Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sudden freeze-up with Win2K  (Read 4520 times)

JRoss

Sudden freeze-up with Win2K
« on: September 11, 2005, 07:36:49 AM »
After 2 Trojans invaded and destroyed my last PC, we rebuilt from the bottom up.  I have:

Machspeed PM2MP mobo
Intel Celeron D335 2.8 GB processor
Samsung 80 G hdd with a Maxtor 40 G backup
1 GB RAM via 2 chips (one is Rosewill, one is PQI Power).

Friday night the system was running smoothly.  Saturday morning it wouldn't even jog!

The 'reset' button gets me to the sysinfo page and freezes.  Turning it off gets me to various stages of "Starting Windows", depending on how long it's off.  It hasn't gotten beyond the "Windows 2000 Pro is starting".  I F8-ed for a Safe Mode or Last known Good Config, but the arrows won't move.  ???

I've had previous problems with RAM (one of the new sticks was bad), so I pulled  them and switched slots; pulled one out entirely; tried a start-up with a stick in in the near slot, then in the far slot...

I run Ad-Aware daily and have Trend Security for virus.  I down load nothing but up-dates for anti-virus, and security settings are all on med. high.

Any ideas?

GX1_Man

Re: Sudden freeze-up with Win2K
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 10:28:57 PM »
I would recommend a Linux live CD to see if it is hardware, or Windows related. Slow will be relative as it would be running the operating system from the O/S, but it would work (or not).

Mark

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 06:39:41 AM »
What have you done to make this situation occur?

What are your system temperatures?

How come your RAM stick is damaged? How did you verify this?

How did you handle the computer parts when installing them?

JRoss

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 04:43:14 AM »
Oh, right; it's all my fault ! ::)

Actually, I did nothing to the system, other than turn it on.  I'm not a gamer; don't do photo-shop, etc.  

The RAM was bad and the mfg. replaced it.  I took the kit'ncaboodle to a pro when I couldn't get it to even load an OS.

It's all moot, though, since I spoke to Cust.Svc and they're replacing the CPU.  Even with their suggested CPU fan, an intake fan and an exhaust fan two inches from the CPU, the temp. hit 206.  First thing I checked was fan operation, and all are fine.

The system was brand-new, bought the parts in July!

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 06:43:09 AM »
Oh, right; it's all my fault ! Roll Eyes

Actually, I did nothing to the system, other than turn it on.  I'm not a gamer; don't do photo-shop, etc.  

So you are not the one operating the PC, then?

Please put me through to the person who was using the PC at the time of the incident.

JRoss

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 04:04:46 AM »
Geez, Raptor, where's a sense of humor?

It is my computer, but as I mentioned I didn't 'do' anything to it.  Last Friday night it was fine; by Saturday it was on the fritz.  I am not a 'gamer', so there was no over-clocking.  I haven't time to do more than check e-mail and do a bit of research now and then.  I'm on maybe 2 hours a day, spread out from AM to PM.

The mobo mfg. feels that the cpu cooling fan was inadequate, even though the retailer recommended it.  I have ordered an Intel fan, so we'll see what happens.

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 07:17:19 AM »
Geez, Raptor, where's a sense of humor?

I'll laugh when I'm done killing.

Don't tell me you didn't note the sarcasm.

mfg

What does that stand for? It doesnt'stand for Manufacturer so it must stand for.. Oh, you're naughty.

The mobo mfg. feels that the cpu cooling fan was inadequate, even though the retailer recommended it.  I have ordered an Intel fan, so we'll see what happens

Have a look at Cooler Master. I wouldn't bother with standard coolers or standard thermal paste.