Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB mouse goes off and on randomly  (Read 8696 times)

MrBiggz

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
USB mouse goes off and on randomly
« on: April 02, 2012, 10:16:39 PM »
Greetings!

About a month, month and a half ago I started experiencing my Logitech G5 mouse just turn off and then after a random amount of time turn back on. Doesn't not make for a good scenario when gaming especially in clutch moments.

The mouse is five years old and the fabric around the cord has frayed away and some of the plastic sheathing has stripped away as well. I'm figuring the the cord had a short in it. So I order a new mouse.

My new mouse a Cyborg R.A.T. 5. I must have gamed with the mouse for about a week, week and a half and then it started exhibiting similar behavior. It would turn off and not turn back on. I'd have to unplug the USB plug and then wait a few seconds and plug it back in. Some times it would work, sometimes it would not.

I've done the following:

* Full virus scan with nothing found
    * Moved the mouse (both of them) to the other three ports on the back of the PC and even the front two ports. Same behavior.
    * 100% up to date drivers and software
    * Searched fruitlessly for a solution
    * Looked at the Event Logs which shows no hardware, application or security errors or warnings
    * I have a dual boot on this PC with a Linux side.  The mouse works flawlessly on that side.  I've used both mice for hours on the linux side and they never turned off.

Any of the other devices plugged in act fine! And those devices would be a web cam (not in use), printer (not in use) and my keyboard.

I've attached my msinfo32 file in a zip file.

I'm super grateful for any help! Cause this is really un-nerving! I'm down to do all the diagnosing that is necessary to fix this!!

Thanks for any and all help!

[year+ old attachment deleted by admin]

2x3i5x

Expert
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: USB mouse goes off and on randomly
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 01:03:32 AM »
just wondering ... does your mouse behave in safe mode ?

also, a regular old ps/2 mouse  works fine, if you are able to try one of those?

MrBiggz

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 05:44:29 AM »
just wondering ... does your mouse behave in safe mode ?

also, a regular old ps/2 mouse  works fine, if you are able to try one of those?

I don't believe my MOBO has any ps/2 ports and I don't have a ps/2 mouse.

Safe mode: I believe it have the same behavior in safe mode if I can remember right.  It's hard to say cause I really don't head off into safe mode cause there's nothing useful to do in it other then get out of a boot that's gone wrong!

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 05:53:34 AM »

Safe mode: I believe it have the same behavior in safe mode if I can remember right.  It's hard to say cause I really don't head off into safe mode cause there's nothing useful to do in it other then get out of a boot that's gone wrong!
Perhaps you can try now.

MrBiggz

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 08:40:39 AM »
Perhaps you can try now.

Did that .. same thing *sigh*

I also did a selective start up with only MS services running.  After a while the mouse disabled and re-enabled itself.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 08:56:01 AM »
Sounds like a problem with the motherboard. You can try a pci card if you like (http://www.google.com/search?hl=&q=usb+pci+card&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS369US309&ie=UTF-8)

MrBiggz

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 10:57:07 PM »
Sounds like a problem with the motherboard. You can try a pci card if you like (http://www.google.com/search?hl=&q=usb+pci+card&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS369US309&ie=UTF-8)

That's what I was thinking too .. but .. wouldn't my keyboard act flaky too and not just the mouse?  Also, why would the mouse behave normally over on my linux partion?  Also my mobo isn't posting back any bad codes which you would think it'd go insane with a USB problem.

I could get a PCI card they're fairly cheap.  This just doesn't make sense at all!

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 01:04:28 AM »
Uninstalling and reinstalling the driver and USB root hub is another option. Removing other external USB devices and drivers to check on difference. While the last choice would sometimes end up a repair install just to get certain devices working flawlessly.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 05:51:02 AM »
That's what I was thinking too .. but .. wouldn't my keyboard act flaky too and not just the mouse?  Also, why would the mouse behave normally over on my linux partion?  Also my mobo isn't posting back any bad codes which you would think it'd go insane with a USB problem.

I could get a PCI card they're fairly cheap.  This just doesn't make sense at all!
No, I agree. Now that I reread the thread it may very well not be a hardware issue. Look in device manager - are there any yellow or red symbols?

MrBiggz

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 07:49:53 AM »
There is one.  It's been there for along time.  It was for power management which I don't think this mother board ever had a driver for.  At least I never saw one.  And it's probably a pain to find one now!  Since a-bit went under or got bought out by some other company that I don't even know!

Cause whatever it is the location it gives is on the PCI bus.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 07:53:43 AM »
See if you can find the chipset / motherboard driver and if so, download and install it.

MrBiggz

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    • Yes
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 10:36:30 PM »

I was digging more into this today and I found that this IS happening on my linux partition.  It's just not as noticable cause the overhead on a linux OS is so much longer so the mouse just blinks out for a second or two and comes back.  Where as in Windows it might be 10+ seconds before it enables again.

Looks like I'm going to try this. 

My board has the following expansion slots:
PCI Express x16:     1 x PCI-E X16, 1 x PCI-E X16 (x4 bandwidth)
PCI Express x1:       1
PCI Slots:                 3

Full specs here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127030

I know one of the PCIe slots is taken by my video card.  I would imagine the best slot to put that in would be another PCIe slot for the shear speed of it.  I'm not going to use it to transfer any files, just to hook the mouse into it.  Talk about Jerry rigging!  I feel that a regular PCI card would just create some sort of bottle neck.

But correct me if I'm wrong this will function on the PCI bus but look like a USB device and behave like a USB device. Correct??

Inevitably I'm going to have to replace this mobo! =(((( It's only a little over four years old!  I had a P4 that I used as a test file server which was left on 24/7 and some really extreme temps too and he never failed.  Gave it to my step-daughter and she used it until she got sick of how slow XP ran on it since it originally ran Win2K.  It's going to be a not so bad replacement.  I'm just going to find a mobo combo (either board and mem or board and processor), processor fan.  Everything else I'm keeping.  Oh .. and Win7.

I thank you guys/gals for all the help and I'll post back if this works for me.  I hope it does!!  *crossing fingers*

MrBiggz

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    • Yes
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 06:39:21 AM »
Nix the thread above!  I have solved the mystery!!!

I found the true nature of things once I got past the paranoid wife thinking I'm swiping parts off her PC.  And let this be a reminder to you people; just because your paranoid, doesn't mean their not out to get you!

She's got a plain Jane logitech optical mouse.  Hooked it up and NO, no, NO problems at all!

So here's what I had:
> Mouse #1 My Logitech G5: Short in the cord just coming out the mouse housing
> Alot of researching, trying this and that and asking on forums like this (which the help has been nothing less then great)
> Bought mouse #2 a Cyborg Gaming R.A.T. 5: Which against the odds was defective!!!    Leading me to a false positive that my mobo was bad

So what were the odds that the replacement mouse was bad too???   I should have won the Mega Millions in stead I get a lemon mouse!  UGHHHHH!!!

Trafalgar

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 10:25:33 AM »
    Nix the thread above!  I have solved the mystery!!!

I found the true nature of things once I got past the paranoid wife thinking I'm swiping parts off her PC.  And let this be a reminder to you people; just because your paranoid, doesn't mean their not out to get you!

She's got a plain Jane logitech optical mouse.  Hooked it up and NO, no, NO problems at all!

So here's what I had:
    > Mouse #1 My Logitech G5: Short in the cord just coming out the mouse housing
    > Alot of researching, trying this and that and asking on forums like this (which the help has been nothing less then great)
    > Bought mouse #2 a Cyborg Gaming R.A.T. 5: Which against the odds was defective!!!    Leading me to a false positive that my mobo was bad

So what were the odds that the replacement mouse was bad too???   I should have won the Mega Millions in stead I get a lemon mouse!  UGHHHHH!!!

Your wife wins dude  ;D

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 11:48:33 AM »
    never underestimate your wife  ;D