Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ubuntu Won't Accept Wireless Password  (Read 14155 times)

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Ubuntu Won't Accept Wireless Password
« on: March 02, 2012, 04:21:05 AM »
Please bare with me and be patient I'm somewhat new to Linux, I'm trying out various alternative OS's, so give it to me in laymen's terms.

Now down to the problem; I already have an existing installation of Windows XP and 7, these both connect to the wireless network no problem. But my newly installed Ubuntu 11.10 only connected once on first intall but now will not. It asks for the password, tries to connect fails and asks me for the password again. My first approach was human error (am I typing in the wrong password) but it is the right password. As soon as I find out what network card I am using I will try drivers from the manufacturer. In the mean time does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do?

Raptor

Re: Ubuntu Won't Accept Wireless Password
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 04:50:41 AM »
Please bare with me

Maybe if you buy me a few drinks ...

There's no such thing as a network "password"; are you sure you're not trying to type the network key in the password prompt that is meant to elevate your privileges?

Because that requires the password of your administrator account in Linux and not the network key...

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 05:27:17 AM »
As the passwords are the same I'm pretty sure that it's not the case. That and I'm sure it's asking for the network password or key, or whatever else you want to call it.

I was meant to add that I idiot proofed the passwords. (Although the numberlock frequently gets the better of me)

Also my computer does not like sending liquids via the internet. It just sparks and crackles...

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 05:58:51 AM »
Also my computer does not like sending liquids via the internet. It just sparks and crackles...

He was tactfully correcting your spelling. You wrote "bare with me" which means "get undressed with me". If you meant "be patient with me" you should have written "bear with me".

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 09:43:06 AM »
I forgot about this topic. Not very knowledgeable on wireless in Linux, always use cable for optimimum results.

Are you sure the correct drivers are installed for your WLAN cards? I recall there being some issues with that a few years back where some drivers would not support WPA.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 05:05:13 PM »
He is asking about Ubuntu on a wireless.
He needs the correct key for the wireless network.
At some point in time wireless routers are now doing a tough security instead of the older WEP type security.
Two runarounds:
Connect directly to a Ethernet cable.
Set the wireless router to no security.
 (Using WEP is about the same as no security. Almost.)

More mere information on new security rules, consult the documentation and the web site of the rout3r manufacture.

This provides some background information.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wired_Equivalent_Privacy
But does not has answer to the issue at hand.

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 03:09:01 AM »
A new update as well I'm now trying Mint… Exact same results.

He is asking about Ubuntu on a wireless.
He needs the correct key for the wireless network.
At some point in time wireless routers are now doing a tough security instead of the older WEP type security.
Two run-arounds:
Connect directly to a Ethernet cable.
Set the wireless router to no security.
 (Using WEP is about the same as no security. Almost.)

More mere information on new security rules, consult the documentation and the web site of the rout3r manufacture.

This provides some background information.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wired_Equivalent_Privacy
But does not has answer to the issue at hand.

So you're saying that the rumours about Linux's Wi-Fi abilities being a baked potato where true?

I forgot about this topic. Not very knowledgeable on wireless in Linux, always use cable for optimum results.

Are you sure the correct drivers are installed for your WLAN cards? I recall there being some issues with that a few years back where some drivers would not support WPA.

I looked this up, the network card that I'm using is apparently on the definitely supported list. The manufacturer does provide drivers but I can't work out how to install them (something about having to compile the desired files? Helpful at any rate if you have little experience with Wi-Fi drivers and no idea about the layout of the Linux file system, unless I'm misinterpreting it). Also it's not limited to one piece of hardware.

He was tactfully correcting your spelling. You wrote "bare with me" which means "get undressed with me". If you meant "be patient with me" you should have written "bear with me".

Why would I want a bear in the room with me? Sounds kind of dangerous. To be honest I did think about this before I typed it but both options sounded/looked equally ridiculous. Also my spelling was perfect; my grammar was off. You will never get a reputation for being a grammar Nazi  like that.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 10:10:19 AM »
Find out what kind of security is being mused on the wireless network. The new security requires a very long key.

EDIT
Here is a tutorial that may help some.
My Linksys WRT54GL and Ubuntu wireless settings
http://johnbokma.com/mexit/2007/12/29/my-linksys-wrt54gl-ubuntu-wireless-settings.html
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 10:26:00 AM by Geek-9pm »

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 10:42:41 AM »
my spelling was perfect; my grammar was off.

Your spelling was wrong. It's like writing "loose" when you mean "lose". It's a spelling error.