Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: connect sata hdd to ide motherboard  (Read 2733 times)

ian johnson

connect sata hdd to ide motherboard
« on: September 21, 2005, 03:46:58 AM »
hi ,,i bought a new hdd , 200 gig sata,, i also bought a connecter plug that fits into mother board (mother board is ide) and sata lead plugs into it also ,,this is supposed to allow me to run new hdd,, but computer says no hdd,, to i have to go into bios to change things??   thanx

pcdoc4christ

Re: connect sata hdd to ide motherboard
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 06:19:40 PM »
ian:

If your computer's BIOS is too old it may not support a hard drive that large.  Check the documentation at the motherboard manufacturer's website to see how large a hard drive it will support.  

If it will not support one that large, you may be able to download and install a flash BIOS update.  Just be careful when you install it, because doing it incorrectly could make the motherboard unusable.

Best regards,
Doc

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 04:36:40 AM »
More information needed.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 07:21:41 AM »
hi ,,i bought a new hdd , 200 gig sata,, i also bought a connecter plug that fits into mother board (mother board is ide) and sata lead plugs into it also ,,this is supposed to allow me to run new hdd,, but computer says no hdd,, to i have to go into bios to change things??   thanx

I hope you get this to work. If we knew which motherboard, and hard drive, etc. that could be helpful. Any particular reason you didn't stick with IDE as you knew your setup would handle that?? ???

goejoh

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 09:21:14 AM »
hi, thanx for reply,,
its a micro ATXform factor mainboard put out by data excel ,  about 6 year old,,

i'm trying to connect a samsung serial ATA 200 gig hdd
model sp2004c

i have a p4 mother board i am eventually use,,and when this hdd was offered i took it,,

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 09:31:39 AM »
Your MB preceded SATA drives by about 4+ years. I have doubts you will get it to work satisfactorily. Especially if it cannot be seen by the BIOS.

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 09:45:26 AM »
Does it not have a SATA connector?

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2005, 12:06:11 PM »
Have you checked the manufacturer's website to see if your size and type of HDD is supported?