Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Upgrading Windows 7  (Read 9254 times)

02bin3

Upgrading Windows 7
« on: June 06, 2012, 08:12:46 AM »
I will be getting a refurbished Lenovo desktop, Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit, as my 2.5 year old ASUS, after many crashes, finally bit the dust.  The ASUS had a Vista OS that Best Buy upgraded to Windows 7 Professional and I have the upgrade disk.  Would it be possible for me to use that disk to upgrade the new Lenovo to Windows 7 Professional from Home Premium?  Also, if this is possible, would I make the backup disks AFTER installing the Windows 7 Pro or before while it is still Home Premium?  Thank you

mektek

Hopeful
  • Witty comment to be advised
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Upgrading Windows 7
    « Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 08:28:33 AM »
    wether you are allowed to install W7 Pro on another computer depends on wether it was a 1 PC version, in which case it has been used, or a full retail version.

If you have the codes then you can try it at your own risk  ;)

I would make backup disks whilst still W7 Home so I could get it back there if the upgrade didn't work and a set of W7 Pro afterwards if it did
    Tiggered - adj : It's been tiggered
    A computer that was working until tinkering broke it

02bin3

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 09:34:37 AM »
    I looked all over the box that it came in and I can't find anything that says that I can't install it on another computer.  I have the Product Key sticker, a little handbook with installation instructions and 2 disks, 1 for 32 bit systems and 1 for 64 bit systems.  It says that it was designed as an upgrade for Windows Vista, however there are also instructions for using it to upgrade from Windows XP, also.  Where would I be able to find out whether I'd be doing something illegal or not?  Thanks for your help

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 09:53:30 AM »
    The EULA for Windows limits installation to one working computer. If you try to install it on a second system you will be in violation of that EULA. The link quoted above simply says you can use an upgrade disc to perform a clean install, but it does NOT allow installation to more than one system.

02bin3

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 10:45:11 AM »
    "One working computer".  Is that the key?  My old computer is no longer working, I've used Eraser on the Document files and I assume I could use it on the OS???  It is just so unstable that it would no longer be useful to anyone.  It will be going to the local landfill recycling bin after I remove a few parts that I think I might need in the newer one.

I read the hyperlink provided by Jason2074, and felt like I'd just fallen down a rabbit hole to the IRS.  One paragraph seems to contradict another, but you can't go by me because my comprehension isn't exactly stellar.

Allan

• Mastermind
    « Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »
    If you uninstall Windows from the old system or trash the old system then yes, you can legally install Windows on a different system.

02bin3

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 11:17:10 AM »
    Thank you, Allan.  Can I get rid of the OS by going to Drives C & D (partitioned) and ask it to Reformat? 

Allan

• Mastermind
    « Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 11:22:05 AM »
    I don't know what you mean "go to drives c & d". You cannot format the system partition from within the OS, only at boot using either a Windows disc or some sort of utility disc with a format utility

02bin3

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 11:39:00 AM »
    If you go to Computer and then Right click on say "C" drive it will bring up a small window that the last item is Properties and a few lines above that it says, "Format", so I assumed, like when we had to format floppies or reformat them to use them over, it would wipe out all information on that drive??  Other than thinking that was the way to do it, I'm not sure as to how to remove the Windows OS from the hard drive.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 03:36:42 PM »
    Then why advise ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    « Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 11:55:05 PM »
    I'm not sure as to how to remove the Windows OS from the hard drive
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/tp/format-c.htm

02bin3

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 05:18:55 AM »
    Thank you, and I will try the options listed.