriptors processed

30062 data files processed

35602072 USB bytes processed

310960 Verifying file data processed

16479548 Free clusters processed

and said nothing bad was found.

Allan

• Mastermind
                « Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 09:20:05 AM »
                Then let's follow patio's advice: Please follow the instructions in the following link and post your logs in the thread you create (NOT in this thread):
                http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

Jacobey7

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 09:58:02 AM »
                  okay allan i am sorry to bother yet again but im not sure i correctly understand what your asking me to do with that topic? as in go through each specified part and post a log for each? im sorry.

Allan

• Mastermind
                  « Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 10:00:05 AM »
                  Just follow the instructions. Yes, post each log. We want to do an in-depth check of your system for malware.

jacobey

Greenhorn

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 03:17:06 PM »
                    okay i am truly sorry for the late response had to go to work im back and will work on posting everything right now like you asked. Once again i am really thankful for all your time and help!

Allan

• Mastermind
                    « Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 03:18:04 PM »
                    You're welcome - that's what we're here for. Let's hope we can get you back on track.

jacobey

Greenhorn

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 03:49:05 PM »
                      i really hope so xD i have a few stupid little questions for you. well first off on this logs i have to post i downloaded the commander firewall, and its installed but its saying my defence+ is not running properly and said it was messed up during the install any idea on how to fix that? and also i am posting a few things about a couple of programs i found in my uninstall a program files i have no clue what they are or even if they should be there will you help me make sure they are okay?

patio

• Genius
                      • Maud' Dib
                        • Yes
                      « Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 03:51:09 PM »
                      There is nothing in those instructions for Commander Firewall...did you clik the wrong link ?
                      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jacobey

Greenhorn

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 03:53:03 PM »
                        i meant COMODO i am sorry that was my mistake in reading and spelling =[

JJ 3000

Egghead
                        • Experience: Familiar
                        « Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 06:48:01 PM »
                        jacobey, with all the different problems you're describing, the quickest fix would be to restore the computer back to factory settings. Dell has instructions for this here:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?&docid=DSN_336966&isLegacy=true#Issue3

This will restore the computer back to the way it was when it came out of the box. Keep in mind this will erase everything that you have saved on the computer. All of your pictures, music, etc.. will be wiped out, gone. If you have an external hard drive or a flash drive you could save some of the files that you don't want to lose before you do the restore.

You don't have to do this, but like I said, it would probably be the quickest way to get the computer back to a usable state again. If you don't want to erase everything then post your logs on the virus removal board and they will get you cleaned up.
                        Save a Life!
                        Adopt a homeless pet.
                        http://www.petfinder.com/

jacobey

Greenhorn

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 08:24:31 AM »
                          thank you jj but i have logs that i think are the problem i went to sleep last night woke up and have some logs and programs that need to be checked out. I am about to post them now thank you for the link too.