Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook 2010 Emails in inbox for previous days are missing!  (Read 69677 times)

Emaline

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Outlook 2010 Emails in inbox for previous days are missing!
    « on: January 29, 2012, 05:10:47 AM »
    I have tried everything I can find to solve my problem with no luck!
    Windows 7
    Outlook 2010

I have two accounts in Outlook, one is mine and one is my husbands. Server is local internet provider through our telephone company company. I have a business and get a lot of emails daily.....many are left in my inbox so I can go back to them at another time. Here is where the problem lies! I can see emails in the morning and when I go back to these later in the day...they are missing. Usually Outlook shows today's emails, the yesterday, then next day, etc. and stay there until deleted. Well, not any more!

A Dell technician has gone through every Outlook setting and cannot find the problem. The strange thing is that my husbands account is working perfectly. This is a huge problem for me, since many of these lost emails are from customers who are waiting for a reply.

I have gone to my webmail, and the missing emails are not showing there either. I hope there is someone here to can help.

Thanks You!

Salmon Trout

Re: Outlook 2010 Emails in inbox for previous days are missing!
    « Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 05:24:51 AM »
    I know this article is for Outlook 2007 but it still applies. Are there any issues mentioned that apply to you?

http://www.techrepublic.com/forum/questions/101-233119/outlook-2007-e-mails-in-inbox-disappearing

Emaline

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 06:45:33 AM »
      I do have two computers using same email address.....

Open outlook
      *Click on Tools and then click on ?Account Settings?
      *Click on your email account and then click on ?Change? (towards the top)
      *Click on ?More Settings?
      *Click on the ?Advanced? tab
      *At the bottom, you want to make sure that the option to save the emails on the server is selected (this needs to be done on all systems/devices you use to access this email account).

I am having a hard time finding this in 2010.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 09:00:53 AM »
        http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/where-does-microsoft-outlook-2010-save-my-information-and-configurations-HP010354943.aspx
        http://www.brucebnews.com/2011/04/enable-outlook-2010-search-and-indexing-on-windows-7/
        http://www.ehow.com/outlook-pst-file/
        The above are 3 links that to one degree or another deal with your issue.Please read them to see if there is something that relates to what you need to do to ensure access to your e-mails. It seems like what windows7/outlook 2010 do with .PST files is at the basis of the issue.While i do use win7 i do NOT use outlook so perhaps someone that uses both may come along and present the solution in a more simple manner than these articles do.truenorth

Emaline

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 09:50:06 AM »
          Thanks for your help and the info, but my problem isn't solved. Hopefully someone who uses Outlook 2010 will offer more help.

Thanks,
          Kaye

Emaline

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 05:21:15 PM »
            Nothing seems to work! I just don't understand why my account has been affected and my husband's has not.
            Maybe the problem could be with the server...do you have an opinion?

Thanks,
            Kaye

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 05:29:44 PM »
              If i am not mistaken from the research i did for you prior to posting my 3 links there was a variety of things that could cause this problem in the combination of win 7 and outlook 2010. It seems to be related primarily to what happens to PST files which i gather is what Outlook creates. By the way it is my impression from pretty well all the articles i saw that in fact you really have not lost the e-mails. It is only a matter of finding out where they are and how to access them. Have you tried to create another different Outlook account? I know that it could entail some issues that you might not want to have to deal with but what about simply using a different e-mail client. If i find/think of anything else  i'll post again but for the moment my well has gone dry.truenorth

Emaline

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 05:48:13 PM »
                Creating another email address would be my last resort because of my business. I have this on too many things!

Thanks so much for your efforts. I really do apppreciate it!

Kaye

Salmon Trout

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 11:53:41 PM »
                Creating another email address would be my last resort

That's not what he said. He suggested using a different email client (program).

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 02:24:15 PM »
                  Emaline , Your Outlook /win 7 has been bothering me in that there ought to be a simple answer to "where are my e-mails going". So i changed my search parameter to along that line and i found this site which seems to define the precise answer . So have a look at it and see if you are able to find them. If anything in the instructions are not clear to you come back with the source of the confusion and we will see if we can help.
                  http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner-user/where-are-outlook-files/
                  truenorth This was the exact search i used which generated the link plus many others "where do e-mails get stored in outlook 2010".Go down a bit to see the answer as it pertains to Win 7.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
                    • Me
                  • Experience: Expert
                  « Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 03:44:23 AM »
                  I've had several users reporting similar problems.  In every case, the user has inadvertently hidden the display of emails by some criteria or other.  If your Inbox looks anything like this, all you need to do is click the white "arrows" to expand the sections.  Alternatively, you can right-click on one of the headings (like "Date: Last Week", below) and choose "Expand all groups":

Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos