Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot connect to one specific website  (Read 31866 times)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Cannot connect to one specific website
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2012, 03:28:39 AM »
I know I have already told him about System Restore...which he has replied, "This is not possible".

That is an odd answer. It is almost as if the joke is on us, not him.

FYI:
    What Should I Do?
In addition to directing your computer to utilize rogue DNS servers, the DNSChanger
malware may have prevented your computer from obtaining operating system and anti-
malware updates, both critical to protecting your computer from online threats. This
behavior increases the likelihood of your computer being infected by additional malware.
The criminals who conspired to infect computers with this malware utilized various methods
to spread the infections. At this time, there is no single patch or fix that can be downloaded
and installed to remove this malware.
Individuals who believe their computer may be
infected should consult a computer professional.   
Individuals who do not have a recent back-up of their important documents, photos, music,
and other files should complete a back-up before attempting to clean the malware or utilize
the restore procedures that may have been packaged with your computer.
Information regarding malicious software removal can be found at the website of the United
States Computer Emergency Readiness Team:
https://www.us-cert.gov/reading_room/trojan-recovery.pdf.
Now I do not know if he has the DNSChanger or one of its variants. Notice that part I underlined. If the Mal ware is of that type, both detection and removal are beyond the skill level of a newcomer.

GlitchPC

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2012, 03:36:44 AM »
This being the case (as far as a Malware infection goes)...why does it only affect one website...and not others?  It should affect all sites he visits...true?

This is why I want him to post those screenshots...

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2012, 04:40:59 AM »
And that is why I think it is a prank. If he really is newbie to computer stuff, one of his classmates could fool him into thinking is not a bit of malicious software.  A variant of that kind of thing could have be duplicated by a clever student and placed in his system inn such a was as to evade detection.

I am not going ton explain how easy nit nis to fool a newbie to not look in the right places. For one, it is contrary to CH policies to encourage or revel how pranks are carried off. Also, I don't know how it was done.

The fact that he can get there on other machines and the fact that Linux and get to the site makes it rather clear that it has to be inside Windows 7 somehow.

Without knowing the details of his setup, it is hard to guess.I wonder if he has full administrative rights on his machine?

howzer

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2012, 04:58:19 AM »
I am unable to do a system restore because I do not have a restore point back to before the problem is known to have begun. You may not agree with it, but I do not enable system restore, and as such it is not something I can resort to. The suggestions you guys are making are beginning to get a bit unreasonable, I have stated my facts and observances, I am not here to "trick" anyone... I have a legitimate problem I am trying to resolve. Many of the things you both have suggested I have already accounted for, and several things can already be ruled out...

The computer I am using is self-built, if you must know the hardware details then I can present them, otherwise I don't believe they are relevant to this problem at all. The ethernet card is integrated on the motherboard as I have stated in a previous post. I have updated to current drivers, which had no effect on the problem. Could you please suggest one of the "large number of things" I have failed to do already, I really am open to trying legitimate possible solutions... Reinstalling the OS is out of the question, and is not a reasonable solution to a problem. At this point I am going to continue working with the server administrator to determine if that is a possibility or not.

Windows 7 does not include IP filtering options in TCP/IP settings anymore, I believe they are now a function of windows firewall.

Site loading on my wife's Kindle connected via wifi to same router as main computer, screen in background is main computer in question on the exact same network:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 05:52:17 AM by howzer »

Raptor

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2012, 05:05:42 AM »
You may not agree with it, but I do not enable system restore,

I fully agree with that! System restore is a horrible way of "solving" problems. I always disable it on my client's computers because I don't want them to roll back to a wonky period of their Windows by accident. (Or on purpose in the name of "solving problems themselves")

Can you connect to the website in question through a proxy or an anonymizer website?
A good way to try it would be to use ixquick.com, search for http://www.ee.hawaii.edu/ and then click "proxy" in the search results.

Or are you currently using a proxy? Disable that under tools -> options ->  network -> settings -> No Proxy

howzer

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2012, 05:13:22 AM »
I am not currently using a proxy, and yes I am able to connect to the site via a proxy/anonymous browsing site.

It is currently the weekend, so I may not hear back from the sys admin until Monday. I will update with information from them as it comes.

GlitchPC

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2012, 05:19:42 AM »
The suggestions you guys are making are beginning to get a bit unreasonable...

I can understand why you may feel this way but, at no time did I think any of my suggestions were "unreasonable"...to the contrary...I think they were quite reasonable based on your current status.  Troubleshooting may not be as easy as one may expect...and we only ask you bear with us.

Thank you for posting the screenshots...

Have you tried using a different DNS server?  Have you tried obtaining the IP address automatically?  I apologize, in advance if this has been stated before...by you.

howzer

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2012, 05:27:13 AM »
Yes I have tried using OpenDNS and Google DNS, but there is not a problem with my ISP's supplied DNS in resolving domain names... I don't think it would make any difference in this situation using statically assigned IP and DNS addresses vs DHCP configured by the router, but yes I have tried this to no avail.

GlitchPC

« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2012, 05:29:17 AM »
Scratching my head...

howzer

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2012, 05:32:28 AM »
Scratching my head...

How do you think I feel..  :-X

GlitchPC

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2012, 05:40:29 AM »
LOL!  I hear ya, bud!  The good thing is...you've done most steps to resolve the issue on your end...and you've contacted the site owner.  This, I believe...will more than likely be the root cause as previously stated.

GlitchPC

« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2012, 05:49:15 AM »
howzer...

Is IPv6 enabled on this computer?  If yes...have you tried disabling that and trying?

Raptor

« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2012, 05:56:50 AM »
Out of curiosity what happens when you fill out the complete address instead of just ee.hawaii.edu? http://www.ee.hawaii.edu/

howzer

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2012, 05:58:43 AM »
howzer...

Is IPv6 enabled on this computer?  If yes...have you tried disabling that and trying?
It is enabled, and disabling it has no effect.

Out of curiosity what happens when you fill out the complete address instead of just ee.hawaii.edu? http://www.ee.hawaii.edu/
Haha, sadly no difference :(

I appreciate the help guys, I seriously have never had such a bizarre and frustrating problem given the circumstances~

GlitchPC

« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2012, 06:03:11 AM »
I have to ask...

Does this particular computer use or, has used any IP blocker software...or P2P software?