Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: White screen on startup? Help!  (Read 3029 times)

roccenstein

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    White screen on startup? Help!
    « on: June 01, 2012, 12:31:52 AM »
    So just recently my PC has started acting up in that when I turn it on, the screen is white.  If I press the reset button, it restarts again with the white screen.  Weird thing is if I let it sit for a while (15-20) minutes and hit the reset button again, it boots up fine.  My first guess was that it was the videocard, so I switched that out but am still having the same issue.  I'm pretty sure it's not the monitor, because during that initial start-up time if I press the power button it immediately shuts off with no delay as though it's not booted up.  What else could be causing this issue?  My PC is about 5 years old and I haven't had to change any of the major components.

roccenstein

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      Re: White screen on startup? Help!
      « Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 11:40:41 AM »
      Anyone...?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 01:53:17 PM »
      Bumping is bad. Don't do it. It could still be the monitor. Another cause of white screens can be the power supply, and the story you tell of a proper reboot after a delay suggests this. So check by substitution at least these things: video cable, monitor, power supply. if all these check out, consider a more general hardware failure e.g. motherboard or RAM.

roccenstein

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        « Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 08:22:38 PM »
        It turned out to be the monitor after all.  After replacing the video card, and switching out the HD from another computer I finally got around to checking another monitor (I put it off because my spare monitor was buried in a crate in the garage, argh...).  Anyway, problem solved!