Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Video Card Problems  (Read 4724 times)

Acksy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Video Card Problems
    « on: March 19, 2012, 04:09:04 PM »
    While browsing the internet my computer suddenly froze, so I restarted into safe mode to scan for viruses(none found), but there were red dots everywhere and the colors were all funky. Now it won't boot normally, only into Safe Mode. From what I can tell I need to replace my video card, but I want to make sure that's the only problem, it worries me about not being able to boot normally.

Alienware Area 51 7500
    Windows Vista 32-bit
    EVGA Nforce 680I SLI MB REV D motherboard
    Intel E8200 CPU
    Nvidia GEForce 8800GT 512MB PCI-E REV 1 graphics processor

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Video Card Problems
    « Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 04:29:43 PM »
    For a quick test you could remove all power...remove and re-seat the vid card...then re-install the latest drivers.
    You'll know if it's bad after that...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Acksy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 05:32:16 PM »
      I reseated it yesterday after the problems started, didn't notice any change, and can't reinstall drivers in safe mode right?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 07:46:57 PM »
      Yes...you can actually...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Acksy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 10:51:57 PM »
        Okeydoke well I uninstalled and reinstalled my driver and it has the same problem

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 02:37:30 AM »
        While browsing the internet my computer suddenly froze, so I restarted into safe mode to scan for viruses(none found), but there were red dots everywhere and the colors were all funky. Now it won't boot normally, only into Safe Mode. From what I can tell I need to replace my video card, but I want to make sure that's the only problem, it worries me about not being able to boot normally.

Alienware Area 51 7500
        Windows Vista 32-bit
        EVGA Nforce 680I SLI MB REV D motherboard
        Intel E8200 CPU
        Nvidia GEForce 8800GT 512MB PCI-E REV 1 graphics processor

The funky colors and red dots are possibly because you're running in a very low color mode (likely 256 colors or less) in Safe Mode. This isn't necessarily a problem with the card and is sometimes normal.

When it doesn't boot normally, what does it do? Any error messages? Looping restart? Freeze? At what point does it stop booting? Does it always stop in the same place?

Acksy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 02:49:18 PM »
          It's just I've never seen Safe Mode this bad before.

When booting, it shows the NForce 680i SLI screen(with unusual gray dots), then the screen where you hit F8 to go to safe mode(not sure what that screen is called), then a black screen with unusual blue streaks, then Microsoft Corporation loading bar for a minute, then it goes black after that. After a few minutes it restarted and came up with "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause." and the option to repair from the Windows installation disc or go to safe mode

And it does always stop there, but sometimes it never restarts, just stays blank, and one time it kept restarting without that failure notification screen

quaxo

Guru
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 12:51:54 AM »
          It's just I've never seen Safe Mode this bad before.

When booting, it shows the NForce 680i SLI screen(with unusual gray dots), then the screen where you hit F8 to go to safe mode(not sure what that screen is called), then a black screen with unusual blue streaks, then Microsoft Corporation loading bar for a minute, then it goes black after that. After a few minutes it restarted and came up with "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause." and the option to repair from the Windows installation disc or go to safe mode

And it does always stop there, but sometimes it never restarts, just stays blank, and one time it kept restarting without that failure notification screen

See, every little detail helps.  ;D

If you're getting weird streaks and spots in other places other than Safemode, then your graphics card is probably dying. Since the 680i doesn't have on-board video, do you have access to another compatible card to swap out for testing?

Acksy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 02:07:37 PM »
            Only if I swipe one out of my dad's computer, but I don't really want to mess with that  :P

What concerns me most is only being able to boot in safe mode, does a failing graphics card prevent normal booting but still allow safe mode? I know very little about hardware!

quaxo

Guru
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 08:52:08 PM »
            It's possible for a failing graphics card to cause the computer to freeze while booting. Safemode doesn't load the graphics card driver, therefore not fully using the graphics card. It may be when loading Windows normally it tries to load the driver that the card actually causes problems with working properly. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen it.

You've already reinstalled the driver, so it's pretty safe to assume the driver itself is not at fault.

Since your motherboard doesn't have on-board video, the only way to determine if that card is having issues is to swap it out with another card or to put that card in another computer and judge the results.

You might reseat the card again, as a last attempt, and when you remove the card, check that the slot is clean and clear of dust bunnies.

(Unless another member has some other suggestion?)