Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Screen goes black when playing - "signal lost"  (Read 8288 times)

karinms

Topic Starter

Rookie

• My Page on the Net
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Screen goes black when playing - "signal lost"
« on: March 18, 2012, 09:51:57 AM »
I'm putting this here since it's only happening when I'm playing games but I'm not sure if I'm in the right place for this.
When I'm playing graphic-heavy games my screen goes black after 6 min (I've timed it) and gives me the message "signal lost" (or maybe it's "no signal"?) and I have to reboot. Anyway, this has been going on for nearly a year. I haven't added anything except regular updates (windows update, drivers etc) and before this started I could play graphic-heavy games without any problems. I even took it back to the store and had it checked for any problems. I described what was wrong but when I got it back they said they found nothing except dust. I took it home to play and the same thing happened again. Nothing wrong, sure.
I've tried to keep it dust-free and cool, used a different screen, going back to previous drivers in case the new one was unstable or something, updated the drivers (and the games when possible) again, changed the in-game options to low or off but nothing seems to work. If I'm very lucky I can play the games for 30-120min instead of only 6min but I've no idea why and I can't get it to happen again with any regularity.
Ordinary games works without any problems. Examples are Broken Sword, Sherlock Holmes, Still Life, Darkness Within and various MMORPGs like Luvinia. Examples of graphic-heavy games no longer working: Two Worlds 1&2, Mass Effect and the Reckoning: Kingdom of Amalur.

I'm using a gaming-computer that's soon 3 years old. I'm not really sure what info you need to know or where I can find it. I've checked the temp with CPUID Hardware Monitor and the Core is 55C-63C and the fan's 65C-72C (if I'm reading it correctly). Is that high or read wrong?

Windows Vista Home Premium, SP2, 32bit
Intel Core2Quad E8200
4GB RAM
NVidia Geforce 9800 GT
Realtek High Definition Audio
Avira Antivir Personal, Ad-Aware, SpywareBlaster
---<-<-@

Raptor

Re: Screen goes black when playing - "signal lost"
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 11:36:05 AM »
72c is sort of hot. Is that the temperature at the time of the problem as well?

Make sure your videocard is firmly seated.

karinms

Topic Starter

Rookie

• My Page on the Net
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 11:53:23 AM »
It's the temp the CPUID says it's now but the fan is quiet and the casing is cool so I don't know if it's true or not. I haven't checked the temp when playing (either before or after, I just got the program) but I have tried to play at different times ie the first thing I did after starting the computer in the morning vs waiting several hours after starting it. If it went black because of overheating then shouldn't I have been able to play when the computer was recently turned on?
I haven't tested if the videocard is firmly seated yet, though I've thought about it. The thing is, the casing is sealed by the store/workshop. Probably so the warranty will still be valid. I can either check it myself and probably not find anything, or wait and let them check it for a fee. Again. Keep the warranty or keep the money...
---<-<-@

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 04:21:14 PM »
t. I haven't checked the temp when playing (either before or after, I just got the program) but I have tried to play at different times ie the first thing I did after starting the computer in the morning vs waiting several hours after starting it

Perhaps the fan is failing but hasn't failed completely, resulting in certain gaming sessions being O.K.

You need to check the temperatures at the time of a crash and before that. Report them.

Also, is there still warranty on the computer after 3 years? It's important that you can inspect it for blown capacitors and other signs of damage..

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 03:11:32 AM »
I think it's overheating, as those temps are a bit high.

The first thing I would recommend is removing the CPU cooler/fan, clean the thermal paste off the heat sink and the processor, then reapply it. If you're using the stock Intel cooler that came with the CPU, you might also consider upgrading to a better cooler/fan.

h3rm1t9536

• Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 08:52:18 AM »
    Hi Karinms,

Did you solve this problem?

I'm having the same issue on my sons PC and we've pretty much changed out everything excepts the SDD and HDD drives.....massively baffled!

The only thing I might think it could be is that he connects it through a 720p TV with a cistom res due to oversized display.

Anyway, I'd be grateful if you can tell me if you fixed it.

Thanks

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 08:03:35 PM »
    Hi Karinms,

Did you solve this problem?

I'm having the same issue on my sons PC and we've pretty much changed out everything excepts the SDD and HDD drives.....massively baffled!

The only thing I might think it could be is that he connects it through a 720p TV with a cistom res due to oversized display.

Anyway, I'd be grateful if you can tell me if you fixed it.

Thanks

Please start your own topic for your issue.