Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Winows 7 Disk Imaging  (Read 11426 times)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Winows 7 Disk Imaging
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 10:33:20 AM »
I'm gonna go ahead and test it on my 64bit Win7 build...

I'll post back with results.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 04:11:09 PM »
Have you tried Macrium with Win7-64?  I've used it a number of times to restore images from WinXP.
Interested to see what you think of the Win7 backup.  My only Win7 machine is a laptop & have no easy way to test the image restore process.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 05:05:04 PM »
Have you tried Macrium with Win7-64?  I've used it a number of times to restore images from WinXP.
Interested to see what you think of the Win7 backup.  My only Win7 machine is a laptop & have no easy way to test the image restore process.

Macrium free edition seems limited, and why pay for something you have (in Windows 7) already? I don't see what difference it makes if the Windows 7 machine is a laptop; Whether the computer is portable or fixed you can still image to an external drive.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 07:31:10 PM »
Macrium free edition seems limited, and why pay for something you have (in Windows 7) already? I don't see what difference it makes if the Windows 7 machine is a laptop; Whether the computer is portable or fixed you can still image to an external drive.
Yes, but you better test the ability to boot the CD for a restore. Hard to verify on a laptop.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 01:40:18 AM »
Yes, but you better test the ability to boot the CD for a restore. Hard to verify on a laptop.

No harder than on a desktop, whether you are using an internal or external CD drive. In fact, I have installed the Windows 7 recovery CD on a bootable pen drive for greater flexibilty.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 05:19:41 AM »
He may mean he doesn't currently have an external drive to image to...

BTW I have not tested it on 64bit Windows...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2012, 07:18:00 AM »
Don't have a spare internal laptop drive.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2012, 07:35:25 AM »
Don't have a spare internal laptop drive.

Why do you think you need one? The normal way of imaging is to an external USB or FireWire drive.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2012, 10:41:22 AM »
You misunderstand.  I have no way of testing the image other than restoring to the existing laptop drive.  If it fails, I would have to rebuild the laptop drive from the Restore Partition or the Win7 DVD.  I have 2 USB drives for creating the images:  USB3.0-1TB; USB2.0-320GB

Salmon Trout

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2012, 12:25:49 PM »
You misunderstand.  I have no way of testing the image other than restoring to the existing laptop drive.  If it fails, I would have to rebuild the laptop drive from the Restore Partition or the Win7 DVD.  I have 2 USB drives for creating the images:  USB3.0-1TB; USB2.0-320GB

I see what you mean; I did my first restore test straight after a new install so I had nothing to lose.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2012, 01:16:40 PM »
I see what you mean; I did my first restore test straight after a new install so I had nothing to lose.
So doing a worst case verification of a restore method has some risk for a user with just a laptop and an external drive or network storage. In worst case even the recovery partition could be lost. The average user would be at a lose as to how to proceed in such a worst case scenario.

To test a restore method, a package of software and hardware,  with a laptop, one would purchase another internal drive of the same type  and close to the same size. Perform the test on the spare drive, if it goes SNAFU, go back to the original drive and send a nasty e-mail to then vendor of the backup package.

Yes, I have made the mistake when I got my laptop. I was unable to clone the drive correctly and lots the recovery partition. Maybe it  would be too much  to have backup software vender warn you that the software does not correctly clone the recovery partition.

So I rebuilt my system with a different version of XP from a OEM CD. But I no longer have a recovery partition and lave no idea of how to create it. But I do keep more than one backup on hard.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2012, 01:44:13 PM »
I was unable to clone the drive correctly and lots the recovery partition. Maybe it  would be too much  to have backup software vender warn you that the software does not correctly clone the recovery partition.

We're not talking about disk cloning here, but rather of using software in Windows to create an image file of the system partition, and of later restoring that partition where it belongs. Any such process carries dangers if not correctly carried out, but not doing any backup, or assuming that a restore will work when needed, have their dangers too. I think we are making too much of the dangers. I have used Ghost for around 10 years and Windows 7 imaging for 2, and I have never had a problem in all of that time. I must have done dozens of restores.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2012, 03:18:39 PM »
I have used Ghost for around 10 years and Windows 7 imaging for 2, and I have never had a problem in all of that time. I must have done dozens of restores.

You are an expert. I am an average person. I have used Ghost for as many years as years and have had several failures. Fortunately, I did not depend on those attempts for critical work. Most of the time. There were some times I became very, very disappointed. So I learned.

My pint is that you have not way of knowing a method is going to work until you use it. The first time you use it has an unacceptable risk level. Unless you have some alternative n resource that is remover for the process. Namely, another drive that has the original aterial and not connected to the laptop.

The real problem is education. The user is not given enough education about how computers do fail and fail very badly. The fact that the failure rate may be one in 10,000 is not consolation  when the failure was a fatal 100 % loss of data. Yet  Automobile makers get sued if one out of 10,000 has a fatal accident.

The computer manufacturers are providing restore partitions for the users. That is not enough.  There should be a way to resonate the OS withing dependency on the restore partition.  Those who are experts take care of this. The uninitiated are at the mercy of vendors  or makers who offer far too little support.

A bad backup/restore program can destroy almost anything on the hard drive, including partition table. Yes, I know is is not supposed to. I am talking about a program Thant has not been verified. You don't know what it can do. The computer makers are in a beater position to provide users with fool-proof methods.

Happily, Windows 7 has built-in features that make backup, restore and repair easier that before. Still, a new user needs to learn how to use them well. Unless one never uses the computer for serious work.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2012, 03:31:04 PM »
You are an expert. I am an average person.

I am not an expert, I am an average person. One thing I do, though, is try to read instructions very carefully before doing anything critical. I must say that certainly in a Windows 7 imaging situation, and also probably using other tools, there is a lot you can do to build confidence without actually risking anything, e.g.: make a backup image, make a recovery disk, test it to see that it boots and also that the image restore tool can find the image, in fact do everything to restore the image except the final "OK" click. The bottom line is that if you say "I won't test if I can restore from a backup because I am scared of screwing up or of it failing" then you are in a situation where your backup might be some use, or it might not. If that is acceptable, then OK. I'd rather bite the bullet and check every step. Before doing a backup + restore of a working installation I would separately backup everything critical - Outlook pst files, each users My Documents, all personal files, etc just in case. I do these things weekly anyway.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2012, 04:05:08 PM »
Salmon Trout, That was a good com back. Hope all read it.
Still. I am mot giving you another beer.  :)