Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7 shutting down  (Read 7829 times)

02bin3

Windows 7 shutting down
« on: April 22, 2012, 03:38:31 PM »
These problems just started 2 days ago.  Generally I leave my computer running all day as I am working with it off and on most of the day.  However, 2 days ago I left it running and went back about 1/2 hour later and the screens (2 monitors) were black.  I thought it had gone to Sleep, but it wouldn't respond to any keys being pushed or to the mouse being jiggled. It is set to NOT Go to Sleep.  When I started it up  it wanted to know if I wanted to start Windows normally.  Once it started I noticed that there was a message for me in the lower bar telling me that my Backup didn't save and to try it again.  So, I did, multiple times and it wouldn't save.  I did a System Restore to 2 days before the problems started and that didn't help either.  About this time I started getting messages that Adobe Flash Player crashed and I updated that program, then it tells me that it needs missing plug-ins and I tried getting those to load and nothing happened.  I did another install of Flash Player and that seems to be OK now.   As long as I am working at the computer, it doesn't shut down and I'm not sure as to exactly how many minutes it takes of inactivity before it crashes as I'm not in the room when it happens.  I am running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, and the Asus computer is about 2.5 years old.  Thanks you

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
    • Programming Blog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Windows 7 shutting down
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 03:50:12 PM »
Once it started I noticed that there was a message for me in the lower bar telling me that my Backup didn't save and to try it again.

What options do you have set for backup?
YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

02bin3

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 04:01:22 PM »
Frankly, I don't believe I've ever done anything with settings for Backup.  It is supposed to do it every Sunday at 7:00 PM and that is all I know about it.  Thanks for your answer.

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
    • Programming Blog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 04:24:55 PM »
Well, the reason I asked was because apparently on another forum there was someone who had two partitions and it was trying to backup both onto one partition, so I was wondering if that was the case with you.

The post was here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-backup-did-not-complete-successfully/d94dc23b-a997-4b1d-976f-beaa7faa04d2
YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

02bin3

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 06:11:12 AM »
I had quite forgotten that this computer has a partitioned HD as I've never saved anything to it.  Everything is on "C".  I went to "D" drive and it is larger than "C" and totally empty with the exception of one file:  msdia80.dll which takes up 883KB, however, when I view the Properties of "D" it says that it has a total of 409G, Used: 114MB & Free:  409G.  I am puzzled as to what is using 114MB, but doesn't show up on the drive when I open it.  I also have an external HD where I manually back up my .docx, .xlsx, files.  I might add that I wouldn't even know where to look to find "Backup" files on "C" drive nor would I recognize what they look like.  Thank you