Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Black screen with only mouse cursor after logging into account  (Read 3547 times)

SneezingPanda

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Hi, as mentioned in the title, after logging in to my account (i.e. typing password), the screen, which normally would have desktop icons )e.g. My Computer, Recycle Bin, START (at the bottom left hand corner), now only shows a black display with my mouse cursor.

I can't Ctrl+Esc, or right click on the desktop
    but I can Ctrl+Alt+Del to start task manager (hence access to Computer Hope website)

May I know what the problem is and how can I go about resolving the issue?

Thank you for sparring a little of your precious time in helping me with this problem ^^

oh and btw, a friend of mine mentioned it is probably my "desk.dsk file is corrupted"

truenorth

Guru

Re: Black screen with only mouse cursor after logging into account
      « Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 04:34:40 PM »
      What is your operating system and make and model of the computer? Can you get into safe mode?Any recent software or hardware additions/deletions from this computer? truenorth

SneezingPanda

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 03:17:04 AM »
        Thanks for the reply! :)

make and model: Acer Aspire M5620

and yes I can get into safe mode, but the Taskbar and Start Menu and desktop icons still doesn't show.. it's still a black screen.. only difference is that there is the words "Safe Mode" at the 4 corners and "Microsoft (R) Windows (R)" at the top center.

I've tried opening Control Panel (via Task Manager) to access to Taskbar and Start Menu but it doesn't open.

I've also tried "Last Known Good Configuration" but it doesn't resolve the problem either.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 06:52:52 PM »
          Presuming that you have not left any media in the drives you might try removing the CMOS battery for about 5 minutes. Then reinstalling it and tell us the result. Do you have your manual for the computer? Is it the 32 or 64 bit vista O/S? If you can remember how did you shut down the computer the last time before this issue arose? Also again if you can remember what was the last function that you did before that shutdown?truenorth