Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SCSI scanner in Windows XP  (Read 3367 times)

giomach

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    SCSI scanner in Windows XP
    « on: February 23, 2012, 10:23:37 AM »
    I have a Black Widow 9636 HiRes scanner (a rebadged Artec AT12) which operates via a special SCSI card (DTC328X, which doesn't support daisy-chaining) in a ISA slot under Windows 95.

It's working perfectly, but I want to move it to a newER (but not new) computer which only has PCI slots and runs under Windows XP.  I know I'm going to have a lot of problems, and most people will say I should get a new scanner, but I want to take it one step at a time until either it works or I can go no further.

I got a used SCSI card for a PCI slot, an Adaptec 19160/29160N. It seems to have installed perfectly in the target computer, using XP's drivers.  I next got a 2m cable and connected the scanner to the card, but the scanner is not detected (either by XP device manager or even by the Adaptec card).  The scanner has its SCSI ID set to 5 and I left it at that.  The Adaptec software says "no device" at ID 5.  The only thing I tried changing in the Adaptec software was to switch off "Initiate Wide Negotiation" for ID 5, but still "no device", though it now additionally says "insufficient termination".

So my question is (probably the first of many): how do I make the Adaptec card see the scanner?

A few other things:
    • I read somewhere that Artec say that the AT12 scanners do not work with Ultra SCSI.  This Adaptec card is Ultra/Fast, but claims to be "backwards compatible with previous generations of SCSI products"
    • I have no SCSI terminator. I don't need one on the old computer and I thought that the scanner had some kind of "built-in termination" but I can't see now where I got that idea.
    • I haven't yet tried to install a scanner driver on the target computer, but I thought the hardware should be detected even without a driver.  Is that not so?

Thanks for any insights.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: SCSI scanner in Windows XP
    « Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 10:41:24 AM »
    The card may be DOA...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "