Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: compCompressed files  (Read 5331 times)

redvette6

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    compCompressed files
    « on: March 17, 2012, 06:51:25 PM »
    I was told by a computer repair shop that I have a bunch of compressed files that are taking up lots of room on the hard drive. Is there anyway to tell what is in these files so they can be deleted? Thanks for the help.

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
      • Programming Blog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: compCompressed files
    « Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 07:21:51 PM »
    It depends on what kind of compressed files they are. They could be compressed archives (like 7-zip, winrar, zip) or they could be NTFS compressed files. What do these files look like? What are the extensions on them?

If you simply want to find what files are using up space on the drive (no matter what they are), then download this app http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/ It will tell you what files are using up space on your drive. It will show you a graph and sort by most space to least space, so you can decide what you need to delete.

If you see something in that program and you don't know whether it is safe or not to delete, just post back here.
    YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 11:37:58 AM »
    Did you happen to ask them what the location of these files is? Or extension?

redvette6

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 04:14:39 PM »
      [/quote     I didn't ask them anything about the location or extension.

I didn't ask them anything about the location or extension.

redvette6

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 04:55:11 PM »
        It depends on what kind of compressed files they are. They could be compressed archives (like 7-zip, winrar, zip) or they could be NTFS compressed files. What do these files look like? What are the extensions on them?

If you simply want to find what files are using up space on the drive (no matter what they are), then download this app http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/ It will tell you what files are using up space on your drive. It will show you a graph and sort by most space to least space, so you can decide what you need to delete.

If you see something in that program and you don't know whether it is safe or not to delete, just post back here.
        I looked at this and I don't see anywhere to delete things. I did find some things that could be deleted.

redvette6

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 04:59:24 PM »
          I looked at this and I don't see anywhere to delete things. I did find some things that could be deleted.
          Probably 99% of the files listed I don't have a clue as to what they are. And how to I delete things off there? I couldn't find out how to do that.