Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Tribute to the second most important tool I used to build a computer  (Read 16775 times)

Vigaenson

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
L & G :)
When in 2009 I sent my first message to Computer Hope Forum it was about 18 months since I had assembled my first computer.
That post and the following were not sent to this subforum.
Some months ago I checked out the SBCC section box at at my Forum Profile but I didn' t post at his subforum either.
Today, that I'm thinking about how to rebuild my first assembled computer and how to build an extra computer I have decided to pay a tribute to the second most important tool I used during that task describing it.

I have decided to do it briefly because I had already described it in detail in an attachment to the second and seventh message I posted in this forum but they were deleted by admin to save bandwidth and disk space.

I am assuming that we all agree that for this task, the most important tool we use is our mind but (at least in my case) the second most important tool I've used is a computer whose summarized Hardinforeport looks like this:

-
Computer-
Processor      : M II 3x Core/Bus Clock
Memory      : 125MB (65MB used)
Operating System      : Puppy Linux 0.41
User Name      : root (root)
Date/Time      : Fri 24 Feb 2012 19:36:07 UTC
-Display-
Resolution      : 640x480 pixels
OpenGL Renderer      : Unknown
X11 Vendor      : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter      : (null)
-Input Devices-
 AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
 PC Speaker
-Printers (CUPS)-
CUPS-PDF      : (Default)
-IDE Disks-
-SCSI Disks-
SONY CD-ROM CDU5215
Verbatim STORE N GO

As  you can see, it was very old at that time, but thanks to it I was able to visit URLs  from where I chose  different components and read important instructions on how to assemble them and, what is more important, it enables me to be in touch with you know.

After what I have said about my motherboards in the messages I wrote on 30/9/11 20:36 UTC, 1/10/11 00:34, 9/12/11 and on 2/2/12 it seems that in this occasion its role will be so important as it was 5 years ago.

I think it really deserves this tribute and I hope the admin, this time, won't delete this portrait of its personality because it will also help you and them to understand the difficulties I must overcome to receive and send information. :) ;)

Raptor

Re: Tribute to the second most important tool I used to build a computer
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 03:26:16 PM »
So... What exactly are you building?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 08:16:33 PM »
None of your Posts have ever been deleted...
Perhaps you did something wrong way back when you say you posted that info originally.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Vigaenson

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 02:38:31 PM »
Dear Raptor and Patio:

Thank you for your time & patience.

Sorry for not having corrected in time the typo on the original post. Where I wrote "it enables me to be in touch with you know." I should have written "it enables me to be in touch with you now."

None of your Posts have ever been deleted...
Perhaps you did something wrong way back when you say you posted that info originally.
You are right Patio, the Posts were not deleted. It was the attachments to my second and seventh post to the http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,92064.0.html
thread that were deleted by admin. At least, that is what my browser is currently showing me. And it was in those attachments that there were details about my old computer's components.

So... What exactly are you building?
I'm not building anything yet, Raptor. I'm deciding how to rebuild (with the leftovers of the computer I assembled on March 2008) something better than this old computer I'm currently using,
The technician who furbishes computers has told me the only unsolvable problem I have there is in the motherboard. So I'm trying to rebuild on the basis of the Pentium 4 I have described in another thread.

Once more, thank you both for your time and patience.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 12:05:13 AM »
It was the attachments to my second and seventh post to the http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,92064.0.html
thread that were deleted by admin. At least, that is what my browser is currently showing me. And it was in those attachments that there were details about my old computer's components.

Attachments are deleted after a time to save space. If you don't want broken links or missing attachments, upload the relevant files elsewhere and link them.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Vigaenson

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 02:03:11 PM »
Hi BC_Programmer ! :)

Thank you for trying (once more) to rescue me from digital illiteracy.

When (on this thread) I wrote about the deletion of details of the very old computer I'm currently using,I was thinking of your post at the Attachment deleted by admin thread.

But now, after reading basically the same words written by you in this thread, I'm wondering if I haven't been thinking of "the right thing in the wrong way".

Because 'til now I had thought that it was Computer Hope's admin the one who had deleted my stuff to save band width and disk space.

Did you mean that it was/is the admin of the web host company I chose and used (when I uploaded the details of my old computer) and not Computer Hope's admin who did/does it? ???

Please correct me as soon as possible if I've been harboring stupid thoughts. :-[

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 02:32:50 PM »
The attachment was uploaded to the computerhope server. It wasn't uploaded elsewhere. Whether Nathan (the admin here) deletes them manually or whether he has a script that runs on a schedule that clear older attachments, the fact is that those attachments use up disk space on his server, not some other server.

Upload the images elsewhere- such as photobucket, or via a webhost. Many ISPs also give you some webspace to use, too. You can then use the forum to either link to those images or insert them in-line. Fore example:

If we return to this thread in a few years, as long as my site is still active, and that picture is still there, the image will appear. It doesn't use any space on ComputerHope; and doesn't reside on the server. The purpose of attachments here would be a short term exchange of files as a person is having their problem solved; the files themselves have little to no value afterwards and they are consuming disk space on Nathan's server. If he had allowed all attachments to stay, who knows how much space they would be using! Instead they have a time limit, or he goes through old threads and removes attachments to preserve disk space.

If the data is important... keep a copy. It's too late now, presumably, but the fact is that forum attachments are not a private storage repository for files, and in order to attach the file you need a copy on your local machine anyway. I prefer to avoid attachments because I have my own webhost anyway and can ensure the image will always appear- unless I do something, or my post is edited. Also, it feels "better" because I'm not using CH server bandwidth, but rather my own. (Also, attachments have a limited size and a limited set of extensions that are supported, too)

If you uploaded your images to a webhost, they would still be there. but if you did, you also attached them, which put them on the CH server, using up his disk space and bandwidth; the vast majority of attachments are fleeting; "here's a screenshot of the problem", or something; once the problem is solved, it's usually not necessary, and keeping the images around has a generally detrimental effect on the forum, as disk space is consumed on the server, bandwidth is used as web crawlers look at the image to extract metadata, which requires them to download it, etc.

Vigaenson

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 03:30:48 PM »
Thank you very much for your reply BC Programmer: :)

I think I understood about 90% of it.
I would like to understand the remaining 10% but I don't want to abuse of your kindness.
If going back into some details doesn't bother you, let me know and I will add some questions to this thread. :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 03:53:56 PM »

If going back into some details doesn't bother you, let me know and I will add some questions to this thread. :)

It doesn't :)

To correct a small error in my previous post, after the first paragraph, there was supposed to be an image, but I mistyped the url and missed a w.

So, pretend that is at the end of the first paragraph of my previous post.