Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: System Restore  (Read 12957 times)

02bin3

System Restore
« on: May 06, 2012, 04:00:19 PM »
This morning I started my computer and it got just so far in the Startup and stopped.  A window popped up that told me that my computer wouldn't start and that it was going to try to repair itself.  It couldn't repair itself and then asked if it could send information to Microsoft to see if that would help.  Still didn't help and a new window popped up that asked gave me several options:  Startup Repair, System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic or Command Prompt.  I choose the first option and that didn't help, so I opted for System Restore and picked a restore date of 5 days ago, prior to uninstalling Serif, a very large publishing program.  That was at 10:00AM.  It is now 6:00PM and it is still doing System Repair.  Does System Restore normally take this long, or should I be doing something else at this point?  I have an Asus desktop computer with 600GB HD, can't remember how much memory but I know it is more than sufficient for average use, Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit and the HD has about 66% Free Space.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: System Restore
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 04:11:23 PM »
...several options:  Startup Repair, System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic or Command Prompt.  I choose the first option and that didn't help, so I opted for System Restore and picked a restore date of 5 days ago, prior to uninstalling Serif, a very large publishing program.  That was at 10:00AM.  It is now 6:00PM and it is still doing System Repair.  ...
You chose System Restore & it is still doing System Repair?  Do you mean it is still doing System Restore after 8 hrs?  Something is wrong.  System Restore is a Windows program & shouldn't take more than an hour, probably a lot less.  System Image Recovery will take it back to the day you got the computer.  Computer makers use this instead of supplying Windows install DVD's.

02bin3

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 04:24:20 PM »
Thank you, I will try to do System Image Recovery and hopefully it will work.  I'd never done a System Restore before so I had no idea how long it would take to accomplish, but after all this time, I started wondering WHY it would take so long.

sarfaraz alam

• Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 01:10:21 AM »
    you should use system restore.

02bin3

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 07:48:15 AM »
    Thank you, I had to locate the 4 backup discs that I made 2.5 years ago, and after trying System Restore a couple of more times, I finally did the System Image Restore and...........it WORKED!  Now I have to wait until early tomorrow morning to update and install all the programs that came off the internet as my Hughesnet internet service only allows 250MB per day upload/download, unless I do it between 2:00-7:00AM and between those times you can download as much as you want.  Thanks again, you were a great help.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 08:10:11 AM »
    You might want to consider starting to use disc imaging software on a regular basis to avoid problems exactly like this.

02bin3

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 08:22:47 AM »
    Do you mean that I should make new Imaging discs every so often so that I wouldn't lose installed programs and document files?  Would that be like doing a System Restore back to the date the Imaging Discs were made? 

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 08:28:25 AM »
    No. System restore protects only the registry and system files. A disc image takes a "snapshot" of your disc and can restore it in its entirety (or any files or folders you choose). The images can be placed on a separate hd and created on a weekly basis. I have always believed that EVERYONE should use disc imaging software.