Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: haunted computer, I think it's RAM?  (Read 2307 times)

HermanHanschke

haunted computer, I think it's RAM?
« on: September 17, 2005, 03:43:32 PM »
Hello,

On a system that I'm working on, I'm trying to get Windows 2000 reinstalled and functioning properly.

It kept doing odd things like saying that it couldn't find certain files when in the middle of installing service pack 4 (like MSI.DL_), but not always the same file.  (So far, I've tried re-installing several times).

I then decided to try downloading the SP4 file onto my hard drive, and comparing it with the one that I have on CD using the FC command.  Differences were found.

I suspected RAM, so I swapped the 256 meg chip out of the computer with a 64 meg chip that I had lying around.  After downloading the SP4 file onto my hard drive again, I ran FC again.  This time, no differences were found.

Realizing that 64RAM would not be enough for this system, I found a 128 chip that I had around, and I tried the same test again.  Differences were found.  

The system is a Pentium III 750mhz with a motherboard that I'm still in the middle of trying to identify (it has an Award BIOS).  

What would be the next step in troubleshooting this?  

Thanks,

Computer_Commando

Re: haunted computer, I think it's RAM?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 03:59:15 PM »
...The system is a Pentium III 750mhz with a motherboard that I'm still in the middle of trying to identify (it has an Award BIOS).  What would be the next step in troubleshooting this?...

See link to BIOS Numbers:
http://www.wimsbios.com/