Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Just an endless list of problems.  (Read 2575 times)

Vtol

Topic Starter

Starter

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Just an endless list of problems.
« on: February 04, 2012, 08:36:45 PM »
I've been having problems for quite a while now. Initially, I had a problem with some malware (specifically a redirection bug). I swam through an ocean of feces to try and fix it, to no avail. I eventually ended up editing my hosts files and messing them up. (No access to the internet because of it), so I had to use a previous restore point (I used one from the previous day. It was created while I was removing some software.) I had a small amount of trouble with that (I honestly can't remember what the exact problem was, but I had to attempt the restore twice for it to work. When I finally restored it, I tried installing some of your suggested software to combat spy ware, malware, ect. I couldn't install anything. I figured my computer was just being uncooperative, so I took ownership of my entire C:\* drive in an attempt to gain control of it again. Didn't work. I threw up my hands, and tried to install ubuntu. I won't go into details, but I wasn't able to get it functioning at all. I received a mouse from Microsoft about 2 days ago (something unrelated), and when I tried to install the intellipoint software, I wasn't able to. Long story short, I'm unable to install ANYTHING on my computer, and I want to rip my hair out in frustration. Hopefully you can help me out, though.

[year+ old attachment deleted by admin]

garybear

Re: Just an endless list of problems.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 09:22:17 PM »
Hi!! Wow! That's quite a story. I'm not a expert on this forum but I'm sure one will asset you shortly. It's the week end so be patient.
From reading your topic, I'm hoping you have a W7 recover disk or can get to the W7 recover feature and restore to out of the box.
That would be my suggestion. Start over. I know that's a lot of work but if you didn't do like W7 asked you to do and make a back up image of your OS , you don't have a lot of chose left. I just can't understand when people don't have a way to restore their OS. I's so easy and would have saved you a lot of aggravation. I'm sure you will get more suggestions. Just be patient!

garybear

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 09:36:09 PM »
Hi!! You could try this while your waiting on a Computer Hope expert. From your post, I don't see how this could make things any worse than you are now ;)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852
Sorry wrong OS!! try this one!

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Using-Last-Known-Good-Configuration

Vtol

Topic Starter

Starter

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 09:39:55 PM »
My copy of Windows 7 was installed via an OEM disk. I also didn't install it personally; my friend did. It'll be resolved by tomorrow, so it's not incredibly important, but I'm just wondering what happened and why it did. It seems very out of the ordinary, so I'm quite curious.

garybear

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 09:52:05 PM »
My copy of Windows 7 was installed via an OEM disk. I also didn't install it personally; my friend did. It'll be resolved by tomorrow, so it's not incredibly important, but I'm just wondering what happened and why it did. It seems very out of the ordinary, so I'm quite curious.
It seems to me that you tried so many things and just went from bad to worse. I doubt if even an expert can solve your curiosity. I would personally just be happy to get My PC back up and running again. Then get a external drive and make regular back ups. Then you won't have this problem again. ;)