Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Beeps, freezes and auto restarts on ACER computer  (Read 10507 times)

dreguy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Beeps, freezes and auto restarts on ACER computer
    « on: March 07, 2011, 07:18:34 AM »
    Hi, i bought an Acer desktop:
    ASPIRE M5800
    Windows 7 64 bit SP 1
    Intel Core 2 Quad processor Q9400 @ 2.66GHz 2.67GHz
    3GB DDR3 RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT220 1024MB
    750GB

Anti-Virus: Microsoft Security Essentials

I bought the PC bout a year ago and it didn't have much issues then. 6 months in, it started to have infrequent freezes, crashes (blue screen with lots of white text).
    I also began to experience network errors and soon was not about to connect to the internet by wifi.
    I didn't have much time to get it settled so i only recently brought it to a local IT Retailer to get it looked at as my warranty at ACER had expired.

I paid to have it serviced and reformatted, and the network issue was fixed. Apparently it was a software issue, and no other faults was found with it.
    6 days later, i started experiencing the same errors again. Its been 10 days now and everything is coming back. The only thing that still works is the wifi. All the errors are still the same and I want to know what might be happening so i can request specifically for the Technician to look at it.

Here is the list of errors i had experienced.

1. Computer Freezes. Mouse and Keyboard can't move. Only way was to hold the power button for the comp to force shutdown. During the freezes, the audio that i hear coming through my speakers (when i turn up the volume) is like an annoying loopover of a broken record.

2. Computer functions as per normal, but suddenly blacks out, restarts for no apparent reason. Nothing happens and i just go back to what i was doing.

3. Computer shows me the blue screen of death with alot of white text. Sometimes i have to force shutdown, sometimes it auto restarts.

4. After errors 1 or 3, or sometimes without them preceding, upon hitting the power button after forcing shutdown,

(a) Display does not come on, ("No Display Detected"), CPU starts running (Fan goes on), a long continuous beep is heard. I force shutdown by holding the power button.
    (b) Display does not come on, ("No Display Detected"), CPU starts running (Fan goes on), short continuous beeping (like in staccato, rhythmically). Likewise, force shutdown by holding power button.

After these errors occur, usually upon the next startup, i would be asked to start the comp in either SAFE MODE (with its 3 options) or Normal. i always hit normal.
    After numerous tries, they would provide the option for STARTUP-REPAIR and i would go with that (cos it was recommended). works fine for a while before its next inevitable failure.

I would appreciate any info on what might be going on with my PC.
    It has been really annoying trying to use the computer knowing that it could collapse anytime. Whats more annoying was that i paid for servicing that did not solve the problems.

Thank you.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Beeps, freezes and auto restarts on ACER computer
    « Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 07:26:52 AM »
    Download BlueScreenView:
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
    unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
    when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
    Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
    Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

dreguy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 07:49:13 AM »
      ==================================================
      Dump File         : 030511-20451-01.dmp
      Crash Time        : 5/3/2011 11:54:35 PM
      Bug Check String  : IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
      Bug Check Code    : 0x0000000a
      Parameter 1       : ffffffff`ffffffff
      Parameter 2       : 00000000`00000000
      Parameter 3       : 00000000`00000001
      Parameter 4       : fffff800`0309f7ef
      Caused By Driver  : nvlddmkm.sys
      Caused By Address : nvlddmkm.sys+a3472
      File Description  :
      Product Name      :
      Company           :
      File Version      :
      Processor         : x64
      Computer Name     :
      Full Path         : C:\Windows\Minidump\030511-20451-01.dmp
      Processors Count  : 4
      Major Version     : 15
      Minor Version     : 7601
      Dump File Size    : 262,144

Dump File         : 022711-18704-01.dmp
      Crash Time        : 27/2/2011 8:20:39 PM
      Bug Check String  : KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
      Bug Check Code    : 0x0000001e
      Parameter 1       : ffffffff`c000001d
      Parameter 2       : fffff800`030f1ae8
      Parameter 3       : 00000000`00000000
      Parameter 4       : 00000000`00000100
      Caused By Driver  : hal.dll
      Caused By Address : hal.dll+7b7f
      File Description  :
      Product Name      :
      Company           :
      File Version      :
      Processor         : x64
      Computer Name     :
      Full Path         : C:\Windows\Minidump\022711-18704-01.dmp
      Processors Count  : 4
      Major Version     : 15
      Minor Version     : 7600
      Dump File Size    : 285,304

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 08:27:40 AM »
      1) Just to clean up whatever problems may have been caused by all of the anomalous shutdowns, please do the following: Right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type:chkdsk /r  (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

2) Then go to the Nvidia website and download and install the latest driver for your video card.

3) Go to the Acer website and see if you have the latest chipset driver and bios version for your system. If not, update them.

If the problems persist we may be looking at a bad video card or something else.

dreguy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 07:50:01 PM »
        Thanks for the assistance so far, Allan, i'm trying it out and if anything happens i'll update.

how can i check my current bios version? because the site advises not to update an incorrect version of bios or it will harm the computer.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        « Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 09:14:48 PM »
        You can skip first the BIOS update and do the other suggestion stated by Allan. If it comes to a point where it is still not resolved and newer version of BIOS flash is available then it would be a resort to follow.
        how can i check my current bios version?
        Download SIW-> http://download.cnet.com/SIW/3000-2094_4-10326678.hml
        Install and Run. Once running, goto Hardware/BIOS and the information will be given. Go to the website and compare only from current to the links latest but do not yet do any updates.

the site advises not to update an incorrect version of bios or it will harm the computer.
        That is 100% true if you used or flash from a different type of machine or software.

Here is a CH link for a General info. on the problem --> http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=20371.0
        *Do not use or clean the registry.

dreguy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 08:56:14 AM »
          i did the graphic card driver update but not the bios one. still not fixed.

i just got a brand new error. after repeated forced shutdowns cos the screen just blanked on me (no display)... i got this message "BOOTMGR IMAGE IS CORRUPT. SYSTEM IS UNABLE TO BOOT"
          this happened even before the windows7 loading screen is showed.
          first time ever. anyways i forced shutdown and it successfully booted once again. sigh.

dreguy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 06:17:14 PM »
            and new details emerge yet.

"File checksum is corrupt. Checksum does not compute with... something.."

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 09:07:27 PM »
            Replace your CMOS battery...part # CR 2032...available anywhere.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
            « Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 10:06:56 PM »
            I also began to experience network errors and soon was not about to connect to the internet by wifi
            Did ACER desktop came with a wi-fi card? Is the original OS a Win Vista(home,premium,ultimate,starter?) upgraded to Win 7? Do you happen to replace/added any hardware or software(Firewall/Antivirus/Scanner)?
            When installing drivers from acer support, do not use the driver detection manager/utility but manually pick and install it to your PC. If there are installed 3rd party or indirect support sites drivers, uninstall them also.

joking

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 03:29:00 PM »
              My daughter has one of those.  She finally had to take the case off, put a floor fan on it under her desk before getting the thing to operate.  Something about where they put the video card in relation to the power supply.  Poorly designed case me thinks.

hollowfication

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 08:42:37 PM »
                acer aspire z5610  i have

got the same problem it my computer is on for maybe hour or so then i hear the beep then stop then beep comes back looping sound continues then computer freezes then automatically shutdown restart it self i took it back to acer giving them say problem they did the test but they said they quote it fine but still having it

i told then if they cant fix it i want a new one

fister

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 05:23:25 PM »
                   To all those people with Acer Aspire M5800 or perhaps any Acer Aspire Multimedia units i also experienced all those problems listed above
                  My errors stemmed from the Fact that the Morons at acer Install the Tv Tuner So close to the graphics card Fan (like touching pratically) that over time the dust will build up causing
                  the fan to run at a much slower rate and causing shutdowns and various other errors as its overheating the graphics card.

What solved this for me was removing the TV tuner completely and cleaning the built up dust from the graphics card fan after that i didnt experience the problems anymore.

Also if your going to buy a new computer i recommend avoiding Acer like the plague