Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: is this ok? my sys gives me 8gb of virtual memory when i already got 8gb of ram  (Read 15173 times)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
The topic has the words 'virtual memory'.
And in his post he names the hibernation file and the page file.
As to the page-file, removing nit is seldom useful.

The guys are Lifehacker are often right.
Understanding the Windows Pagefile and Why You Shouldn't Disable It
As a tech writer, I regularly cringe at all the bad tweaking advice out there, and disabling the system pagefile is often a source of contention among geeks. Let's examine some of the pagefile myths and debunk them once and for all.

Gray1989

Rookie

• Yes
  • Experience: Guru
I don't have time for the amount of things i could say. Whether my specific terminology may be slightly off I still know what i am talking about, and my point has not been affected. My experience lies in all around computing, admittedly mostly with windows software. I taught myself how to program. I can walk into a job as a network admin tomorrow having never worked the job and still be confident in my abilities. I corrected major flaws in what you said and all you can seem to focus on is the way i use the term virtual memory. That is more useless than the topic of this thread. I have the skills and means to create very useful and very profitable applications from scratch. I have done so already. I have been programming since i was 12. Computers is what i do. Building, fixing, programming, web design, all the way to graphic design. When it has to do with computers, i know my stuff. I don't have to prove my skills here. I could put my time to better use actually using my skills, which, at least programming-wise, seem to be superior to yours. Don't take it personally though, i do try. honest :)
If you are reading this post, I am no longer going to be active at this website. I have found the conflict of interest regarding members/moderators here to be too much for me to want to continue. I only came here to help and yet some people feel that questioning my skills and/or motives is a good way to spend time, while protecting the motives of those who choose to spend their time doing so. I am staying away from forums for a while. Back to programming.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
The topic has the words 'virtual memory'.
Yep. That's erroneous; the only way to have 8GB of Virtual Memory when you have 8GB of RAM is if the pagefile is already disabled... presumably they are talking about 8GB of RAM as well as an 8GB pagefile, and for some reason they feel that is a problem, or they are worried that it is. (It's not)

The guys are Lifehacker are often right.
But were they booting DOS from floppies when they were 10? That's the metric with which we ought to judge their capabilities and understanding of technology.

Anyway, the content there explains why one might see a performance gain from fiddling about with the pagefile (outside moving it to a faster drive which will indisputable make things a bit better).

Of course they refer to the pagefile as "virtual Memory" even though Virtual Memory is basically the sum of all the available "memories" (RAM+Pagefile, usually). The use of "Virtual Memory" to refer only to the swap space dates back to early versions of Mac OS as well as to some extent windows NT 3.x; the former referred to it's pagefile as "Virtual Memory"; the latter did as well. In fact, that latter point is the reason why the groupbox surrounding the page file options still has the title "Virtual Memory", since it used to be a button to the side that opened a dialog much like what the "Change..." button in the "Virtual Memory" groupbox has now. This contributes heavily to confusion over what Virtual Memory is- citation being the page that grey1989 cited to debunk what I said, which says that "virtual memory is everything that isn't physical memory" which is nonsense, at least now it is.

I do sort of wonder why the pagefile is called Virtual Memory on windows NT; maybe it was to prevent confusion, since many other systems referred to their swap space as "Virtual Memory", including a few DOS DPMI applications. Another interesting note is that NT 3.1 doesn't have a "System Managed" option, so much of the configuration within is necessary to change it from defaults when you install more memory, and so forth. On the other hand, there are a few minor issues with caption names and so forth; maybe the additional work of changing it and translating it to a bajillion languages has prevented them from being "fixed". Sort of like how Notepad can't handle files with a Byte-Order Mark.

Anyway, the article is mostly sourced- as they mention- from a Mark Russinovich article on the subject. Excellent postings there. Reminds me I meant to read Zero-Day at some point.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Gray1989

Rookie

• Yes
But were they booting DOS from floppies when they were 10? That's the metric with which we ought to judge their capabilities and understanding of technology.

You jealous, bro?

Yeah I was fixing computers with boot floppies when I was 9 or 10. Here's an update on that. By the time I was in grade 7 I was fixing computers using the same methods HiJackThis uses, completely manually and mostly using regedit. I was creating my own batch files since '97, until I learned how to use JScript when I was 12. Since then I have been learning Server-Side scripting languages such as PHP, more JScript, some C++, and to add to all of that, I know my way around the Windows Management Instrumentation. I have set up multiple servers, got my account deleted off of my school's network for gaining access to over half the school's accounts, which goes to say that I have even dabbled with, and have had success with hacking. I even went as far as to create my own encryption algorithm. But I guess all of my knowledge on this stuff is completely useless when it comes to pagefiles, because my underlying dedication to researching computer-related information, the reason I was able to do the things I was doing at that age, apparently isn't good enough to be applied to anything but my previous accomplishments.
If you are reading this post, I am no longer going to be active at this website. I have found the conflict of interest regarding members/moderators here to be too much for me to want to continue. I only came here to help and yet some people feel that questioning my skills and/or motives is a good way to spend time, while protecting the motives of those who choose to spend their time doing so. I am staying away from forums for a while. Back to programming.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
I don't have time for the amount of things i could say.
And yet here you are.

Whether my specific terminology may be slightly off I still know what i am talking about
Onus of proof is on the claimant.
ght;
and my point has not been affected.
It's been demolished, swept in the trash and taken to the dump.

My experience lies in all around computing, admittedly mostly with windows software. I taught myself how to program. I can walk into a job as a network admin tomorrow having never worked the job and still be confident in my abilities.
Err... good for you? Are you saying this for your own benefit? Am I supposed to be enraged, or something? If you want I can pretend that I think you are better than me and record myself sobbing quietly so you can sleep, if that's necessary.

I corrected major flaws in what you said and all you can seem to focus on is the way i use the term virtual memory.
Actually, I also conceded on those flaws. You must have missed that with all the rage flowing through you at seeing I had the utter audacity to question you about anything. As I said, it was all grabbed from my memory, sometimes it get's mixed up with other stuff, possibly the same thing that had you referring to the pagefile as Virtual Memory, though at least in that case a lot of (inaccurate) literature does that too.

Of Course I was wrong about programs being able to discover the size of the page file, but what I meant, was as part of the Memory Management API; Unlike Mac OS (Classic) for example, whether a Pagefile is in use or not is not a fundamental piece of information directly accessible via the Memory management functions; one needs to import other libs and call a mess of other functions (or inspect the Performance key) to get at that data.

That is more useless than the topic of this thread.
Actually, it's quite relevant; my problem isn't that you made that teensy mistake, since I did accidentally mix up Virtual Address Space with Virtual Memory for some parts of my original post. it was that- even after being told the proper term, you continued to use it, and smash it's definition together with both the pagefile as well as Virtual Address Space. I now believe that you either did this on purpose, or are a moron. Most likely the former.

I have the skills and means to create very useful and very profitable applications from scratch.
Why are you trying so hard to convince... somebody... of this? You cite overbearing confidence but your side-bets give away your hand.

I have done so already.
Yeah, I used to have those dreams too. Then one day it was real. Although I must say the reality is not quite as fantastic as the dreams let on. On the bright side, at least now my computer screen doesn't try to eat me if my code compiles with errors. It's a mixed bag.

I have been programming since i was 12.
K.

Computers is what i do.
Grammar are not. Sorry had to get that in there.

Building, fixing, programming, web design, all the way to graphic design. When it has to do with computers, i know my stuff.
OK. This would be the place where you expect me to care and say "prove it"- which would be a fair response. However, I don't really care. You are already trying pretty *censored* hard to convince somebody- possibly yourself of this, I wouldn't want to burden you with actually having to demonstrate anything. I imagine you are trying to goad me into doing the same thing and listing off a bunch of stuff I'm good at, but I won't, because I don't see the point.

I don't have to prove my skills here.
You're the one who started to ramble about skills and formatting floppies and whatnot. And your diatribes about booting DOS floppies when you were 9-10 years old seem a lot like you are trying to prove... something.

I could put my time to better use actually using my skills
And yet here you are.

at least programming-wise, seem to be superior to yours.
basing a conclusion on incomplete data. An interesting approach.

EDIT: HAHA! And he's STILL posting his "histories"! COMEDY GOLD!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
From the mouth of the horse:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-the-size-of-virtual-memory
Change the size of virtual memory

If you receive warnings that your virtual memory is low, you'll need to increase the minimum size of your paging file. Windows sets the initial minimum size of the paging file at the amount of random access memory (RAM) installed on your computer plus 300 megabytes (MB), and the maximum size at 3 times the amount of RAM installed on your computer. If you see warnings at these recommended levels, then increase the minimum and maximum sizes.
Increases in size usually don't require a restart, but if you decrease the size, you'll need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect. We recommend that you don't disable or delete the paging file.

Gray1989

Rookie

• Yes
@BC Programmer, you are obviously pissed and have way too much free time on your hands. I on the other hand keep my posts short because I do in fact have better things to do with my time. Maybe a little OCD is preventing me from doing those things. Anyways, like i said I have better things to do. The fact that you attempt to make fun of my listed accomplishments only reminds me of them again and makes me more satisfied with the fact I was able to accomplish them. BTW I obviously know proper grammar and your pitiful attempts at aggravating me are only making me realize how much you yourself angered by this whole thing (maybe being corrected by somebody younger than yourself?) and it really kind of makes me feel sorry for you. Please, lighten up and try to have a better day :)

Allan

• Mastermind
I on the other hand keep my posts short because I do in fact have better things to do with my time.
Perhaps you could do them.. Thank you.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
you are obviously pissed
Best description of how I view this thread is "amusing" actually. Yesterday I thought it was hilarious, but when you hear the same joke repeat itself numerous times, it tends to get old.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
BC_P, this thread has now passed from  "Oversize page-file"
- to "Enlarged Prostrate".   ::)

Allan

• Mastermind