Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: W7 Boot/AutoRepair/Restore Failure - ? Rename drive from Cmd prompt?  (Read 3469 times)

sinbad

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    W7 Pro 64 (6.1.7600.2.0.0.0 on HP w c300 128SSD at boot drive, - system failed to reboot. W7 start up repair failed; system restore failed. Earlier restore files clearly show the OS  (SSD) as drive c: All drives test AOK including the SSD. I can see the data and the OS from command prompt.

The SSD drive - previously C: now is named G:-- c: drive had only temp files - I deleted those, on the theory that the drive lettering is now my problem, perhaps caused by the auto repair program renaming the drives.

I tried to copy the system files from g: to C: with dos commands, including ROBOCOPY but no joy. Access is denied - hyberfil.sys.

I want avoid a new install if I can. Is there any way to copy or move the system files from g: to C: or to rename G: as C:
     (and rd c:)??

I have the command screen available from a W7 install disk.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Was Win7 originally installed to the SSD ? ?
    Is there another OS installed on any of the HDD's ? ?

If no additional OS's are present power down and disconnect all but the SSD...boot to the Win7 DVD and run the Repair Install again.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "