Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot connect to one specific website  (Read 30884 times)

howzer

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Cannot connect to one specific website
« on: March 01, 2012, 01:55:02 AM »
I am having a very frustrating problem with accessing a particular website. The problem: one single computer on my network cannot access this website, while every other computer/device on the same network can reach the site just fine. The computer that cannot reach the site is running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

- "The connection has timed out. The server at www.ee.hawaii.edu is taking too long to respond."
- Pings to the site are successful, but no browser can open the site (I assume this rules out a DNS issue, as pinging resolves the IP address of the site)
- Even trying to access the site using its IP instead does not work
- I have tried ipconfig /flushdns command, as well as other netsh reset commands
- If I boot off a gentoo linux livedvd, I can reach the site fine. It is just from this windows installation I cannot reach the site
- Other computers connected via ethernet (static ip or dhcp assigned) to the same main router can reach the site, as well as laptops/phones connected via wifi/dhcp
- I do not have windows firewall enabled at the moment, nor any other firewall software installed
- I only have MSE antivirus actively enabled, but have disabled this and still has no effect
- I have boot into safe mode with networking, and still cannot reach the site
- I have run virus/other scans using MSE, malwarebytes, superantispyware, ESET online scan. Nothing of significance has been found, and am still having the problem
- Windows hosts file is clean and in tact, no entries besides the localhost entry
- The browser I use is irrelevant, I cannot reach the site with firefox, IE, chrome
- Have cleared numerous cache/temps, even with CCleaner
- I can browse any other site just fine
- I have been able to reach the site from this computer with current OS in the past

Anyone have any ideas?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 02:43:57 AM by howzer »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Cannot connect to one specific website
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 08:59:19 AM »
- If I boot off a gentoo linux livedvd, I can reach the site fine. It is just from this windows installation I cannot reach the site

It has to do with some settings in windows.
Try this: Make a new user account with normal privileges. Log into that new user and see if the behavior is the same.

It may be a 'parental control' that blocks the site. Try using a proxy to see if that makes a difference. But hard to imagine that anybody would block http://www.ee.hawaii.edu/ for any reason.

http://usproxyserver.info/   <<-- Try this.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 09:10:09 AM »
Did you reset your router and modem?

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 09:47:59 AM »
Did you reset your router and modem?

Every time I've encountered this problem myself and with people e-mailing in it was resolved by resetting the router and modem (e.g. unplugging waiting and plugging back in) would highly recommend trying this as suggested.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

howzer

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 02:33:38 PM »
I have done most of the obvious, like rebooting the computer, modem, routers (have even started with a fresh router firmware flash)... I have no parental controls (can't even be set for current admin account). As I said, it is not limited to any particular browser. If I create another user account, I still cannot access it from the new account. I can access the site through a proxy.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 02:48:44 PM »
OK. It must be the hosts file.
Code: [Select]
notepad c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hostsThe above command will edit the hosts file of your system.
This allows you to get to a site that does not have a DNS entry. Or it can be used to divert or sidetrack  a site. Or block a site.

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 03:04:58 PM »
OK. It must be the hosts file.
Code: [Select]
notepad c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hostsThe above command will edit the hosts file of your system.
This allows you to get to a site that does not have a DNS entry. Or it can be used to divert or sidetrack  a site. Or block a site.

Only useful if the site is actually mentioned in the HOSTS file.

This may help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813827

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 03:19:33 PM »
Only useful if the site is actually mentioned in the HOSTS file.
It is.

howzer

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 04:39:02 PM »
It is.
It is not. I have already stated that I have checked the windows hosts file. My computer can resolve the IP of the website just fine... (128.171.61.135)

It also is not an IE timeout issue. This problem is not restricted to IE.

GlitchPC

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 04:47:49 PM »

- I have been able to reach the site from this computer with current OS in the past

Anyone have any ideas?

Maybe stating the obvious but...if it worked before...System Restore.  Have you tried that?

abu.sayeed

• Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 06:08:39 PM »
    Please reset the ARP of switch from which your problematic system is connected...

howzer

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
    « Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 07:32:45 PM »
    Maybe stating the obvious but...if it worked before...System Restore.  Have you tried that?
    This is not possible.

Quote from: abu.sayeed
    Please reset the ARP of switch from which your problematic system is connected...
    Do you mean something in the linksys router I am using? I have tried reflashing the firmware back to a clean original state, would this have done as you stated? The problem still persists. I should also probably mention, that the computer plugged directly into the DSL modem with no router used also results in the same thing, unable to access this specific website.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 10:22:41 PM »
    You might wanna ask a malware expert in the Virus and Spyware section to check on certain logs. They have special tools to review your system.

Fed

• Sage
      « Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 10:25:10 PM »
      You should also ask the IT Dept at the website if they can throw any light on it.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 10:32:40 PM »
      Are you the owner of the network? Do you have full control?
      Time to review the facts.
      It used to be OK.
      The problem is only with
      www.ee.hawaii.edu
        But what about a base  that site? Like http://hawaii.edu
      Other PCs on the network do not have a problem
      Same PC with Linux does not have the problem
      Same PC has the problem direct from modem.

It is NOT in the hosts file.
      You verified the hosts file role? I mean you are sure tree hosts files is working. There is a prank where the hosts file can be placed in another place. Or even renamed.