Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: laptop shuts down after ram upgrade  (Read 6026 times)

rejnis

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    laptop shuts down after ram upgrade
    « on: March 29, 2012, 05:02:04 AM »
    I upgraded my old laptop with ram it had ddr2 512mb and i bought another one ddr2 512mb, laptop has two slots for ram. after ram upgrade laptop shuts down like after 2-5min everytime i start it on. when i take the new ram out, everything comes back to normal. what seems to be the problem? my laptop is asus a6m, amd sempron 1,6 ghz, 60gb drive. using xp sp2.

truenorth

Guru

Re: laptop shuts down after ram upgrade
      « Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 11:08:30 AM »
      Either a bad RAM module was installed (that does happen) or the replacement RAM is NOT either compatible with the computer or the other RAM module. What happens to performance if only the new RAM is placed in the computer by itself? Try it in both slots.truenorth

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 07:43:07 PM »
      Wrong RAM...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

rejnis

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 04:21:33 AM »
        so i placed only the new ram and it works fine. i gues it's not compatible. but numbers seem to match, the old ram - 512mb 2Rx16 PC2 - 5300S - 555 - 12 -A2 and the new ram everything is the same except for the last number it is A3. is that so very important?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 04:56:54 AM »
        http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=A6M&Cat=RAM
        It should have worked.  I assume you tried the single RAM in both slots?
        Shutting down after 2-5 minutes usually indicates overheating.  I think it's just a bad RAM connection.
        Did you have the RAM module fully seated in it's slot?
        Reseat them both in the slots a few times which will wipe the contacts clean.

rejnis

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 05:35:32 AM »
          tried in both slots. i even took out the old ram and put new ram in its place and when it's alone it works, but when i placed old ram in new slot it shuts down. it can't be overheating, laptop is clean and when there is one ram inserted it doesnt shut down. i even put new ram to one slot and then the other slot and it is working perfectly but when i put both of them it shuts down. maybe motherboard isn't somehow accepting, don't know. i'm glad i only paid 2$ for ram...

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 06:31:32 AM »
          ... i'm glad i only paid 2$ for ram...
          There's your answer.  Whoever sold it to you probably had the same problem.  Or the labels have been swapped & you don't have what you think you have.
          It could also be the RAM is attempting to function as dual-channel, but since the modules are not identical, it fails.  The failing after 2-5 minutes is very strange unless the RAM is overheating.