Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Transferring Windows 7 from HDD to SSD  (Read 2904 times)

Dynam0hh

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Transferring Windows 7 from HDD to SSD
    « on: June 06, 2012, 09:59:38 AM »
    I've been having trouble with this for about 3 hours now, and have decided to seek advice!! NEED URGENT HELP! I just spent £140 on my SSD btw.

DriveImage XML is giving me the warning: "Target partition must be at least the size of the original disk" which, by the way is impossible, because I can't partition my current HDD and my SSD is 240GB and HDD is 500GB,

Please can someone help? I suppose that's why I came to a forum really...

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Transferring Windows 7 from HDD to SSD
    « Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
    Drive Image XML is giving me the warning: "Target partition must be at least the size of the original disk" which, by the way is impossible, because I can't partition my current HDD and my SSD is 240GB and HDD is 500GB,
    It means partition, not drive. Unfortunate the wording is  misleading.
    http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm
    Using that  program, reduce the size of the source partition to be  the size that will fit inside of the target partition. This will take some time. It may be a good idea to defrag  it fist.

The only program I know that can do the whole thing reliably in one pass was the old Norton Ghost. You can use programs like GPart, but it is not as reliable. Drive Image XML is very good, withing its limits.