Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 98 - Files run at Startup  (Read 12150 times)

Koivu

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Windows 98 - Files run at Startup
    « on: May 21, 2012, 05:46:22 AM »
    I recently got my old computer back up and running and I removed a number of things I will no longer be needing. I used to get a message at startup that the system was unable to find a particular file (likely to do with some Internet files that I have removed as it will never again be connected), before I got around to fixing this problem the easy way a friend of mine accidentally clicked 'Yes' on the box. This means that now it is running a new file and I do not know it's exact name. This also happens to be an unistall program which luckily I can say 'No' to at startup. What I would need is a walkthrough for Windows 98 (regedit.exe / ms config) to the files that are automatically run when Windows starts up, I am confident I will be able to find and remove this unwanted distraction as long as I see the list of files, however I do not have the skill required to find this list of files on this system.

I am running Windows 98 (not SE) with no internet access. If this problem is for some reason easier to fix in MS-DOS that can be arranged, I can run pure DOS with my system.

Thank you in advance!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows 98 - Files run at Startup
    « Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 06:06:45 PM »
    So far nobody wants to give you an answer...
    am confident I will be able to find and remove this unwanted distraction as long as I see the list of files, however I do not have the skill required to find this list of files on this system.
    You confidence may be a mistake. As you said, it is a distraction. It is not the kind of thing that breaking into the registry. Unless that is what you enjoy.

Why not use a free program that has been tested by others?
    Here is a program I have used and I believe it is safe. Published 1999.
    Startup Cop: Download It Here

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 06:47:24 PM »
    old versions of autoruns can run on windows 98, too.

Windows 98 has the same information for startup as 95. The relevant keys in the registry are HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run as well as another key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. each item lists the title of the program and the file to launch. Each of these is launched when windows 98 is booted.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Koivu

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 03:51:40 AM »
      Ok, how do I get into the registry?

I also had some old spyware that I removed. Windows is now trying to run 2 files at startup, it cannot find gator.exe

That one should be simple enough to remove...

Windows 95 and 98 can't be accessed like XP/Vista in Windows where you simply see a list of files run at start up?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 04:53:34 AM »
      Ok, how do I get into the registry?
      Using the registry editor. Start->Run, regedit.

Windows 95 and 98 can't be accessed like XP/Vista in Windows where you simply see a list of files run at start up?
      you can use msconfig. But changing options there puts the system in a "selective startup mode". I'm pretty sure that's only a MSConfig term though.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.