Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "class not registered" - can't open anything, help!  (Read 18267 times)

nh2323

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    "class not registered" - can't open anything, help!
    « on: February 16, 2012, 04:40:09 PM »
    I operate windows 7 64-bit and this morning  my laptop (dell inspiron 1545) was absolutely fine, but now if i try to open any files I just keep on getting error messages. If i try opening documents or images I just get the same error  messages "class not registered". Any music files I just get "no such interface supported" and that is the same with any video files. Also I cannot open many of my programs including all of microsoft office. In addition I can't uninstall programs or install new ones. I have tried running registry cleaners and running "sfc scannow" for example, deleteing tons of files that could be mildly dodgey and of course tried restarting my laptop numerous times, but not being a techie i have no idea what to do! please help and post any and all solutions you may have, but please post things step by step. Thank you in advance!

note: 6gb ram, 640gb HD, genuine windows 64bit, AVG 9.0, microsoft security essentials, everything should be pretty up to date!

truenorth

Guru

Re: "class not registered" - can't open anything, help!
      « Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 05:12:21 PM »
      Here is a comprehensive article re "class not registered" error message. Please read it through to understand the causes that can create this message. Then further down in the article it will explain 2 methods that can be used to fix the problem. Let us know your results after you have tried the suggested remedies or if you need additional assistance.
      http://www.pcmmc.com/what-does-class-not-registered-mean.php
      truenorth

nh2323

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 02:47:31 AM »
        Thanks, but I can only manage to access a cached copy of that webpage, and then none of the links in it work either. I have now tried restoring my system but I can't even restore it, in the control panel the "back up and restore" just does nothing when clicked, and even when I try starting the system image from the drive its saved on to, i am getting the same "class not registered". I really have no idea what is going on here and i really don't fancy re installing windows! Is there anything else you could suggest?  :)

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 07:16:52 AM »
          nh2323, Would you please clarify that you were not even able to read the narrative contained on the web site i linked above. If that is so i can copy/paste the complete article (which includes the 2 methods of repair) and include it in a PM to you. I would normally prefer that the dialogue on an issue remain within the thread for the benefit of all. However given that it may only be you that cannot access the page then to allow you that opportunity i see no issue to offer that. We can then resume the discussion via the thread once that hurdle is overcome. Respond here on your decision re the PM and i will act accordingly. truenorth

nh2323

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 02:47:10 PM »
            Thanks true north but I have now just completely reinstalled windows onto my laptop and all seems fine, I spoke to a computer technician who seemed to think that the extent of the issue was too severe to be resolved, and so I reinstalled windows and restored it from a system image. But thank you for all of your help!

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 04:18:07 PM »
              Your very welcome--glad to see that your up and running again. In the probably unlikely event that the same issue may return (probably will be something very different however) i suggest now that you have full functionality that you travel to the web site i posted and print out the instructions on the repair (should be able to get it all on one page).truenorth