Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Automatic format and reinstallation  (Read 2965 times)

Gray1989

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Automatic format and reinstallation
« on: April 06, 2012, 01:12:11 AM »
I am working on creating software to work with Windows PE in order to automate the processes that somebody would normally have to do when formatting a drive and reinstalling Windows. I am starting this project to be compatible with both Windows 7 and 8, but it is expected to also be compatible with Vista.

I programmed an algorithm with the help of somebody else a while back that converts/decodes the Product Key associated with the current running installation of Windows from the "DigitalProductId" registry value inside the Windows Registry. I was just looking around at the registry and filesystem and realized that drivers could be backed up actually quite easily.

First, open the registry. Enumerate through "HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Enum" and subkeys; Any value that exists as "HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Enum\**\**\Service" Gets referenced through "HKLM\System\ControlSet001\services\[Service Value]", then that key's values "DriverPackageId" and "Displayname" can be used in the program that wants to backup the driver files. The correct driver files would be in the location as follows: "%windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\[DriverPackageId]". Activation files are also easy to backup and restore.

Utilizing WinPE and this method correctly, one should be able to create a disc to automatically format/reinstall windows on a computer with all of the product key, drivers, activation already taken care of. Can any other experts on this subject offer any insight on this?
If you are reading this post, I am no longer going to be active at this website. I have found the conflict of interest regarding members/moderators here to be too much for me to want to continue. I only came here to help and yet some people feel that questioning my skills and/or motives is a good way to spend time, while protecting the motives of those who choose to spend their time doing so. I am staying away from forums for a while. Back to programming.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Automatic format and reinstallation
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 05:12:47 PM »
Twp things of concern.
1. It has already been done and is licensed by Microsoft.
2. If thins is a way to evade the conditions n of  the EULA, the forum will not help you.  :)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 11:15:16 PM »
Not sure what you want to accomplish here...no matter what OS.
If you are looking to do unattended installs there are some very good examples of it out there...
Let us know.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Gray1989

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 01:11:46 AM »
I have no intentions on violating any EULA, if i was i wouldn't go to a public forum for help.

All i want is possibly more information to make the driver backup method more complete. i don't even expect an answer back with any information because all of it is really technical. but what i really want is to collaborate with people with any useable knowledge with windows pe or backing up drivers. also i am willing to share source code with those interested.
If you are reading this post, I am no longer going to be active at this website. I have found the conflict of interest regarding members/moderators here to be too much for me to want to continue. I only came here to help and yet some people feel that questioning my skills and/or motives is a good way to spend time, while protecting the motives of those who choose to spend their time doing so. I am staying away from forums for a while. Back to programming.

Gray1989

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 01:16:42 AM »
Also, not sure but i think my ip may be blocked i had to post from my cell