Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MS DOS 7 download?  (Read 55104 times)

TheShadow

Hopeful

• Retiree in Florida
    • Yes
    • The Doctor
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: MS DOS 7 download?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 07:58:38 PM »
You realize, that argument is totally BS.....right?
So if I share a copy with a friend it's piracy, in your mind, but If I sell it via Ebay it's OK????
That's totally incredulous!

Do you even realize how stupid that sounds to the real world?

You can call it whatever you want, but I call it doing a favor for a friend. 

Apparently, everything is piracy or just plain WRONG, unless it puts money in your pocket.  Right?

Just try to buy MS dos from Microsoft and see how far that gets you.  Rots O Ruck!

This thread has gone from stupid to just plain incredible.

I'm outta hear!

8)

Experience is truly the best teacher.
Backup! Backup! Backup!  Ghost Rocks!

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 08:28:56 PM »
Copyright Law is the real world.
Please let me close this thread. Here is something you might like.

CopyLeft

TheShadow

Hopeful

• Retiree in Florida
    • Yes
    • The Doctor
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 08:36:17 PM »
Answer my question, if you can......

So if I share a copy with a friend it's piracy, in your mind, but If I sell it via Ebay it's OK????

You're getting more ridiculous by the minute and the people wanting or needing a copy of DOS are still in the dark.

So if you can, please tell them how to buy a copy from your obvious employer, Microsoft.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 08:43:35 PM »
So if you can, please tell them how to buy a copy from your obvious employer, Microsoft.
Wish I had been employed by them.  In that case I would be writing this on a beach in the Caribbean instead of a small house in a little know town in California.

Any Microsoft products sold on eBay have to meet strict requirements set by  Microsoft. The have to be original and complete. And the do enforce it. I know.

TheShadow

Hopeful

• Retiree in Florida
    • Yes
    • The Doctor
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 09:01:25 PM »
With all due respect, and I do respect your right to your opinion, I just don't share it.  OK?
Scream, yell, stomp your feet and whatever, and I still won't agree with you.
NO.....I'm not selling DOS at any price, so don't get your panties in a wad.

If MS refuses to sell you an out of date product, which they don't even support, or sell, then you or I have a right to acquire it anywhere they/we like.

Let those Bas****s  prosecute me if they like, for my opinion.  I could well use the free room and board, free cloths, free medical care, free TV  and even free burial.  It's a win - win proposition. 

I've already set down with an FBI investigator and had a nice friendly chat about software piracy.  They won't even investigate a single person sharing a program with a friend.  Period.  End of case.

What they ARE interested in, is a person or group, packaging and selling copies of current software, like games, and selling them as if they are originals in original looking packaging.  That really gets them going.
I really enjoyed my little chat with the FBI agent.....it was very illuminating. ;D

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 09:20:27 PM »
Why people steal software and how they justify doing so is based on their personal opinions regarding stealing and theft. What constitutes stealing? Sticking a gun in someone's side is undeniably stealing. Are "White collar" crimes, like embezzlement and fraud, stealing? Is cheating on your income tax, or padding your expense account an criminal offense? Is it stealing to 'borrow' a pen from work to use with non-company business? Is making personal phone calls on company time, taking an extra hour at lunch, spending work time daydreaming, or otherwise putting in less than a full days work stealing from your employer? Most people consider these things nothing more than normal and in general acceptable behaviour (within limits, obviously a person who constantly takes long lunches or sits around doing nothing is going to raise eyebrows from the higher-ups). Even though the law distinguishes between petty theft and grand larceny, what constitutes "stealing" for most of us is a matter of personal opinion.

You realize, that argument is totally BS.....right?
Well you've yet to properly counter it.
Yes. Of course it's piracy.

Yes, I've spent some time there. You should give it a shot some day.

You can call it whatever you want, but I call it doing a favor for a friend. 

Apparently, everything is piracy or just plain WRONG, unless it puts money in your pocket.  Right?
Three things: I never said piracy was wrong. The fact is that making copies of copyright software is piracy. It's also against the law in all countries that are signatories to the Berne Convention. Whether it is morally wrong is another question altogether and fits in with the above regarding subjective viewpoints.
Second, if you don't want to pay for software, there are plenty of free alternatives.

Third: it's odd that you make the argument "unless it puts money in your pocket". First, I don't work for Microsoft, so it wouldn't put money in my pocket anyway. This has nothing to do with money and everything to do with what is and is not illegal, and therefore safe to endorse on the forum. And if it had to do with money, it would have to be your own refusal to part with it to get a piece of software, while making ad hoc justifications based on it being old, or some other nonsense.

Just try to buy MS dos from Microsoft and see how far that gets you.  Rots O Ruck!
asserting your original claim without addressing the argument I put against it is meaningless. As I said, there are alternative channels to get it. Most people don't buy their software directly from the company in question anyway, and sometimes it's not possible from the get-go, instead relying on a specific distribution platform run by another company.

People who don't write software are especially quick to dismiss software as intangible and that copying commercial software products is a victimless crime. However the same argument could be put forward for "borrowing" a neighbors cable using a Y splitter. Most importantly, for software, there actually is a monetary loss involved in piracy. Not really from "lost revenue" which is difficult to calculate anyway, but more so from providing support for pirated copies of the software, which often comprises an alarming percentage of fielded calls.

It's sort of a example of the Free Rider problem. This is a growing trend, and has been growing over time both as Computers and digital information permeate more of our lives and people catch on to the fact that they can get away with obtaining something without contributing; over time more and more people go from being contributors(buying software) to "free riders" (who pirate it or get friends to copy it). This is normal human behaviour because contributing incurs costs of various kinds, and consumers inherently try to minimize their costs if at all possible.  For older software, the heavy cost is usually in time, just finding how to buy it proper can be difficult, and some people can't be bothered with the intellectual burden of such a task when they could either make a duplicate of one of their own disks or download a copy for free off the internet.

The free rider problem is not a static issue. It usually grows over time as people catch on to the fact that they can get away with obtaining something without contributing, and hence more and more people go from being contributors to free riders. This is normal human behaviour because contributing incurs costs of various kinds, and consumers inherently try to minimize their costs if at all possible.

Of course, that only applies when the software in question is being actively sold. What about abandonware? Where does that fit in?

Well, as I noted, you can buy it; and you can often get it for free- in boxes- from businesses that have been around long enough and happen to have old stock. However there is a distinct difference from purchasing a used copy of MS-DOS on ebay and copying your friends floppies; the former deprives the seller of the product and gives it to the buyer in exchange for a price. the latter- whether you call it "doing a favour for a friend" or not (would you use that same argument as the driver of a getaway van?) is still software piracy. It's a lot easier for people to find moral footing with it, but that doesn't change what it is, nor how it is regarded by the law and therefore by forum rules. Personally, I have no moral qualm with the very thing you mentioned, such as making a copy of the DOS install disks for a friend, for many of the same reasons you mention; the time-investment of getting a copy "properly" would often far exceed what I would be willing to pay (time wise and money-wise). However, I also don't fool myself into thinking it's legally above board or that it isn't piracy, because it is. More often I've been suggesting freeDOS, not because it's free and legally in the clear to endorse in settings such as this forum but also because it's functionality in many respects far surpasses what any standalone copy of MS-DOS can do.

I made no implications about the morality of piracy, or how I feel about it. I've only stated a few facts. To reiterate:

1. As per the Berne convention, making copies of copyright software is copyright infringement and therefore a criminal offense in all signatory countries, with varying ancillary rules depending on the country.
2. Piracy is the act of making copies of copyright software.
3. Therefore, making copies of copyright software- it doesn't matter what the purpose is, whether it's a torrent or you're using a DISKCOPY to create copies of the DOS 6 setup disks- is illegal. It doesn't matter how you feel about it- or how I feel about it (which I've not mentioned, so your suppositions thereof are nothing more than wild speculation) It's illegal and therefore it is against the forum rules to endorse it.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 09:23:41 PM »
I've already set down with an FBI investigator and had a nice friendly chat about software piracy.  They won't even investigate a single person sharing a program with a friend.  Period.  End of case.
That's an interesting moral compass. If you can get away with it, it must be morally good.

TheShadow

Hopeful

• Retiree in Florida
    • Yes
    • The Doctor
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 09:29:48 PM »
Point one..... I wasn't talking to you.
Speak when you're spoken to.
And your opinion means less to me than last weeks weather report.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 10:27:55 PM »
An interesting debate strategy. Rather than actually take part in what could become a fruitful debate, instead just tell them to shut up. Speak when spoken to?  Are you serious? I'll speak to and respond to whoever I please and in whatever manner I choose, and if you don't like it, then you should have sent it as Private Message to the party you were "speaking to". The addition of "I don't care what you think" is an interesting one as well, because it basically attempts to build yourself a reassuring litany in which you can assert your own viewpoint as correct simply by virtue of discarding conflicting viewpoints.

Which makes it even more interesting, because the very thing I am stating is that whether copying a floppy, or CD or other media is, or is not, piracy is not a question of viewpoint- it's a fact. I showed this clearly through logical discourse. Whether piracy itself is bad, moral, etc is another question altogether, but it IS illegal and therefore endorsing it on this forum goes against the rules as I understand them. Your 'counterclaim' is basically 'you're stupid and I hate you', which says a lot more than I ever could.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 10:30:52 PM »
Were you talking to me?
For all you know Geek-9pm and BC_Programmer might be the same person. We often disagree. But sometimes we walk in step. Now this is one of those times where I am in step with BC_Programmer. Every thing he said might have come from me. But it didn't. But you don't really know that.

As he said, selling an overstock on eBay is a legal practice and contributes to the economic system. Putting copyright materiel of dons load on the internet without consent does not contribute to the advancement of computer since nor advances commercial development of better products.
As BC_Programmer said, letting a friend use old software has little impact on the overall morel issue. But we were never talking about letting a friend use a copy for a private project. The issue here is was wide speed downloading of copyright material.
I started this thread because there is a site run by an individual who gofers a version of MS-DOS  that he modified to nun off of a USB flash. As I stated, for the legal reasons of weightiness, not petty triviality,  I will not post anymore links to that site. Even though I sure like the idea. But that individual is moving his web site hit count up by using somebody's work. He can, indirectly, make a lot of money that way. A lot of money. I won't even guess, but a lot more that several  legal MS-DOS packages. Bug bucks. Bread. Greed. Avarice. Cupidity.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 11:57:22 PM »
Wow, what a stupid set of posts by The Shadow, that contributed nothing useful to the thread, and made him look very bad. he can't spell, either.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 02:24:05 PM »
I started this thread because there is a site run by an individual who gofers a version of MS-DOS  that he modified to nun off of a USB flash. As I stated, for the legal reasons of weightiness, not petty triviality,  I will not post anymore links to that site. Even though I sure like the idea. But that individual is moving his web site hit count up by using somebody's work. He can, indirectly, make a lot of money that way. A lot of money. I won't even guess, but a lot more that several  legal MS-DOS packages. Bug bucks. Bread. Greed. Avarice. Cupidity.

If you are interested in booting to a DOS environment with a Flash Drive, I've found FreeDOS to be quite good. I've tried the ones you note, that call themselves "DOS 7.1 standalone" and are, according to the setup program "GNU software" (yeah, right...). They don't work even as well as FreeDOS seems to, in my experience. They seem to pack in a lot of software that they refer to as "GPL'd" when it isn't; Norton Disk tools, for example, aren't GNU software; neither are most of the other things included. The DOS 7 and higher "standalone" versions found on the net are essentially collections of pirated and unofficial software.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, 03:13:07 PM »
Good. FreeDOS and its children are all GPL.
From now on I will tell anyone  to use FreeDOS, which has active volunteer support and no legal issues.   :)

0ffer

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2012, 04:40:00 AM »
No comment
The DOS 7 and higher "standalone" versions found on the net are essentially collections of pirated and unofficial software.
The following files are located in the MSDOS7 folder:
Code: [Select]
   ANSI     SYS         9,719  05-11-98  8:01p ANSI.SYS
   ATTRIB   EXE        15,252  05-11-98  8:01p ATTRIB.EXE
   CHKDSK   EXE        28,096  05-11-98  8:01p CHKDSK.EXE
   CHOICE   COM         5,239  05-11-98  8:01p CHOICE.COM
   COMMAND  COM        93,880  05-11-98  8:01p COMMAND.COM
   COUNTRY  SYS        30,742  05-11-98  8:01p COUNTRY.SYS
   DEBUG    EXE        20,554  05-11-98  8:01p DEBUG.EXE
   DEFRAG   EX~       253,952  05-11-98  8:01p DEFRAG.EX~
   DELTREE  EXE        19,083  05-11-98  8:01p DELTREE.EXE
   DISKCOPY COM        21,975  05-11-98  8:01p DISKCOPY.COM
   DISPLAY  SYS        17,175  05-11-98  8:01p DISPLAY.SYS
   DOSKEY   COM        15,495  05-11-98  8:01p DOSKEY.COM
   EDIT     COM        69,902  05-11-98  8:01p EDIT.COM
   EDIT     HLP        10,790  05-11-98  8:01p EDIT.HLP
   EGA      CPI        58,870  05-11-98  8:01p EGA.CPI
   EMM386   EXE       125,495  05-11-98  8:01p EMM386.EXE
   EXTRACT  EXE        93,242  05-11-98  8:01p EXTRACT.EXE
   FC       EXE        20,574  05-11-98  8:01p FC.EXE
   FDISK    EXE        63,900  05-11-98  8:01p FDISK.EXE
   FIND     EXE         6,658  05-11-98  8:01p FIND.EXE
   FORMAT   COM        49,575  05-11-98  8:01p FORMAT.COM
   HIMEM    SYS        33,191  05-11-98  8:01p HIMEM.SYS
   IFSHLP   SYS         3,708  05-11-98  8:01p IFSHLP.SYS
   KEYB     COM        19,927  05-11-98  8:01p KEYB.COM
   KEYBOARD SYS        34,566  05-11-98  8:01p KEYBOARD.SYS
   KEYBRD2  SYS        31,942  05-11-98  8:01p KEYBRD2.SYS
   LABEL    EXE         9,324  05-11-98  8:01p LABEL.EXE
   MEM      EXE        32,146  05-11-98  8:01p MEM.EXE
   MODE     COM        29,271  05-11-98  8:01p MODE.COM
   MORE     COM        10,471  05-11-98  8:01p MORE.COM
   MOVE     EXE        27,299  05-11-98  8:01p MOVE.EXE
   MSCDEX   EXE        25,473  05-11-98  8:01p MSCDEX.EXE
   NLSFUNC  EXE         6,940  05-11-98  8:01p NLSFUNC.EXE
   SCANDISK EXE       143,818  05-11-98  8:01p SCANDISK.EXE
   SCANDISK INI         7,329  05-11-98  8:01p SCANDISK.INI
   SMARTDRV EXE        45,379  05-11-98  8:01p SMARTDRV.EXE
   SORT     EXE        25,882  05-11-98  8:01p SORT.EXE
   START    EXE        28,672  05-11-98  8:01p START.EXE
   SUBST    EXE        17,904  05-11-98  8:01p SUBST.EXE
   SYS      COM        18,967  05-11-98  8:01p SYS.COM
   XCOPY    EXE         3,878  05-11-98  8:01p XCOPY.EXE
   XCOPY32  MOD        41,472  05-11-98  8:01p XCOPY32.MOD
   TEMP           <DIR>        08-15-98  5:53p TEMP
   SCANDISK EX~       143,818  05-11-98  1:01p SCANDISK.EX~
   DBLSPACE BAT           397  05-11-98  8:01p DBLSPACE.BAT
   DEFRAG   BAT           333  05-11-98  8:01p DEFRAG.BAT
   DRVSPACE BAT           323  05-11-98  8:01p DRVSPACE.BAT
   SCANDISK BAT           149  05-11-98  8:01p SCANDISK.BAT
Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107
Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2012, 10:07:05 AM »
Offer's post proves nothing.