Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New to Networking  (Read 11396 times)

truenorth

Guru

Re: New to Networking
    « Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 07:14:31 AM »
    overthehill, Within your various posts you may have related to the following question but if so i cannot determine it. So! You run one cat 5 cable from the router to the laptop regardless of length the signal is good.Correct? Now when the problem arises is when the desktop is added is the same cable that was connected to the laptop still connected in exactly the same manner (same ports same length)? The 2nd cable needed to connect the desktop is connected to another output port on the router and to an Ethernet port on the desktop.Correct? When the laptop is alone it always works properly however when the desktop is added the signal strength is sometime good and sometimes not.Correct? What happens if the cable to the desktop is connected at the router end but NOT at the desktop end with the laptop still connected in terms of the performance of the laptop? What happens to the connection strength on the desktop if only it is connected? Is it always good or is it intermittent?truenorth

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Keep Canada beautiful. Swallow your beer cans.
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 09:37:29 AM »
    overthehill, Within your various posts you may have related to the following question but if so i cannot determine it. So! You run one cat 5 cable from the router to the laptop regardless of length the signal is good.Correct? Now when the problem arises is when the desktop is added is the same cable that was connected to the laptop still connected in exactly the same manner (same ports same length)? The 2nd cable needed to connect the desktop is connected to another output port on the router and to an Ethernet port on the desktop.Correct? When the laptop is alone it always works properly however when the desktop is added the signal strength is sometime good and sometimes not.Correct? What happens if the cable to the desktop is connected at the router end but NOT at the desktop end with the laptop still connected in terms of the performance of the laptop? What happens to the connection strength on the desktop if only it is connected? Is it always good or is it intermittent?truenorth

Thanks trunorth, sorry for all the confusion. I'll attempt again to explain my current concern because I can now leave out all the other circumstances that I previously mentioned that were concerning me.Things such as the cables that I was using, testing inside vs outside and wireless speeds etc.

What it now boils down to is this. Lack of consistency when wired to laptop.Desktop is always fine.

1) When router is connected(the tech.connected to port #2) to the desktop I have no concerns.
    2) When an additional cable (either short or long) is connected(to either port #1,#3 or #4 and connected to the laptop that's when it's hit and miss.  <1.0 Mpbs download happens at times. Typically if I'm receiving slow speeds on the laptop when connected with a short cable I can be sure that the same will occur when I connect the 80 ft.cable. And vice-versa. Changing ports does not help when these slow speeds are occurring.

This morning though all is working perfectly. Desktop connected to port#2.   Laptop connected to port # 3 with a 6ft. cable.
    I have my 80Ft. cable connected to port# 4 and when I take my laptop to the far end and connect, all is fine there now too.
    All readings >6.0 Mbps download.

The question is; will it be tomorrow? Only time will tell. Thanks again,overthehill

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 10:28:14 AM »
      Good. Using the tried and true proven technology assist we all have our fingers crossed that it stays that way.truenorth

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 12:11:39 PM »
      Good. Using the tried and true proven technology assist we all have our fingers crossed that it stays that way.truenorth

Your concern and good wishes are very much appreciated. Will keep you posted. Thanks, overthehill

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #19 on: June 09, 2012, 11:16:09 PM »

Your concern and good wishes are very much appreciated. Will keep you posted. Thanks, overthehill

Well it wasn't long at all and I was back to the slow speeds on the laptop. As mentioned earlier it was the lack of consistent
      speed/s that I was dealing with.  And,as I had mentioned previously as well, I wasn't at all familiar with networking and never before had occasion to go wireless. Anyway, I finally found the cure and not sure if this is common or not but took a while to figure it out. If the laptop is connected, (wired) then shut down, when the laptop is restarted it shows that the wired connection is enabled and working properly. Problem at this point is bandwidth speed is now < 1.0 Mbps. The wired connection (in my case anyway) must then be disabled and then re-enabled. Once this is done I'm back to > 6.5 Mbps. When the connection showed that it was properly connected, I assumed that it was, but not the case.
      So, hoping somewhere, sometime, this info. may help someone else.
      Anyway, problem solved and a big Thanks to those that took the time to get involved. overthehill

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #20 on: June 10, 2012, 12:10:00 PM »
      Device Manger--Network Adapters; Double click yours
      Advanced Tab:  look at Properties & Values
      One of those needs to be changed; don't which one.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #21 on: June 10, 2012, 03:38:27 PM »
      Device Manger--Network Adapters; Double click yours
      Advanced Tab:  look at Properties & Values
      One of those needs to be changed; don't which one.

And again C-C thanks. Following your lead
      what I come up with is this, under
      Device Manager etc. and Advanced.
      Hoping that I understood you properly.

Coalesce Buffers - 8
      Large Send   - Enabled
      Link Speed & Duplex -  Auto Detect
      Locally Administered Address - Not Present
      Receive Buffers - 48
      Transmit Control Blocks - 16 

Are these the properties that you were referring to?  overthehill

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #22 on: June 10, 2012, 04:36:20 PM »
      And again C-C thanks. Following your lead
      what I come up with is this, under
      Device Manager etc. and Advanced.
      Hoping that I understood you properly.

Coalesce Buffers - 8
      Large Send   - Enabled
      Link Speed & Duplex -  Auto Detect
      Locally Administered Address - Not Present
      Receive Buffers - 48
      Transmit Control Blocks - 16 

Are these the properties that you were referring to?  overthehill
      Yes, those are the ones.
      It's a long shot, but maybe the one in bold.  Sometimes "autodetect" doesn't work.  You need to know if the router is 10BaseT or 100BaseT; same for the laptop.  Then just choose the appropriate one.  I have seen this situation before, but it's been a long time.  Could be the LAN driver, too.  Might need an update.
      BTW, you didn't say how you did this:  "The wired connection (in my case anyway) must then be disabled and then re-enabled."

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #23 on: June 10, 2012, 05:45:03 PM »
      Yes, those are the ones.
      It's a long shot, but maybe the one in bold.  Sometimes "autodetect" doesn't work.  You need to know if the router is 10BaseT or 100BaseT; same for the laptop.  Then just choose the appropriate one.  I have seen this situation before, but it's been a long time.  Could be the LAN driver, too.  Might need an update.
      BTW, you didn't say how you did this:  "The wired connection (in my case anyway) must then be disabled and then re-enabled."

Thanks C-C. I'll certainly do my best to check out your suggestions. 10BaseT or 100BaseT, I'm not at all sure. As far as enabling or re-enabling , I simply did this through "Open Network Connections" from the "Task Bar". overthehill

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2012, 07:03:17 AM »
        I just want to go back to the beginning of this post and address your reception problem again. I appreciate that you have made some purchasing decisions in order to overcome your distance limitations.However if you are still open to alternatives i want to show you what i have/did to overcome the same problem. I have web searched your modem/router.I feel you are restricting the portability benefits of your laptop by having it tethered to a cable.Here is the link to my replacement antennae that i am using instead of the one that came with my wireless router.
        http://realfa1000mwrouterresources.blogspot.ca/2012/02/airlink101-asb-10ma-omni-directional.html
        I suspect that all connections for antennae on various routers are the same.So examine yours to ensure that it has a screw on connector and then try to ascertain that the one i have linked will be compatible. I only went to the manufacturers site so i haven't done a price comparison but even there it is only $22.00. For your guidance,truenorth

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 04:58:02 PM »
        I just want to go back to the beginning of this post and address your reception problem again. I appreciate that you have made some purchasing decisions in order to overcome your distance limitations.However if you are still open to alternatives i want to show you what i have/did to overcome the same problem. I have web searched your modem/router.I feel you are restricting the portability benefits of your laptop by having it tethered to a cable.Here is the link to my replacement antennae that i am using instead of the one that came with my wireless router.
        http://realfa1000mwrouterresources.blogspot.ca/2012/02/airlink101-asb-10ma-omni-directional.html
        I suspect that all connections for antennae on various routers are the same.So examine yours to ensure that it has a screw on connector and then try to ascertain that the one i have linked will be compatible. I only went to the manufacturers site so i haven't done a price comparison but even there it is only $22.00. For your guidance,truenorth

Thanks once again, truenorth.
        I've checked out the link that you've provided and will certainly keep this option open. As it sits now, my laptop appears to be quite adequate(speed wise) without the hard wire as long as I'm not at the far end of my home. But as I've stated, I can overcome this simply by connecting the Ethernet cable, even if requires disabling and re-enabling the wired connection when at the far end. I've placed the router approx. 4ft. higher than is was (sitting on my desk) and (it seems) that I have seen some slight increased speed benefit and reliability. After more tests if I find that I'm not happy with the wireless speeds I'll certainly go for the option that you provided. And yes, the antennae that I currently have is a screw on. I haven't really yet checked every nook and cranny with the laptop (wireless)but so far appears satisfactory. But believe me, if I start getting hiccups when using my laptop (wireless) between my desk (front of my home) and anywhere in between that and the back ,I'll be checking compatibility(your lead) with my router and if things check out I'll be making the purchase.

Appreciate this, overthehill

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #26 on: June 12, 2012, 10:46:21 PM »

Well truenorth, since my last response I've done speed tests (wireless) throughout my home and I'm quite pleased with the results. But, I can't leave it there. You've got me wondering what type of antennae or cable I would require to improve performance?. Not sure if the antennae that you suggested will work?
        _______________________________________ ____
        Here's what Actiontec suggests.

Question -Can the antenna on the Actiontec Wireless device be upgraded?

Answer - Yes, this device has an antenna that can be removed and replaced or upgraded. The connection method for this device, Reverse Polarity Sub-Miniture Adapter (RP-SMA), is readily available at most computer or electronics stores.
        _______________________________________ ____-

So my question is; as near as I can figure the device (as just mentioned above) appears to be a cable which can be purchased in different lengths. Now does that cable connect to the router and then my current antennae, or ?? .

I've attached a jpg. hoping that you can ascertain the type of antennae connection that I currently have.

Thanks, overthehill

[year+ old attachment deleted by admin]

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2012, 07:01:14 AM »
          Well i think if i enlighten you on my own situation it may help you to decide which way to go.You have seen my replacement antennae and my experience as to the substantial improvement it has given.Now what you were not aware of is that the router to which it is attached IS an Airlink 101 router so compatibility was not an issue when i replace the original antennae with the one on it now. However my belief is that the screw type male/female connectors are universal. However if the brand of router you have offers an "upgrade" extended range antennae it probably is to address the same issue.In my case the replacement antennae has a cord of about 2 feet in length from the antennae with the screw on connector at the other end which screws on to the point at which the original antennae was attached. My recommendation would be to purchase whatever one you wish but do so from a retailer that will allow it's return for a full refund if your not satisfied with the result. I don't know your brand but Airlink is a very popular brand and should be readily available from a bricks and mortar retailer if that is the route you decide to go.   truenorth

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #28 on: June 13, 2012, 09:38:31 AM »
          Well i think if i enlighten you on my own situation it may help you to decide which way to go.You have seen my replacement antennae and my experience as to the substantial improvement it has given.Now what you were not aware of is that the router to which it is attached IS an Airlink 101 router so compatibility was not an issue when i replace the original antennae with the one on it now. However my belief is that the screw type male/female connectors are universal. However if the brand of router you have offers an "upgrade" extended range antennae it probably is to address the same issue.In my case the replacement antennae has a cord of about 2 feet in length from the antennae with the screw on connector at the other end which screws on to the point at which the original antennae was attached. My recommendation would be to purchase whatever one you wish but do so from a retailer that will allow it's return for a full refund if your not satisfied with the result. I don't know your brand but Airlink is a very popular brand and should be readily available from a bricks and mortar retailer if that is the route you decide to go.   truenorth

Well it appears that I'll have to do some more checking around. An yes, certainly don't want to purchase something that doesn't work or that I can't return. Thanks, overthehill