Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can not change teh drive letter to C  (Read 3508 times)

blackrainbow

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• For the Emperor!
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Freaks geeks and autographs shop
  • Experience: Familiar
Can not change teh drive letter to C
« on: February 26, 2012, 08:22:47 PM »
I have split a 500gb hdd in to two partions one for my steam games (x) and the other for the OS and other stuff, (C) after reformatting my hard drive the games partions was labled as x but the partion with windows on is labled as d  is there any way i can change this back  to C

[year+ old attachment deleted by admin]

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Can not change teh drive letter to C
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 08:31:10 PM »
Did you say Windows XP?
Why is this important to you?

This is documented in the Microsoft KB, but it only applies to a case where you really need to change then drive letter. That is often when you have more hat one instance of the same OS on one drive and the second instance was made by a disk clone thing. Inn other words, it wants to be the C: drive.

It is done by edits to the registry. Are you willing to edit the registry? Unless there is a real problem, better to just leave it alone.

blackrainbow

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• For the Emperor!
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Freaks geeks and autographs shop
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 08:35:40 PM »
Nope im not using xp I'im using win 7 ultimate 64 bit the reason why i want to change the drive letter is my nvidia card up date will not install because its not set to c

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 08:46:41 PM »
Right. Somehow I thought only XP did that sort of thing.
Here is some specific information you need to read over:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188
Normally the boot drive and the system drive are the same and should be set to C: in Windows 7. But it can work even if it is not set as C:. In  your case there is no C:, so logically you want the system drive to be C because that is what most programs expect.

EDIT: More links
http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/150042-how-restore-boot-drive-letter-windows-7-a.html

http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/windows-client/changing-the-windows-system-drive-letter

These are considered (By me) to be preferable to some of the other explanations I have seen. Le me know if these do or do not work for you.