Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CMOS and Defragmentation  (Read 6121 times)

Bireshwari Singh

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    CMOS and Defragmentation
    « on: June 10, 2012, 04:41:24 AM »
    Tabletop PC with Windows XP Prof. Sp2

My hard disk has 4 partitions. While I am able to defragment other drives, I am not able to defragment drive C. When I try with C defragmentation stops,says comlete. Immediately after words if I again analyze C report says  defragment. Then the same cycle is repeated all over again. I tried Defrag through command prompt, but there I am denied permission though I am also the administrator of this single user PC.

Whenever I boot the PC afresh (not restart) screen comes up indicating CMOS settings are in error; press F1 to load default values and proceed or F2 for BIOS (mine is AMI BIOS) set-up utility. I press F1 the OS is loaded and PC works. If I press F2 BIOS set-up utility comes up, all settings appear normal; then after “save and exit” the OS is loaded and PC works. Now BIOS shows correct date and time, but when I check through Control Panel  Date and Time, both are in error: date is about 7 years back  in April, 2005 (it is June 2012) and time is also way behind. I correct them but next time again the same thing happens.

I suspect this F1 / F2 problem started after I had loaded a clock screen saver (ClockScreenSaverSetup), now uninstalled. I am not sure if the defragmentation problem is also connected. Because I tried defragmentation only yesterday.

geek hoodlum

Apprentice
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: CMOS and Defragmentation
    « Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 07:09:55 AM »
    Hi and welcome to Computer Hope!

Have you tried using other programs to defrag your Windows? Try Smart Defrag

I believe you need to replace your CMOS battery.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    « Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 07:24:46 PM »
    I would also run a chkdsk and use windows error checking tool or the very least in your situation run a hard drive diagnostic test just in case. Replacing the CMOS battery could also be make certain incorrect settings as it could be drained or flat. Check also the quick boot option if its enabled and try disabling certain floppy disk controllers as some BIOS have them enabled by default. How come you have 4 partitions?

badai_nila

Rookie

• ~.-SmAlL mAn In ThIs BiG wOrLd-.~
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 09:04:04 PM »
    try this program, all in one solution. have celan disk, check disk n lastly disk defrag.

http://www.freewarefiles.com/ScanDefrag_program_30530.html

then u can this powerfull disk check then build in in windows. maybe ur file system is error.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/CheckDisk.shtml

then u can try this separate disk defrag

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/Auslogics-Disk-Defrag.shtml

n lastly try fix ur registry alo since it also may be conflict to ur trouble.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Registry-Tweak/Free-Window-Registry-Repair.shtml
    All It Matter Is Pure Heart And Sincerity

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 06:33:38 AM »

n lastly try fix ur registry alo since it also may be conflict to ur trouble.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Registry-Tweak/Free-Window-Registry-Repair.shtml

Please ignore this portion of the above post. Registry cleaners can do more harm than good and are not recommended at all.
    11 cheers for binary !

badai_nila

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 03:48:38 AM »
    Please ignore this portion of the above post. Registry cleaners can do more harm than good and are not recommended at all.

hhahahaah... any bad experience with registry before? if u use correct software for the correct job. it can be done nicely. the above i mention is safer since i use it for years now.. registry only system base.. no hardware setting on it except that be used by system or program... it fine by me if u ignore, but for info registry is more vulnerable to virus more then registry edit... so don't abuse other people info without solid proof n not personal problem. thank

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 04:11:18 AM »
    ...Date and Time, both are in error: date is about 7 years back  in April, 2005 (it is June 2012) and time is also way behind. I correct them but next time again the same thing happens...
    This indicates your computer is about 7 years old.  Replace the CMOS battery, probably a CR-2032, available everywhere.

badai_nila

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 04:20:05 AM »
    This indicates your computer is about 7 years old.  Replace the CMOS battery, probably a CR-2032, available everywhere.

yeap that the battery.. it only a dolar or  some cent in us since in my country it only cost 3 MYR... but u need to monitor ur pc. if this thing happen again in couple or several month. then u must change ur motherboard. i once experience this problem. the battery if in good condition shape motherboard can last "forever" until ur motherboard broken since it only used for storage data n setting to motherboard like u put battery in dual digital n monolog clock when u close ur system or turn off pc..

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 05:44:33 AM »

hhahahaah... any bad experience with registry before? if u use correct software for the correct job. it can be done nicely.

• Registry cleaners are extremely   powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive   cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry   is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user   settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating   system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software,   users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file   associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are   reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers"   all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the   system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a   vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly   can render the system inoperable.
    • Not all registry cleaners are created equal.   There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely   the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes   a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on   your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not   find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries   required for a program to work.
    • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes.    If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no   backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A   backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
    • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection   and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes   infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before   the infection is properly identified can contribute to system   instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
    • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous.   In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and   erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result   in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to   correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry   cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
    11 cheers for binary !

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 05:47:48 AM »
    hhahahaah... any bad experience with registry before? if u use correct software for the correct job. it can be done nicely. the above i mention is safer since i use it for years now.. registry only system base.. no hardware setting on it except that be used by system or program... it fine by me if u ignore, but for info registry is more vulnerable to virus more then registry edit... so don't abuse other people info without solid proof n not personal problem. thank

This forum does not support the use of registry cleaners. Please stop posting any advice to the contrary. Thank you.

badai_nila

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 06:15:43 AM »
    owh.. then im the bad guy here..  so sorry about that.. i must appologies cause breach the rule.. please forgive me...

Base2

Beginner
      « Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 12:47:32 PM »
      How come you have 4 partitions?

A basic disk can have either 4 primary partitions or 3 primary and 1 extended partition.

Rgds,
      B2

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 05:39:34 PM »
      How come you have 4 partitions?

A basic disk can have either 4 primary partitions or 3 primary and 1 extended partition.

I think Jason2074 knows you CAN have 4 partitions but was asking WHY they have 4 partitions
      11 cheers for binary !