Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: stack overflow error  (Read 4086 times)

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

stack overflow error
    « on: May 30, 2012, 02:06:52 PM »
    Hello

I am getting a 'stack overflow error' when I visit a particular page on a Web site using IE8 (I have Win 7). The error does not appear when I visit the same page using Safari or Chrome.

I have tried visiting the page in 'Safe Mode with Networking', and I have disabled my browser add-ons and AVG anti-virus, but the 'stack overflow error: line 94' still occurs.

What is the best way of dealing with this, please?

High1

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: stack overflow error
    « Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 04:34:09 PM »
    What is the best way of dealing with this, please?
    You may have the answer already. Do not use the browser that gives the error. Is there a reason you have to visit this page with IE8 and not another browser?
    Stack Overflow error is an in eternal error that the user can not regulate with general settings and notions.  It is a concern for programmers who design system-level programs. It indicates a design flaw.
    There is also the likelihood of the error being bogus, an attempt to get you to use some kind of Trojan to 'fix' the problem. Have you any clue to suspect the nite could be a wicked website?

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 05:19:24 PM »
      Hello Geek9pm

No, the site is my own and the files mentioned refer to an ASP Web chat (from theill.com) that I downloaded and was free to customise. It uses ASP and JS. If I use IE I get an yellow exclamation mark in the bottom left-hand corner which points to an ASP scripting error and a JS error. I am not too sure about the JS error (but I could get someone to verify it, I think), but I KNOW there is nothing wrong with the ASP line of script that IE sees as an error. There is no yellow exclamation mark if I visit the page through Safari or Chrome.

I was concerned that site visitors using IE would not be able to use the chat.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 05:51:02 PM »
      Sorry, didn't realize that it was your site.
      An I don't know ASP. So I am not much help there.

If it wee me, I would try dome different things. But not mess up my main site. Likely you have enough web space that you can make another web folder where you can experiment with things.

For example:
        If www.mydomain.com is my main page, then I would create a fold called test_only that most users would never try. I would pull it up as:
      www.mydomain.com/test_only
      and make a bookmark to it.

Next I would take bits and pieces of the code from the main page and test each element until I find the place where IE8 shows an error.

Also, you should be able to duplicate the problem using your own computer as a local web server.