Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard Drive help  (Read 2443 times)

Bob T

Hard Drive help
« on: August 21, 2005, 01:58:52 PM »
I have installed the HD from my old machine (XP) to my new machine, also XP. I installed the old drive as a slave. The new machine sees the drive & I can see all of the individual files on Windows Explorer, but when I try to use a file on the old drive, eg a picture, or excel file or whatever, I 'm told that access is denied, or some similar message depending on the program trying to access the file.
DIsk Manager indicates the drive is healthy. I have confirmed the drivers are in place. It's a WDC-WD400BB-75CLB0, for what that's worth.
Any ideas are appreciated.

Dr Wahab

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Re: Hard Drive help
    « Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 02:59:59 PM »
    Well friend, try to make your old HD as a master and new as slave. Plz let me know if this solve your problem or how you solve your problem otherwise. I shall be very thankfull to you.
    Bye....
    DeW
    do take care of you and others

LegoLas

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 04:04:33 AM »
      Hey, Bob!
      Some times ago I had the same problem.
      You know, it very regular problem in such situation.
      Turn off the Indexing service (Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services; scroll down to, double click on Indexing, click the Stop button, try moving the files again). That fixes the "file in use" most of the time.

If that doesn't work or you get a message about "access denied" and something about "permissions," follow the steps in the MS KB article, How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP to get to your files.

The "Read only" setting on folders is meaningless and Windows ignores it. Check any folder (not file) on the drive and you'll see they're all marked "read only." Nobody but Microsoft programmers know why.

bobot

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 05:40:00 AM »
      Thanks for your replyies; I haven't had a chance to try your suggestions (I'm away from my machine) but I'll give it a go later &  let you know.

LegoLas, what/where is that article u mentioned?
      Thanx...

bobot

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 05:41:05 AM »
      BTW, bobot = Bob T

dmarti

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 03:58:07 PM »
      heyyyyyyyy, it worked!!!!!!!!!!!  Here is the article for "How to Take Ownership" and it worked for me.  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech#XSLTH3120121123120121120120

:)