Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot connect to one specific website  (Read 31706 times)

howzer

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Cannot connect to one specific website
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2012, 06:06:30 AM »
I have to ask...

Does this particular computer use or, has used any IP blocker software...or P2P software?
Never used any type of IP blocker. I use nothing beyond bittorrent, which I have been using far longer than this problem has been present.

GlitchPC

« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2012, 06:12:19 AM »
I haven't given up on you, howzer... ;D

How about this?
Your router could be attempting to proxy DNS requests and failing. Refer to the documentation that came with your router for instructions on disabling DNS proxying.

The above is from Microsoft...

Salmon Trout

« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2012, 06:14:08 AM »
I think it is a prank.

I am seriously wondering this.

Raptor

« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2012, 06:17:14 AM »
It still sounds to me like the router's DNS cache needs to be emptied because the router and/or modem wasn't properly reset but I'm curious what the webmaster has to say.

GlitchPC

« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2012, 06:21:48 AM »
Not sure if this has been asked either, howzer...

Is there any other hardware being used in your network setup, other than a router and modem?

howzer

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2012, 06:27:12 AM »
I'm running dd-wrt on my router, which uses dnsmasq as my local dns and dhcp server. I believe killing and restarting the dnsmasq process is sufficient to clear its dns cache, which I have attempted to do. I think restarting the router and the DSL modem would also achieve this? These had no effect :\ I suppose I can only wait to hear from the other end at this point.

ISP -> DSL modem -> dd-wrt router -> computers/devices is all that makes up my network :)
If I haven't stated already, I have also tried with computer connected directly to DSL modem (DHCP direct from ISP), same result.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 06:43:47 AM by howzer »

Raptor

« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2012, 06:45:01 AM »
Yeah, restarting it should effectively clear any caches on any default firmware. Never worked with DD-WRT, though. However, since the problem also occurs when you connect directly to your modem we can obviously rule out the router.

Could you do a tracert on ee.hawaii.edu and post the results?

GlitchPC

« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2012, 08:20:01 AM »
Upon further investigation, I've come across some additional information.  While this may/may not apply to you, howzer...I still feel it may be worth looking into.

You stated...and I quote:
The ethernet is a realtek one integrated in the motherboard. I have tried completely uninstalling the device and reinstalling with newer drivers.

Where did these drivers come from?

There is the possibility some settings changed in Windows 7 as a result of installing these "newer" drivers.

What I'd like you to do is check your network adapter's Advanced Settings tab to see if Large Send Offload (IPv4) is enabled.  If it is...try disabling it to see if this has any effect.

Look forward to your reply...

Edit...

If the above does not work...here's something else you may want to look into:  Change your MTU under Vista or Windows 7

Now...I'm not simply grasping at straws here....I'm just trying to rule out any other possibilities which may be related to your issue.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 09:07:27 AM by GlitchPC »

howzer

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2012, 04:14:48 PM »
Traceroute fails after about 4 hops, however I believe this is inconclusive as this is the case with all my windows computers (as if ICMP packets are being blocked somewhere along the route). Does anyone know of maybe a traceroute application that uses UDP I can quickly grab somewhere?

I used the drivers provided by my motherboard manufacturer, and are written by realtek.

Large Send Offload (IPv4) is enabled, while Large Send Offload v2 (IPv4) is disabled.
Disabling both did not have an effect. Disabling "v1" and enabling v2 also did not help.

Using ping www.ee.hawaii.edu -f -l 1472 is successful, and the site suggests an MTU change is not necessary if this is the case, (it is on default MTU=1500 currently).

Raptor

« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2012, 04:45:51 PM »
Traceroute fails after about 4 hops, however I believe this is inconclusive as this is the case with all my windows computers (as if ICMP packets are being blocked somewhere along the route). Does anyone know of maybe a traceroute application that uses UDP I can quickly grab somewhere?

But it at least leaves the local network, right?

Could you perhaps list all the installed software with Belarc advisor?

howzer

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2012, 05:16:46 PM »
Yes it does make it out of my network at least.

http://pastebin.com/tfJWU5id

Raptor

« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2012, 05:51:39 PM »
That looks O.K.

Well, I'm stumped. Wondering what the administrator will have to say about it.

Out of curiosity: are your proxy settings set to "auto-detect proxy"? or "no proxy"?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2012, 06:13:58 PM »
Well, I'm stumped. Wondering what the administrator will have to say about it.
Who is the  administrator? Is this LAN not his own? Do other people have administrative control of the OPs computer?

In no longer understand the point of this thread. Why not just fix it and be done with it. In the computer is his, and he is the owner of the network, he has the authority to fix the problem without knowing what the problem is. He already stated that the problem is NOT with Linux on the same hardware.

He says it works OK with a proxy.  Build a proxy. Problem fixed.

howzer

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2012, 06:27:42 PM »
Out of curiosity: are your proxy settings set to "auto-detect proxy"? or "no proxy"?

They are set to use "do not use a proxy" in my browsers. Does this type of setting exist elsewhere in the OS, and besides IE's "internet options" in control panel?

Who is the  administrator? Is this LAN not his own? Do other people have administrative control of the OPs computer?

In no longer understand the point of this thread. Why not just fix it and be done with it. In the computer is his, and he is the owner of the network, he has the authority to fix the problem without knowing what the problem is. He already stated that the problem is NOT with Linux on the same hardware.

He says it works OK with a proxy.  Build a proxy. Problem fixed.

It appears there may be other things you are not understanding in this thread. Also, a workaround =/= a solution.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2012, 06:58:22 PM »
It appears there may be other things you are not understanding in this thread. Also, a workaround =/= a solution.

No, a workaround is a solution. But a workaround is not an answer to question or a puzzle. . You are looking nor the definitive answer to a problem. You are  asking 'Why' and 'How' rather that getting the issue out of sight.

But if you what to know more, great. I respect that. Keep at in and you will in time find the specific bit of software inside of Windows 7 that does that sort of thing. Then the question will be; 'Who did it?'

The software may  not show in a virus scan. Buy it can be found by human Mal ware trackers. They can spot a new program that is not part of the regular Windows 7 package. How those guys can sport that is beyond me. They are the same guys that can do core dumps during a lunch break.